Moog One ... my wallet just went up in flames.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another awesome nugget from Dan ...
You can sequence automation without notes. So "animator" .. super sweet.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Yes it is a lot of money, but when you consider that a MemoryMoog will cost around 6K the Moog One is surely the way to go and it looks and sounds beautiful - I can't stop listening to that audio demo from Paris Strother (3:08 minutes onwards, especially around 4 minutes beautiful music and sounds) in the Moog One - A meditation on listening youtube clip. I'm looking around my room at what I could sell to fund it, my ARP Quadra and Farfisa Polychrome are looking nervous, but I have had them so long I don't think I could part with them.

Congrats to those who have bought one.
Last edited by synthmagic on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

A decent condition MM will cost way more than 6k. Can easily go over 10k on 2nd hand market.

https://reverb.com/p/moog-memorymoog#used_listings

I don't know about selling other special gear. I mean that stuff is hard fought so seems like a waste to kick them to the curb. That said, I can store that polymoog for you :P

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:38 pm A decent condition MM will cost way more than 6k. Can easily go over 10k on 2nd hand market.

https://reverb.com/p/moog-memorymoog#used_listings
One went on ebay the other week for 5K, it looked in good condition but who knows what nightmares lurk inside waiting to be repaired.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MOOG ... Swf2pbjZzx

I've always had a thing for the Memory Moog, it looks sexy as hell with those big MEMORYMOOG letters on the back. I think I would prefer a Moog One, now.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

By the way ED, I learned the term slew about 1.2 million years ago in a basic electronics course I took in the military. Is there any effective difference between what I consider slew limiting and your request for lag processing? Just curious if its just two terms that mean the same thing. I've used the powers of google for good! But, don't really see a difference.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:45 pm I don't know about selling other special gear. I mean that stuff is hard fought so seems like a waste to kick them to the curb. That said, I can store that polymoog for you :P
yes you are right, I would probably never find them again once gone. I did sell the Polymoogs I had to an electronics engineer(kinda regret that now), but the weight of them and they were always having problems and I ain't getting any younger trying to lug Polymoogs around when they need fixing - I did think one day (when my heart was raging in my chest after carrying it upstairs again) I'm gonna have a heart attack lifting these things up from my underground den.
Last edited by synthmagic on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:50 pm By the way ED, I learned the term slew about 1.2 million years ago in a basic electronics course I took in the military. Is there any effective difference between what I consider slew limiting and your request for lag processing? Just curious if its just two terms that mean the same thing. I've used the powers of google for good! But, don't really see a difference.
Basically the same thing. as far as I have learnt, just different name, unless someone can shed more tech info.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 pm Another awesome nugget from Dan ...
You can sequence automation without notes. So "animator" .. super sweet.
And a bunch of individual lanes. So you could have 5, 10, 15 or more parameters modulated each with its own step values.

I was thinking it before, and read someone else coin the phrase Analog modular workstation. It seems more and more like that.

With just a tiny bit of audio routing changes to allow non-standard audio routing it would be fully modular as well. From a modulator standpoint it already is.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:50 pm By the way ED, I learned the term slew about 1.2 million years ago in a basic electronics course I took in the military. Is there any effective difference between what I consider slew limiting and your request for lag processing? Just curious if its just two terms that mean the same thing. I've used the powers of google for good! But, don't really see a difference.
Slew limiting is usually linear (AFAIK), lag processor is basically just a 1-pole lowpass filter (so it has an exponential response). But these two terms are often used interchangeably.

http://electronicmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Lag_processor

ah, response curve ... I guess slew is just maths to me, so any taper.

Looks like some Eurorack slew limiters actually do have an option for shape of slew limiting, going from linear to logarithmic. But that's news to me. I learned of slew limiter back when I was in elementary school, reading manual for NI Generator (Reaktor v1.0)... Slew limiter is just an integrator, limits the rate of change linearly. Whereas you'd want your portamentos handled by a lag processor (LPF) instead, so that greater changes in voltage are glided into faster than the small ones.

yep, just a different function as in f(n) function not feature as function. Although it's been awhile, I could swear you could control the load of the slew through some integration I forget... lol probably the maths behind an LPF HAH. My brain is too tired to go dig through that stuff again.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 pm Looks like some Eurorack slew limiters actually do have an option for shape of slew limiting, going from linear to logarithmic. But that's news to me. I learned of slew limiter back when I was in elementary school, reading manual for NI Generator (Reaktor v1.0)... Slew limiter is just an integrator, limits the rate of change linearly. Whereas you'd want your portamentos handled by a lag processor (LPF) instead, so that greater changes in voltage are glided into faster than the small ones.
Yes... although I don't have a H/W rack VCV_Rack does a pretty good emulation of Eurorack. Certainly the slews I have used in that have variable shapes.
I find a good way to see how these actually work in the virtual world is with VCV_Rack and running the modules into a scope for a visual feedback of both the Slew/lag output and the result upon the allected signal.
My brain is a bit old and weary now but isn't a lag processor a bit different from just a low_pass_filter. I am thinking of that Bulcha unit .. oops I am confusing low_pass_gate..>> silently fading into oblivion

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”