IK's free UNO Synth Editor now available for Mac/PC and iOS

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

SLiC wrote:If your ARP isn't working after then new firmware when not connected to the DAW.....

If you have used the editor and selected 'USB' for clock then the UNO remembers this and you will have no sequencer or ARP unless you manually turn it back to Internal in the editor before disconnecting.

Important that you do that as I can't see any way it can be switched without the editor (Peter...it may be better to default to 'internal' after power off? What do other users think?)
I would also work with IK Support for this as the hardware hasn't stopped working for many who have updated to this firmware update (as it is required for the editor to work) and the plugin version should work well in your DAW. They'll definitely be able to help.

SLiC wrote:
bungle wrote:WTF ?
Just because other software doesn't support AU because it was designed before AU, means that IK shouldn't support AU, what utter stupidity, if developers thought like that we would still be running directX plugins.

Synth, modulate with host automation, save in project, total recall, etc etc, get over yourself you silly fanboy.

IK had the chance here to be at the forefront of IOS design and would have quite simply been the talk of every IOS chat network.
Do you own an even own an UNO?

Just because someone disagrees with you on what a company should allocate resource to isn't a 'silly fanboy' (practically as the current editor doesn't work in VST mode in all DAWS properly and the new firmware seems to have stopped the hardware working properly, see my posts on Gearslutz.)

People who want Android apps and AU iPad plugs should maybe wait until the VST/AU and stand alone editors work perfectly before they are ported to less common platforms. The people who actually own UNO's need to get the current editors working with all DAWS, everything else is noise/distraction until this is done!
Ohhhhh, you are one of those people who think IK actually update IOS apps to AU, I suggest you check their back catalogue vs how many are AU hahahahaha.
Duh

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
SLiC wrote:If your ARP isn't working after then new firmware when not connected to the DAW.....

If you have used the editor and selected 'USB' for clock then the UNO remembers this and you will have no sequencer or ARP unless you manually turn it back to Internal in the editor before disconnecting.

Important that you do that as I can't see any way it can be switched without the editor (Peter...it may be better to default to 'internal' after power off? What do other users think?)
I would also work with IK Support for this as the hardware hasn't stopped working for many who have updated to this firmware update (as it is required for the editor to work) and the plugin version should work well in your DAW. They'll definitely be able to help.
Hi Peter

the issue (that fought a few of us out) is that if you select usb or external for DAW sync in the editor the uno remembers that, so when unplugged if you haven’t set it back to internal it doesn’t run ARP or sequencers (and currently you would have to plug itv back in to a PC to reset it)

Also DAW sync doesn’t work at all as a VST, the VST doesn’t work in Studio One and only as VST3 in Cubase (all reported)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

NOTE: Observations specific to Cubase 8.5, MS Windows 7 - 64 bit, FirePro w4100 Video card.

* I am just reporting some early troubleshooting workarounds on my system which might help others or be specific to my machine. I will contact support after the weekend is over with more complete information.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been able to get the IK VST 3 editor to respond in Cubase 8.5 by taking the following steps.

Load the VST 3 plugin... set the plugin so that it is receiving and sending on the actual midi cables through an interface - it loads the presets... no stalling. Once it has loaded the presets you can then switch the UNO editor to the USB inputs and Outputs and it responds properly including automation, saving sounds to the computer and storing presets to the unit. This sequence of steps has to be followed each time the plugin in loaded including recalling projects in Cubase. Sometimes switching to midi in and out to communicate via the midi cables causes an immediate Cubase crash/exit.

Cubase 8.5 will not see the VST 2 version of the editor. I have moved it into various folders to force a rescan and confirmed that it isn't present by going into the Plugin Manager and sorting my plugins by vendor... Only the VST3 UNO plugin is visible to Cubase 8.5. I will test this with Cubase 9.5 tomorrow.

On my system, which is optimized for audio, the editor causes audio dropouts in Cubase 8.5 unless I set the buffers of my Raydat cards to 256 samples. The audio dropouts below 256 samples may be specific to the workstation graphics card I use which is an AMD W4100 Pro given that the audio dropouts get worse with mouse movements and opening midi data and automation data when the IK UNO plugin is on the screen. The audio drops immediately disappear once I change the raydats internal buffers to 256 samples or higher OR unload the plugin. Other plugins on my computer do not behave this way as I routinely record at 32 sample latency on this rig.

