IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
BMoore wrote:What are people basing "it sounds good" on?
50+ audio demos and already many who have stopped by and used UNO Synth in Berlin.
Yeah. No.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

fluffy_little_something wrote:Bacana :tu:

When it is 100 analog, how can it have a value display and presets? 8) Or are the 128 steps of the display and control resolution just rounded values?
think of it like chase bliss audio pedals "analogue heart/digital brain"

OneOfManyPauls wrote:100% analog signal path doesn't mean it only has analog circuits throughout.
The audio path is analog so you are correct... For example there are control path elements (like LFO, envelope, for example which are not part of the audio path) that are digital but the audio path is indeed all-analog.

Not for me but I'm sure the kids will buy it......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

For some reason at first I thought it would be something like a circuit, that would be quite nice.

Do really anyone still use AAs (or AAAs) batteries????

pc999 wrote:For some reason at first I thought it would be something like a circuit, that would be quite nice.

Not really, wouldn't have cost a vast amount more to make it rechargable nowadays.
Duh

OneOfManyPauls wrote:100% analog signal path doesn't mean it only has analog circuits throughout.
Exactly. That phrase is often code for "there are digital circuits in there." You don't need to qualify all analog with "signal path" if it's actually all analog.

That said, people should get the idea that I'm using that notion to criticize this synth, I'm not. There's nothing wrong with having digital circuits in the right places in a a modern synth. What's not clear to me yet is whether or not these are actually VCOs or, rather, DCOs and to what extent that subtlety can be explored. Given that there is no crossmod or sync of any sort, my money is on that they are, in fact, DCOs, but to be clear, I don't know at all and I haven't heard much that would shed any light on that.

All that said, that filter is ace! I really like that they've chosen a 12dB filter instead of 24 and that it has nice subtle saturation. The real time controls are a mixed bag for me, but, as far as bass synths go, I think that there are some ok choices there, e.g., for a bass synth, I agree, better to have two stages per filter and amplitude than four stages on two rows. For other kinds of sounds, that's a weakness.

Also, if they are actual VCOs, then they have really missed the boat by not having interaction between them. That is a key feature for a two oscillator synth.

I'm not considering buying one ATM because I have more synthesizers than I actually need and I tend to work mostly ITB. If I were going back to doing live stuff though, I would buy this over a volca without hesitation.

Oh, and I don't give a shit what was meant, it's not any kind of "paradigm shift" for anything, anybody, anywhere..jesus!

Some ppl are really something else....

Anyway, here's the deal: I'm getting one. Maybe not right now, but I will get one unit. There's no competition in the Volca price range, and for once, here's a proper synth for a bargain price. No argument.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:Some ppl are really something else....

Anyway, here's the deal: I'm getting one. Maybe not right now, but I will get one unit. There's no competition in the Volca price range, and for once, here's a proper synth for a bargain price. No argument.

Same here.

Im surprised by the sound quality, it sounds beefy, better then most competition in that price range, wich if ofcourse a bit subjective, well done IK :)

Sound demo 19 (of 51) sounds quite modular, I realy like it. I am looking forward to seeing the manual, apparently you can lock up to 20 parameters per step...the delay is a nicecedition at this price point as well.

Audio in mixer....I wonder how long it will be before they release an analog drum machine in a similar form factor
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ghettosynth wrote:Oh, and I don't give a shit what was meant, it's not any kind of "paradigm shift" for anything, anybody, anywhere..jesus!
From IKM's perspective, surely a shift from samples+modelling in software, to building a physical analog-signal-path hardware unit could legitimately be described as a "paradigm shift" for them?

OneOfManyPauls wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Oh, and I don't give a shit what was meant, it's not any kind of "paradigm shift" for anything, anybody, anywhere..jesus!
From IKM's perspective, surely a shift from samples+modelling in software, to building a physical analog-signal-path hardware unit could legitimately be described as a "paradigm shift" for them?
yawn!...and no.

pc999 wrote:For some reason at first I thought it would be something like a circuit, that would be quite nice.

I've got 5 tv and audio remotes that use them, so i guess hundreds of millions of them are in use daily.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

bungle wrote:

Not really, wouldn't have cost a vast amount more to make it rechargable nowadays.
a) You can get rechargeable AA/AAAs easily enough, although the voltage requirements might mean they don't last very long in the instrument - voltage tends to fall quicker in rechargeables as they discharge.

b) If you're using something like this live, having backup power in the form of some spare alkalines rather than having to hunt for a socket and wait for it to charge has solid advantages.

But, christ, "paradigm shift". On this basis, I managed to paradigm shift my breakfast this morning. I cooked something a bit different.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”