IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

Great info Bones. I hope that they can squeeze in the modulation parameters with another firmware update. I can see someone making another skin for it. There is a small aftermarket "skin" marketplace for the Neutron and Behringer Model D.

They could just start printing new panels once they run out of the current ones, which I am sure is what they will do. At that point, they may decide to add extra parameters in as well. I like the feel of the touch membrane, there is no way I'd want to put a sticker or anything over it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 am What I look for in a filter is its ability to give me a fat, squelchy bass sound and some do that much, much better than others. e.g. Legend is not very good at that at all, where DUNE excels (because it has filters based on Wasp's awesome squelchy filters).
but you said...
On a related note - I love Wasp!! When I couldn't get DUNE to work, I fired up Wasp and had something a million times better in about two minutes. I was sitting in front of the TV, half watching the footy and half going through presets in my newly acquired NI Massive, as well as DUNE and a few other things. I listened to all the bass patches in DUNE's default bank and about 100 bass presets from Massive and nothing came close to what I got out of Wasp in just a few minutes. When I A/B'd Wasp against Massive and DUNE it was no contest - Wasp had way more bottom end balls than either of them and the way it responded to velocity and LFO modulation was incredible. Where the other synths kind of stomped along stoically, Wasp bubbled and fizzed with life and depth and expressiveness. I'm sure I could coax more out of the others but I doubt they'd get to the same level Wasp is at with almost no effort. Wasp is the supreme synth bass machine, absolutely nothing can touch it.
and again about D2
For me it's the filters I can't get to work as well. Wasp's LP Fat and LP+Notch are what makes Wasp so handy/nasty and irreplaceable

That was before Rich pointed out which filters I needed to use. It also shows the pitfalls of relying on presets to judge an instrument because none of the presets used those filters, the "sound designers" were too busy using the emulated filter types rather than the ones that actually sound good.

We've been using DUNE 3 quite a lot lately. I still hate programming it, especially if I'm trying to tweak an existing patch, but there is no denying the sound quality on offer. But we still use Wasp for most of our basslines, we use DUNE more for lead/bass kind of sounds (longer decay, less resonance but lots of stacked voices). We were using Legend a bit but I find it hard to fit into a mix so I've ended up replacing it in most of the songs, mostly with Wasp. I think the only song we've kept it in is one where it's not doing any bass work.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:10 am That was before Rich pointed out which filters I needed to use. It also shows the pitfalls of relying on presets to judge an instrument because none of the presets used those filters, the "sound designers" were too busy using the emulated filter types rather than the ones that actually sound good.

Maybe you should tell Richard he is wasting his time then and he should just use the Wasp filter in Dune.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 am They could just start printing new panels once they run out of the current ones, which I am sure is what they will do. At that point, they may decide to add extra parameters in as well. I like the feel of the touch membrane, there is no way I'd want to put a sticker or anything over it.
they're usually just laminated or card overlays with all relevant controls punched out so you would still have access to the touch membrane.
that's if they did overlays rather than an updated model now they have tested the water?

The printing looks to me like it's under the top, transparent layer of the touch panel. Anything you place over it would likely kill the touch sensitivity. It's not an old style series of membrane switches like a DX 7 or an old ATM, it's more like the touch overlay from an iPad screen.
AnX wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 amMaybe you should tell Richard he is wasting his time then and he should just use the Wasp filter in Dune.
Rich and I have known each other for more than 15 years, he is well aware of my thoughts on the subject. DUNE did, in fact, start out as an update to Wasp but grew into the monster it is now. I think I liked it most when we were still calling it Antidote (when it was just a single layer and only had the V/A oscillators) but, unfortunately, Rich never made a 64 bit Antidote alpha so I've had to leave it behind.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:54 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 amMaybe you should tell Richard he is wasting his time then and he should just use the Wasp filter in Dune.
Rich and I have known each other for more than 15 years, he is well aware of my thoughts on the subject. DUNE did, in fact, start out as an update to Wasp but grew into the monster it is now. I think I liked it most when we were still calling it Antidote (when it was just a single layer and only had the V/A oscillators) but, unfortunately, Rich never made a 64 bit Antidote alpha so I've had to leave it behind.

Actually, Antidote, although having some similarities, was nothing to do with Dune (Dune came first). Antidote was a "new "virtual-digital" synth, inspired by a wide range of digital hard- and software, such as the JP-8000, Virus, PPG, DX7/9, etc..." and was a dual part synth, much like Sylenth, and had VA/WT, FM and supersaw oscs. Dune was originally called Swarm.

As an outsider, you have no idea what you are talking about. The Antidoe RE that Synapse sell is not the Antidote that we had as an alpha before DUNE, although I suspect that both products came from the same development thread. I think it would have forked around the time Rich had the idea for the Differential Unison Engine and changed the name from Antidote to DUNE. Ask any of the long-term beta testers and they will confirm (I started beta testing for Synapse in 2001).

BONES wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:46 pm As an outsider, you have no idea what you are talking about. The Antidoe RE that Synapse sell is not the Antidote that we had as an alpha before DUNE, although I suspect that both products came from the same development thread. I think it would have forked around the time Rich had the idea for the Differential Unison Engine and changed the name from Antidote to DUNE. Ask any of the long-term beta testers and they will confirm (I started beta testing for Synapse in 2001).
im not talking about Antidote RE. Maybe if you actually read the beta forum you wont look such a fool in public. There was NO Antidote before Dune.

Want me to PM you links to the prove I am right? First Antidote version was April 2012, Dune was released Nov 2011.

Really? Then what is the Antidote VSTi that features all through our last album? Is it a figment of my imagination? Do I really need to show you a screen shot? Are you that intransigent/stupid that you can't accept an obvious reality? How do you get through a normal day?

i have it, i dont need a screen shot.

like i said, read the beta forum, look at the dates. its all there.

if it wasnt bad form i would put grabs up of the forum here...

Edit: i know you havent checked as your last visit to the beta forum was Sept 27th. I suggest that you look.

OK, so given that you know exactly what I'm talking about, why go to all the effort to derail this thread? If we're talking about what came when, it's hardly relevant, although I'm still pretty sure you're wrong, given that my skin projects started out being called "Antidote " and only got changed to DUNE near the end of the cycle.

Anyway, you have to learn to put personalities aside and focus on the issues. It's not hard. This is about IK's Uno Synth, try and keep to the topic if you can manage it.

apology accepted :wink:

Not to interrupt all that above, but please note that UNO Synth does not use membrane keys but utilizes capsense touch sensitive technology.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”