Modal Skulpt

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lacandon wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 am Got mine the build quality its the worst I ever seen/touched very wobbly knobs.The synth itself sound very nice but I am not.sure if the can add some features in firmware updates?The filter might close a bit more.Maybe few more waveforms?The oscs feel limiting a bit.Overall it does have very ballsy sound would say much better then blofeld and ultra mini nova..If Neutron received such an massive update for analog synth bass station 2 too then what stops.them to do a bit more on this one?
Haven't demo'd this yet (don't think there's anyone near me that carries it, though I think I just missed in in Portland, OR - which, judging from Craigslist, has a huge population of synth owners), but just a general comment about build quality.

I own both an Ultranova and Sub37 (among others). The Sub37 of course is a weighty beast with hardware that feels especially solid. The Ultranova is a toy compared to it - I've had Casio portables that felt more professional IMHO.

Gigging a month or so ago, we dropped the Ultranova off a keyboard stand and onto its backside during a soundcheck - fell on its cables plugged in and turned on. Tossed it back on the stand and continued the night uneventfully. It's been unintentionally abused in other ways, though that was the worst.

I have a feeling the Moog, given its weight, might have broken a hip or something with the same fall ;)

My first keyboard was an Arp OMNI II - all steel chassis, though you could crack those slider covers off using your mind (I think that's how Uri Geller got started). It was, however, always reliable on stage - not something I can say for a few friends' Nords, which I love, but sometimes boot into "what"?

Anyway - over 40 years on/off gigging with keys, I've learned you don't always know how well something will hold up from the general feel. Time - and a few Skulpt owners posting their experiences - will tell.

(I consider the DX7 the Corolla of synths in the reliability department, though one does not have to worry about knobs, just pulling that slider off in programming rage ;) )

(Also OT - the Ultranova may not sound better than anything in particular, but we've successfully been able to emulate virtually everything we've done in the studio with it, and it takes up little space live if you can live with the limited number of octaves, of course - ability to route velocity to distortion makes for some killer Wurli / Rhodes sounds; we get decent B3, Mellotron, and Moog substitutes from it, and all sound just fine live).

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 pm Seems a shame the Skulpt doesn't have Craft 2's oscillators and oscillator modifiers. Would be nice if this could be done with firmware but would probably mean a new machine I guess.
Yep I thought the same thing the craft 2 osc is way better .

So far I have not found that. They both sound great and both are very flexible workhorse type synths. If anything, I tend to prefer the Skulpt's sound, it's just a little bit grittier than Craft 2.0.
SHall1000 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 pmSeems a shame the Skulpt doesn't have Craft 2's oscillators and oscillator modifiers. Would be nice if this could be done with firmware but would probably mean a new machine I guess.
What would be the point of that? As it is, they are both unique and worth having. If one was just a poly version of the other, no-one would buy Craft 2, would they?
JoeCat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:46 pmI own both an Ultranova and Sub37 (among others). The Sub37 of course is a weighty beast with hardware that feels especially solid. The Ultranova is a toy compared to it - I've had Casio portables that felt more professional IMHO.
That's a matter of perception, I have never equated metal and timber with good build quality. Quite the opposite, good quality plastics like you get with hardware synths is far more durable - they absorb scratches and are less prone to having paint/labels scratched or smeared off. My Ultranova feels really well built to me, ready for the rigours of the road. OTOH, my bandmates Sub 37 feels hand-made and, like you, I'd be terrified of dropping it or having it broken in transit. I can't see him wanting to take it on tour if we ever play overseas again, whereas I'd happily chuck the Ultranova into my suitcase.
(I consider the DX7 the Corolla of synths in the reliability department, though one does not have to worry about knobs, just pulling that slider off in programming rage ;) )
I dunno, I've seen plenty with broken membranes.
(Also OT - the Ultranova may not sound better than anything in particular, but we've successfully been able to emulate virtually everything we've done in the studio with it, and it takes up little space live if you can live with the limited number of octaves, of course - ability to route velocity to distortion makes for some killer Wurli / Rhodes sounds; we get decent B3, Mellotron, and Moog substitutes from it, and all sound just fine live).
I think Ultranova has an amazing sound and is supremely flexible. It's an absolute favourite of mine and even though I haven't used it in several years, I've never thought about selling it. I'd probably ditch the Analog Keys before I sold the Ultranova. It's also handy that we can use it as our audio I/O device on stage, eliminating a piece of gear from our set-up (same with the AK).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:48 am So far I have not found that. They both sound great and both are very flexible workhorse type synths. If anything, I tend to prefer the Skulpt's sound, it's just a little bit grittier than Craft 2.0..
JoeCat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:46 pmI own both an Ultranova and Sub37 (among others). The Sub37 of course is a weighty beast with hardware that feels especially solid. The Ultranova is a toy compared to it - I've had Casio portables that felt more professional IMHO.
That's a matter of perception, I have never equated metal and timber with good build quality. Quite the opposite, good quality plastics like you get with hardware synths is far more durable - they absorb scratches and are less prone to having paint/labels scratched or smeared off. My Ultranova feels really well built to me, ready for the rigours of the road. OTOH, my bandmates Sub 37 feels hand-made and, like you, I'd be terrified of dropping it or having it broken in transit. I can't see him wanting to take it on tour if we ever play overseas again, whereas I'd happily chuck the Ultranova into my suitcase.
I dunno, I've seen plenty with broken membranes.
HA! Forgot about those membrane switches - they wear after programming about 3 presets, which would be about 10,000 presses. :D

