U-he Hardware - CVilization Eurorack Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:
Urs wrote:Another pic and more info:

https://www.superbooth.com/en/eventdeta ... ation.html

- U
nice! still mysterious but all those lights :o :love:
I assume it's easy to guess now that it's 2 columns of 4 fancy rotary encoders each with a colourful LED inside :clown:

Also, 4 LEDs on top indicate 4 modes.

The whole thing is quiet mesmerizing. I predict that some people will put it in their rack and just stare at it instead of making music.

Urs wrote:
recursive one wrote:I'm sorry to ask, but how much does this delay the long-awaited Z3 release (if it does)?
Not so much - the HW team is newly hired externals (Tubbutec), the software should take less than 4 weeks of development overall, for one developer who's not particularly involved with Zebra3. Marketing, Graphics and organization are not involved much with Z3 anyway.

I'll put quite a few days of my time into this... but then, many of the new concepts of Z3 are based on my Eurorack experience. Many of the concepts we did around the time I posted this thread don't appear to be this good anymore. It feels like we're skipping Z3 and working on Z4 instead.
Thanks, that's good to know. TBH I have no interest in Eurorack-type hardware (and generally in no hardware whatsoever unless it's Virus or something similar) but I have quite a few U-He plugins and it is good to see the company is growing and taking new directions.

But this makes me wonder what Z3 will eventually be and how useful will it be for people like me who are comfortable with traditional subtractive/wavetable/hybrid synths but aren't smart enough to grasp the modular synth concepts. I used to think that Z3 will be mostly the same as Z2 but with better sound like Bazille/Repro, but it seems to be taking a completely different direction.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:I used to think that Z3 will be mostly the same as Z2 but with better sound like Bazille/Repro, but it seems to be taking a completely different direction.
Both. It'll mostly be Zebra as it is. But a few things will be a bit more elaborate. And example:

Zebra3 is going to have a page we currently call "Pitches & Glides". This is where you set transpose, microtuning and glide time, but also whether or not you wish to quantize MIDI Notes to a certain scale, e.g. minor or pentatonic. You can also add a modulation source to pitch, e.g. and LFO for vibrato or an envelope. So far so good. However, you're not restricted to one such tuning. You can have up to 4, and each oscillator, filter whatsoever can subscribe to either of those 4. So you can tune your oscillators right there, and you can tune them so that the chords or intervals are always within the scale you're using.

This is very similar to how our stuff has Glide and Glide2, resulting for instance in KeyFol and Kefol2, which are automatically mapped to Osc1/3 and Osc2/4. Only, with Pitches & Glides you're a whole lot more flexible.

Yet, because everything in P&G 2, 3 and 4 defaults to P&G 1, and everything (transpose, tuning, quantization, modulation) is optional, there is no difference to how it is in Zebra2, unless you tick a box and make it so.

This is a concept we're transforming from modular stuff in to Zebra's conceptual space. Similarly, we're going to allow to disconnect trigger and gate events from NoteOns. Like we did for envelopes in Tyrell and Hive, but on a larger and *consistent* scale. So that, Zebra can have step sequencers which trigger envelopes, LFOs, MSEGs in more complex patterns and be controlled by MIDI or automation. By default however, everything works as it currently does.

Consistency is a key word here, we're eliminating "this works like that, but this does something similar, just slightly differently".

Urs wrote:Consistency is a key word here, we're eliminating "this works like that, but this does something similar, just slightly differently".
One method to rule them all, One method to find them,
One method to bring them all and in the dark zebra bind them.
Feel free to call me Brian.

:o

Soooo, does it make a noise?

Urs wrote:
recursive one wrote:I used to think that Z3 will be mostly the same as Z2 but with better sound like Bazille/Repro, but it seems to be taking a completely different direction.
Both. It'll mostly be Zebra as it is. But a few things will be a bit more elaborate. And example:

Zebra3 is going to have a page we currently call "Pitches & Glides". This is where you set transpose, microtuning and glide time, but also whether or not you wish to quantize MIDI Notes to a certain scale, e.g. minor or pentatonic. You can also add a modulation source to pitch, e.g. and LFO for vibrato or an envelope. So far so good. However, you're not restricted to one such tuning. You can have up to 4, and each oscillator, filter whatsoever can subscribe to either of those 4. So you can tune your oscillators right there, and you can tune them so that the chords or intervals are always within the scale you're using.

This is very similar to how our stuff has Glide and Glide2, resulting for instance in KeyFol and Kefol2, which are automatically mapped to Osc1/3 and Osc2/4. Only, with Pitches & Glides you're a whole lot more flexible.
So, for example, I will be able to make a patch with three or four oscillators tuned to different chord steps and then play something, say, in natural minor and it will play the right chords

These step sequencer things you are talking about seem very interesting. Some psytrance artists like Martian Arts and Eat Static heavily use modular hardware and create some sequenced patterns which probably are hardly possible to make by traditional MIDI sequencing. Combined with the sound quality of the latest U-He synths it must be a game changer.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but for me Z3 is the most anticipated piece of gear.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Urs wrote:
The whole thing is quiet mesmerizing. I predict that some people will put it in their rack and just stare at it instead of making music.
that's kinda what i do anyway.
plug all kinds of things in to other things, then just let them go and see what happens :hihi:

the lights flashing just adds to the psychedelia :lol:

Hmm Urs have you ever been on a UFO? Have you ever been abducted by aliens? Or...are you an alien?! I mean it's called Civilization but there is a UFO on it so you must mean an alien civilization. I've always thought Urs was not quite of this world. :o

edit: Oh it's called CVilization...silly me I'm such a lazy reader. Cheesy name in a cheesy font with a cheesy UFO that looks like a cheeseburger. :tu:
Urs wrote:Also, the design has changed a bit, the new "UFO" looks a lot more grown up (see our Superbooth18 invitation pic)
Why does it have to look grown up?

Those LED rotary-encoders are really bright. 8 of them on a small panel will possibly make this the brightest (and most colourful) module on the planet. It must look like a lit Christmas tree in real life! :hihi:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Can not resist posting the rack we're preparing for the show...

Urs wrote:Can not resist posting the rack we're preparing for the show...

Look gorgeous, but you're mean. :x You left your module out of the picture :hihi:

Wait... It's in the lower row, more or less in the middle, at the left side of the Maths module, isn't it?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:It's in the lower row, more or less in the middle, at the left side of the Maths module, isn't it?
Yep. With some luck we'll have two prototypes, then I'll probably swap Levit8 for it and use both.

:love: :love: :love:

nice rack! :oops:

vurt wrote:nice rack! :oops:

It's a bit on the safe side. Nothing overly fancy, very clean design. No computers, no hidden settings. The signal path is almost built into the layout.

Marbles, Grids, Branches and Tides are new to me, so I'll take the opportunity to check them out. Might swap one of my fav modules back in, Euclidean Circles, also maybe Tempi.

The idea of this rack is that there are 4 voices: Three osc/filter based synths on top left plus Elements in the middle row. These will be controlled by the Xaoc Sequencers on the bottom, running through CVilization. In latter I can swap the sequences for each voice, transpose them, mix them, change the range of the sequences, mute them, sample & hold them and also change scales and all. It's going to be the central element of the performance.

The other Mutables are supposed to work as clocks and drivers for some drums and noises, which hopefully do a couple of interesting bits. Part of the performance will be controlling the density and randomness of the rhythm.

All mixing and effects are done on the right hand side, including a bit of live mixing of what's going out to the audience.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”