Modal Skulpt

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am As I've been saying to someone else on a different thread, you need to defend your ideas, not yourself. Nobody cares about you or I, it's our ideas that need to be shared so stop carrying on about yourself and talk bout the topic at hand. If you didn't explain yourself adequately the first time, clarify your point, don't get the shits because you've made yourself look dumb.
I explained myself clearly the synth has more organic sound what in this made me dumb?Ive compared it to my synths my friends did too and a lot others.I formed my conclusion to get it based on good research before I got it.I can back up what I say but its all subjective so really I will not defend my opinion no point.I already like a lot the synth and I will keep it.Dont like the build quality and the sw bugs but I can live with that

lacandon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 am
BONES wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am As I've been saying to someone else on a different thread, you need to defend your ideas, not yourself. Nobody cares about you or I, it's our ideas that need to be shared so stop carrying on about yourself and talk bout the topic at hand. If you didn't explain yourself adequately the first time, clarify your point, don't get the shits because you've made yourself look dumb.
I explained myself clearly the synth has more organic sound what in this made me dumb?Ive compared it to my synths my friends did too and a lot others.I formed my conclusion to get it based on good research before I got it.I can back up what I say but its all subjective so really I will not defend my opinion no point.I already like a lot the synth and I will keep it.Dont like the build quality and the sw bugs but I can live with that
ok so by these two posts it seems this tangent is through, let's keep it that way :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Back to Skulpt... SkulptS in fact ... polychain 4 of them, spread those 32 voices and 128 oscillators and you have an amazingly rich sound that you might need soft synths like Omnisphere to develop otherwise... lots of fun!

Ye that do be beast but they have now Argon coming too.Ive used skulpt with my H9 and. Especially with the Polara its killer combo.Wirh the randomiser I really got some amazing tones from this thing.

Argon8 is more like Craft Synth 2.0 than Skulpt. A few months down the track I find myself using Craft a lot more than Skulpt. I just find Craft easier to get really nice sounds from, where I have to work a lot harder with Skulpt. I also find Skulpt harder to work with from the front panel, so I pretty much only use it with the app.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:42 am Argon8 is more like Craft Synth 2.0 than Skulpt. A few months down the track I find myself using Craft a lot more than Skulpt. I just find Craft easier to get really nice sounds from, where I have to work a lot harder with Skulpt. I also find Skulpt harder to work with from the front panel, so I pretty much only use it with the app.
The craft its good too yea.I was abble to get quite unique sounds on the Skulpt mostly using the app dont touch much the hw.It does sound quite nice with the Polara.Its a keeper for me its not very unique like architecture but sounds different from what I have and I like that plus I get the type of dark hard hitting sounds easy with the skulpt.I never liked the Blofeld sound had it for years loved the complexity it was near unlimited but just very dull filter for my taste.

Perhaps strangely, I had the same experience with Pulse 2. It was a huge step up from the Rocket I had but, ultimately, it just didn't grab me the way Rocket did. Maybe that form factor is cursed?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Do modal make apps for Android?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Yes, they do, although I can't imagine why they'd bother.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:29 pm Perhaps strangely, I had the same experience with Pulse 2. It was a huge step up from the Rocket I had but, ultimately, it just didn't grab me the way Rocket did. Maybe that form factor is cursed?
Ye the pulse 2 its not as fun the only waldorf I would of like to have is the orange xt its also quite unique proud digital synth.The skulpt suprised me since the begining and still does when randomise u can come with very very good sounds for a synth in thag price range.Its a bit too expensive however actually super expensive because for a bit more the mininova has 3 osc lot of effects modulation slots polyphony etc I just dont like novation sound of any of their synths.
The modulation matrix on skulpt definetely needs a bit more options maybe the filter as well.Feel the same.about the Argon too for the price its not really cheap 2 osc synth its limiting for poly synth.
Also wavetables its extremely boring so many plugins do way better then any hw.Would like something more unique as Unfiltered Audio Lion in hw.

I love my Ultranova and I actually paid quite a bit less for an as-new one than i paid for Skulpt. But I can't compare them, Ultranova doesn't fit in my messenger bag with my laptop. If all you are doing is comparing features, you'd only ever buy softsynths. You have to have different needs/desires to be looking at hardware at all and different hardware will tick different boxes.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 pm I love my Ultranova and I actually paid quite a bit less for an as-new one than i paid for Skulpt. But I can't compare them, Ultranova doesn't fit in my messenger bag with my laptop. If all you are doing is comparing features, you'd only ever buy softsynths. You have to have different needs/desires to be looking at hardware at all and different hardware will tick different boxes.
The hydrasynth got some interesting features.I love sw I also think they also sounds better then now then hw but I can explain just have more fun with hw I feel like I do something real? Especially now since I got the H9 max really opened up lot of posibillities and I start every sound from scratch which I almost never do in sw.Do u have ur eyes on some other synths?
Think Modal will have drum synth as well..For the moment I will get the volca drum its just sick can only imagine with byome inear display and h9 what morphing I can do great times for music.

How rude of me, I didn't answer your question. No, I don't have my eye on anything in particular at the moment, although I am keen to see how Modal's new Argon8 turns out. I do agree that softsynths sound better than hardware these days. I think my need for hardware is purely the habit of 35 years. I don't need it, I just like having it.

It's kind of criminal that this synth has only had 6 pages of discussion. It's worth way more than that.

So as we wrap up 2019 soon I wanted to revive this thread to see how the early adopters of this synth have faired using it, has it lived up to expectations? Has it fallen by the way side? I’m contemplating one of these not for needing one but more GAS if I’m honest.

So a couple of question to follow up really

1. Does this synth sonically have an equivalent Vsti, if so which?

2. Have the kinks been work out of both the app and firmware if they had any?

3. Has the build quality proven quality enough for studio life (I don’t gig) so am really looking for more how the knobs have faired after heavy useage etc

Appreciate any feedback

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:51 am How rude of me, I didn't answer your question. No, I don't have my eye on anything in particular at the moment, although I am keen to see how Modal's new Argon8 turns out. I do agree that softsynths sound better than hardware these days. I think my need for hardware is purely the habit of 35 years. I don't need it, I just like having it.

It's kind of criminal that this synth has only had 6 pages of discussion. It's worth way more than that.
If you purchase that Argon8 please post your thoughts. It looks and sounds like it's checking a lot of boxes for me in a relatively small hardware poly; my Ultranova usually stays in the band's rehearsal space and honestly, I don't like futzing too much with something I'm gigging with (like, I'll write over the next set's presets the night before). I have to admit I feel a little partial to Modal 'cause they think a bit outside the box and seem to really enjoy creating things that are interesting, not just market-driven.

But I don't expect an Argon8 around my neck of the woods to try so will be relying on respected opinions.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”