Ouch! (It's funny because it's true.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

SHall1000 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:11 pm Seems a shame the Skulpt doesn't have Craft 2's oscillators and oscillator modifiers. Would be nice if this could be done with firmware but would probably mean a new machine I guess.
I wonder if they feared cannibalizing sales of their 002 (€3,495) so that's why they made the Craft 2 simpler and monophoninc. A Skulpt with the Craft 2 oscillators would indeed be a monster. As it stands now, you have to choose between polyphony or fancy wavetable oscillators. Though looking at the machines, cramming any more features into them would probably require a larger footprint and more controls (=higher price).
JoeCat wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:46 pm Anyway - over 40 years on/off gigging with keys, I've learned you don't always know how well something will hold up from the general feel. Time - and a few Skulpt owners posting their experiences - will tell.
True, the exterior doesn't really say anything about the quality of the internal components. Plastic is a great material, easy to mold during manufacture, light and fairly durable. Whenever I've had a MIDI controller or synth break, it hasn't been the outer shell that physically imploded - it has always been either the power supply or some knob/slider, display, button or key that stopped working.

You don't have to choose, you can have both. They are tiny and quite inexpensive for what they are.

I've never broken anything, either gigging or in the studio. I had my whole stand collapse on me once, thanks to two drunk girls dancing on stage with me, and my Monologue did a face-plant off the stand a couple of years ago, thanks to a bouncy stage, but nothing broke on either occasion and those are the worst things that have ever happened to any of my stuff. My synths are really precious to me and I go to great lengths to protect them.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:04 am You don't have to choose, you can have both.
True words, this is always the correct answer when trying to decide between two gadgets :)

Interesting if they gonna add some features with some firmware I got some superb sounds of this machine it becomes slowly a go to synth with the randomiser i got top.notch sounds.Speaking here about Ultranova would be nice if they give us simillar desk size buttons only package the sw its great and just controls would.make.it ideal.We most dont have space for.big synths.Sound wise for my taste the Modal totally blow away waldorf blofeld and ultranova even virus but thats of course subjective.

I dunno, Ultranova is capable of some super-lush strings that I don't think Skulpt could hope to match. 18 voice polyphony gets you lots of unison oomph.

The novation just lacks the organic character its not really ballsy sound its.very bland to me as the modal bass why the skulpt kills them all very ballsy synth it is.

I think you must be using it wrong because I find it can be very difficult to tame at times and has no trouble doing sounds that will tear your head off. Honestly, nothing I've ever owned before has had a bigger sound. Even the best softsynth would struggle to out-shine it.

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 am Even the best softsynth would struggle to out-shine it.
There aren't any good soft synths tho??? Oh except maybe Synthmaster 1 and Tal Noisemaker. That's it!

This Skulpt thing is the f**king bollocks, sounds great :tu:

rob_lee wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:29 am
BONES wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:50 am Even the best softsynth would struggle to out-shine it.
There aren't any good soft synths tho??? Oh except maybe Synthmaster 1 and Tal Noisemaker. That's it!

This Skulpt thing is the f**king bollocks, sounds great :tu:
Ive compared it even to.analog ones and it does have very tight ballsy sound.Ive compared with Diva and few others and while they are monsters the Skulpt.still holds and feels very big.Its Modal synth first of all.I dont use the novation ultranova/mininova wrong its noticeable how bland it is compared to the skulpt.The Novation Peak is something else tough but I am sure Modal 002 would not perform bad next to it either.The Ultranova wins hands down on features and all but sound wise I prefer the skulpt.

Would you like to me make some demos to show how wrong you are, then? I'll have to get the Ultranova back from my bandmate but you're going to look pretty silly when I do.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”