YAMAHA MODX 6/7/8 Midrange units with Montage DNA

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I couldn't get any sellers to go under $1200, tried for several months. I had a hard time justifying that price when I can get a new in the box instrument with knobs/keyboard/touchscreen for only a little more. I feel like the value ceiling for the fs1r ought to be around 800-900 for what it is. Modx6's are going for that same price now and I'd choose one of those over an fs1r at this point.

This article explains my feelings on the used prices of the thing pretty well:
http://tomellard.com/cave/fs1r.html

He is a bit harsher than I would be though.

What do the The abbreviations AF!,AF2 Mean,at the end of the patches.

Yamaha gives you A CS 80 sample library with this.Has anyone tried it?

bill45 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:41 pm What do the The abbreviations AF!,AF2 Mean,at the end of the patches.
A large number have this code. I believe this means the performance uses both AWM2 and FMX parts. They're all over the place, and that's the only commonality I can find.
bill45 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:31 pm Yamaha gives you A CS 80 sample library with this.Has anyone tried it?
Yep. Some of the sounds are really good, some questionable, and most so-so. Samples are high quality, but ultimately it doesn't turn the Montage or MODX into a CS-80...just a ROMpler, which isn't where these keyboards want to take you.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

bill45 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:41 pm What do the The abbreviations AF!,AF2 Mean,at the end of the patches.
Assuming it is the same as the Motif series, it lets you know a particular sound takes advantage of the Assignable Function buttons. There are two of these buttons.

It is one of my favorite aspects of the Motifs. Through assignments, it allows you to quickly change aspects of the sound. You could, for example, play sustained strings and turn on AF1 and suddenly have pizzicato. In this case, the assignment turns on/off certain elements within the sound. You can use it for all sorts of parameters like add reverb, turn on/off Leslie, quickly change the filter or change the release. I like to use it as a way to turn on and off delay on a piano. I also add or remove certain parts from the voice. I've also used it to add an octave. There are many ways to use these buttons to add creativity. It is really great for live performance.

That could be...for sure. The new family of keyboards is Motif compatible, and features thousands of Motif patches as performances. The new keyboards have assignable functions but these are meant to be secondary to the Super Knob. I will have to try those out as most of the new performances that I've tried don't seem to be using assignable buttons. Thanks for the clarification and the tip!

On the Montage (which obviously isn't a brand-new MODX), there are a number of performances with "AF" embedded in the names. I went through a number of these yesterday, and the "ASSIGN 1" and "ASSIGN 2" buttons (also present on the MODX) don't always do much in them. Sometimes, yes, there's a definite change in the overall sound, but just as often (if not more), there's very little discernible change if any. Again, though, crank the Super Knob and you definitely hear an impact.

I'm suspecting though that iPlogger is right--they're Motif patches converted to Montage/MODX, and re-programmed to do new things. Alas, I don't have a Motif handy to check.

You can go into 'common' -> control assign, then press the auto select box on the touchscreen and jiggle the control to figure out what the assignments are doing. I often have a hard time hearing subtle changes without checking their assignments or putting them through a meter. FM Feedback is funny, sometimes it is drastic and sometimes it is tiny.

I like the cs80 library very much, obviously I have no real cs80 to compare it against, I'm very curious to hear how it responds to the expression pedals that I haven't bought yet. The AWM side of the synth is much more programmable than people appreciate. I could probably get away with using it almost all the time but I love FM too much

iPlogger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:27 pm
Assuming it is the same as the Motif series, it lets you know a particular sound takes advantage of the Assignable Function buttons. There are two of these buttons.

It is one of my favorite aspects of the Motifs. Through assignments, it allows you to quickly change aspects of the sound. You could, for example, play sustained strings and turn on AF1 and suddenly have pizzicato. In this case, the assignment turns on/off certain elements within the sound. You can use it for all sorts of parameters like add reverb, turn on/off Leslie, quickly change the filter or change the release. I like to use it as a way to turn on and off delay on a piano. I also add or remove certain parts from the voice. I've also used it to add an octave. There are many ways to use these buttons to add creativity. It is really great for live performance.
Thanks,I was refer to the Motif.I have a motif rack xs.

bill45 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 pm Thanks,I was refer to the Motif.I have a motif rack xs.
Nice. I have an XS Rack as well. So the functionality is the still the same with the Motif-Rack XS. You just have to access it through MIDI CC. If you have the "MOTIF-RACK XS Data List" manual, page 59 lists the CC values for Assignable Function 1 & 2 as 86 and 87. If you have a MIDI controller which has buttons, assign one to 86 and one to 87 and listen to the differences they make. Even if the sound does not include AF1 or AF2 in the name, still try out the buttons. Many sounds take advantage of these buttons without mentioning it in their name. Pianos often use them. Organs often have AF1 for Leslie and AF2 for maybe a click or adding/removing registers.

iPlogger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:01 am
bill45 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 pm Thanks,I was refer to the Motif.I have a motif rack xs.
Nice. I have an XS Rack as well. So the functionality is the still the same with the Motif-Rack XS. You just have to access it through MIDI CC. If you have the "MOTIF-RACK XS Data List" manual, page 59 lists the CC values for Assignable Function 1 & 2 as 86 and 87. If you have a MIDI controller which has buttons, assign one to 86 and one to 87 and listen to the differences they make. Even if the sound does not include AF1 or AF2 in the name, still try out the buttons. Many sounds take advantage of these buttons without mentioning it in their name. Pianos often use them. Organs often have AF1 for Leslie and AF2 for maybe a click or adding/removing registers.
Thanks this is awesome!!. Thinking of trading my Rackxs in for the MODX6.
I like the patch editor for the Motif

Just received my MODX7 today & made a vid of me toying around with it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir0YX9X ... e=youtu.be

Congrats. Seems those keys are a bit noisy, or am I wrong ?

Fleer wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:34 am Congrats. Seems those keys are a bit noisy, or am I wrong ?
Thanks.Yeah...indeed they do cause a racket...but actually,the action is a welcome change from my M-Audio Code61(as the spring action on it is a bit too stiff.)

MODX sure sounds nice :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”