IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

Novation added Paraphonic mode to Bass Station 2, witch is weird, because this has been done via firmware and i always thought that mode is "soldered". If thats not the case and its just a software limitation inside i think every hardware maker actually must make paraphonic mode in theyr mono synthesizers.

Why? If a synth only has one oscillator, like an SH101, how do you make it paraphonic? Waldorf's Pulse 2 is able to be used with 4 or 8 notes of paraphony because it uses 8 separate sources to create the square wave for it's oscillators (or something like that), but doing that is very restrictive because you lose a lot of osc features to achieve it. I use the function occasionally for 8 voice unison but I can make sounds that are just as fat and far more interesting by using the three oscillators with all their features intact. I think it would be exceedingly rare to come across a situation where you were happy to sacrifice so much just to be able to play multiple notes. I can think of a dozen things I'd like to see done to Uno before they thought about that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:02 pm Why? If a synth only has one oscillator, like an SH101, how do you make it paraphonic? Waldorf's Pulse 2 is able to be used with 4 or 8 notes of paraphony because it uses 8 separate sources to create the square wave for it's oscillators (or something like that), but doing that is very restrictive because you lose a lot of osc features to achieve it. I use the function occasionally for 8 voice unison but I can make sounds that are just as fat and far more interesting by using the three oscillators with all their features intact. I think it would be exceedingly rare to come across a situation where you were happy to sacrifice so much just to be able to play multiple notes. I can think of a dozen things I'd like to see done to Uno before they thought about that.
I know what paraphony is and that its impossible to do that with 1 oscillator (paraphony = oscillators on 2 or more different keys) but thought its pretty obvious and is out of disccussion because its expected that when there is said Paraphonic the monophonic synth will have 2 oscillators the least :) Sorry for confusing :-D

And i still think if its possible it must be included just as an option, because i like to choose, alot of people like to have a choice if one is available, and if its only a matter in a software level why to make this kind of restriction? it just doesnt make any sense to me, like really you have a choice Monphonic - paraphonic, what advantage does it give restricting this if you can choose, literaly no advantage or disadvantage :)

Interesting comments guys 🤔🤔

I don't meant to interrupt, but if you haven't seen it, check out Part 5 of the Marc Doty UNO Synth series. In this one he goes over the LFO section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XRIJhTWZI
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Who is Marc Doty and why would I care what he has to say? The only one who comes up in Wikipedia is a 65 year old author.
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:51 am And i still think if its possible it must be included just as an option, because i like to choose, alot of people like to have a choice if one is available, and if its only a matter in a software level why to make this kind of restriction? it just doesnt make any sense to me, like really you have a choice Monphonic - paraphonic, what advantage does it give restricting this if you can choose, literaly no advantage or disadvantage :)
Why offer something that no-one will use, when you could devote those resources to things people will actually like? Your statement only makes sense in a world where development resources are infinite but, in the real world, companies have to be very careful where they deploy their limited resources. Also, whenever you add a feature you have to have a way for users to access it. The more stuff that's hidden away, the more frustrating it can be for users, so that's another thing they need to take into account.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Well Marc seems to be known by many who were very excited that he was doing UNO Synth videos (now he's done seven total), but to each his or her own as always!

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:49 pm Who is Marc Doty and why would I care what he has to say? The only one who comes up in Wikipedia is a 65 year old author.
:borg: Yeh, those pesky free informative videos, the bastards!

I have a top tip for the UNO that may help some people (if you are not one of them please feel free to keep it to yourself :wink: )

If you like the modular way of sequencing and adding complex modulation to your UNO, download VCV rack (its free https://vcvrack.com/) and buy the 'VST HOST' module ($30) - you can then use the modular framework (including all the fabulous Mutable Instruments modulators like Marbles and Stages) directly on the UNO by loading the UNO VST editor in the HOST, click to learn and patch a cable in!. It really is the best of both worlds and a lot of fun for 30 bucks.

The video shows a VSTi (which it was I assume designed for predominantly, but you can use your imagination to picture the UNO editor and sound until someone makes a hardware control video!....

https://youtu.be/zTrBjXysa6Y
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Sounds kinda like something I was doing with Thorn last night. It would be interesting to have heard the raw sound first.

If anyone is interested, IK have a carry bag available for Uno - https://www.ikmultimedia.com/iktr.php?P ... UzNDYwNDMw

This thread was helpful in answering a few questions I had before buying. Thank you all.

Got this from the wife for Hindumas and it is integrating easily into my iPad rig.

Got a UNO for a no-brainer price, and it's working
very well in my linux setup, without any tinkering.
As a hardware controller, the UNO keyboard and sequencer
play linux synth sounds, and the sequencer starts
hydrogen's drum machine patterns. Lot's to like
in the first hour!

Soundwise, it's very nice with good earbuds,
so it would be a nice commuters or travel/vacation synth...
I played it with a movie soundtrack running,
and it sounded right at home, can't ask for much more than that.
Cheers

IK's standalone .exe UNO Editor app
is also working in linux with wine-staging!
This is a great gui that opens up all the controls of the UNO,
including the excellent 4 octave arpeggiator, with 15 scale options.

These are the linux settings I chose:

midi input = UNO____________midi soft through = on
midi output = UNO___________knob behavior = absolute
midi controller=(add your keyboard here)_______midi sync = internal

input channel = any_____________send pc = on
output channel = 1______________receive pc = on
______________________________midi interface = on

IK software typically works in most modern
linux-wine combos, and UNO editor coders
keep the tradition alive!

Nice to hear about Linux! Thanks for posting.

We also have new artist presets from Ian "Blandy" Bland available for UNO Synth

Using UNO with some Fathom or Bazille for poly, into
Amplitube with Fulltone OCD and Tercs Chorus into SuperSonic Amp,
followed by the chorus again, and Fulltone delay,
and a little Replika diffusion reverb...SuperSonic model
has lots of tone range. And Found a T-Racks Quad Compressor
in my account, so thanks for that. Always wanted to learn
to use a compressor, might as well start with a quad :hyper:
Sounds pretty beefy.

Curious if midi-learn will be added to the UNO editor?
That would be a blast. Also, a win7 compatible
firmware updater for the Never-10 hold-outs would be
very useful, might even bump the sales a little.
Gotta try out the Blandy presets, UNO makes for
very busy weekends!
Cheers

Using UNO's arp hold feature, I made an up-down arp,
and as it played, browsed some of the free Syntronic sounds,
and found three that blended well, recorded them
and layered a 1 minute loop. UNO is very useful hardware,
but very simple to use, limited mainly by imagination.

also sounds nice played back at 70% speed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”