As Slic has pointed out ... the arp will work if you set it to "internal". Any other setting will cause the ARP to fail on my system.

Other observations: I am testing with Cubase 9.5 tomorrow (PC) and also with Cubase Elements on a Mac tomorrow. I want to see if any of the issues are specific to my OS, USB connections or version of Cubase.
======================================================
Note: It is possible that I have specific PC hardware combination that isn't compatible with the plugin. Specifically I have a USB 3 PCIe card in my system which could be the source of the problems. Also my w4100 is a somewhat unique video card and interactions with it may be causing problems that others may not see. I will be testing the UNO with the built in USB ports tomorrow to rule in or out the USB expansion card as the issue. Again all of this will be reported to Ik once I do some more testing. - Scotty
======================================================

Question for those using Cubase....is there any way around having to have a separate audio input with monitoring on? Ideally, some way of using the editor along with Cubase's "external instrument" functionality?

Otherwise, what are your workflows/IO setups?

So reading this thread, it appears you can't send MIDI Clock and use the VST editor at the same time? This makes sense, as the VST editor would open the MIDI ports (physical MIDI ports or the virtual USB MIDI ports) for communicating with the UNO Synth, thereby blocking the DAW from also opening the same MIDI port for sending MIDI Clock (only one application at a time can access a given MIDI port).

Of course, there are VST's that feature arps that sync to the DAW, so why couldn't the UNO editor receive tempo information from the DAW in the same way, convert it internally to pure MIDI Clock, and send that to the UNO Synth?

A workaround seems to have an extra MIDI cable going from the MIDI Out of e.g. your audio interface to the UNO Synth MIDI In, just for sending MIDI Clock, while the USB port would be used for communication between the VST editor and UNO Synth. So a total of 3 MIDI ports in use (2 virtual over USB, one physical).

I have a UNO in a linux setup, with both usb and din midi cables,
and can turn on the UNO arp, and arpeggiate Sampletank or other
sounds from my midi controller keyboard, and it's great fun,
when UNO arp is in PLY mode with 'hold' enabled, your arps
are guided/limited maily by playing skills and creative thoughts

Looking forward to future releases of the editor :hyper:

Cheers

Attched is a loop using UNO arp, as mentioned above.
I used 3 SampleTank sounds,
a nylon guitar, a sitar and another similar ethnic sound
I then used the UNO arp with PLY and hold,
as mentioned above, and played a bunch of short pieces,
edited them, and joined them in Audacity.

I duplicated that track, and offset it enough to create
some harmonies, re-edited to remove a few 'unharmonies' :dog:
then duplicated that track, and offset it a second time,
just a little bit, to provide a little strum or 12-string jangle
type of sound, and copy/pasted it to itself once.

UNO and SampleTank are a great combo :hyper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Really very cool. I hadn't though of capturing the midi and using in this way with my UNO... very resourceful way of layering sounds and getting the most out of the intelligent sequencer. Nice! - Scotty

glokraw wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:26 am Attched is a loop using UNO arp, as mentioned above.
I used 3 SampleTank sounds,
a nylon guitar, a sitar and another similar ethnic sound
I then used the UNO arp with PLY and hold,
as mentioned above, and played a bunch of short pieces,
edited them, and joined them in Audacity.

I duplicated that track, and offset it enough to create
some harmonies, re-edited to remove a few 'unharmonies' :dog:
then duplicated that track, and offset it a second time,
just a little bit, to provide a little strum or 12-string jangle
type of sound, and copy/pasted it to itself once.

UNO and SampleTank are a great combo :hyper:

Thanks for the nice comments, glad you enjoyed it.
Another fun voyage is to record very fast notes on the high end
of the keyboard, and assemble some offsets in at various points,
syncopated or otherwise, and at different volume levels,
and play it back at various slow speeds, gaps filling in nicely
making a faux tempo.
Sometimes you hit paydirt :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”