U-he Hardware - CVilization Eurorack Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, what does it do?

AnX wrote:So, what does it do?
Something that is easy to show in a video but hard to explain in a sentence or two.

It's got 8 knobs (endless encoders, actually) which have nice multi-colour LEDs inside. 2 colums of 4 of these. These 8 knobs are not only the input devices (push or turn), they are also our display with 2 x 4 pixels. So the unit is highly visual with a lot of feedback. However, it's also a prototype, so some of this feedback is not yet there.

What it does is very simple but effective. It easily replaces 3 or 4 modules that take up a magnitude of the space, yet I believe it's still very easy to use. Not intuitive, but quick to learn.

Out of 4 Modes, we have almost finished 1, mainly because this prototype has been up and running for less than 3 weeks in our HQ.

Mode 1 is a 4 x 4 Matrix mixer. It lets you take 4 audio/CV inputs and create 4 independent mixes of these on its 4 outputs. Normally such a unit needs 16 knobs. But as we use our LEDs to show gain with brightness, we get by with 8 knobs. The 4 on the left represent inputs while the 4 on the right represent outputs. Their colours match the colours printed on the panel next to the I/Os. Push one of the knobs on the left and theLEDs on the right hand side shows how much that inout contributes to each output. Tunr those knobs to change the mix. Alternatively, push a button on the right and see & edit the mix for that output on the left. This is stupidly simple.

Whatever knob was pushed, it starts "breathing" to indicate that it's selected. That for a change is quite intuitive. If you push it again, you're back on the "performance page", where no input or output is selected. On this page, turning a knob/encoder mutes or unmutes it (where it turns red, of course).

And because we can, we also added a quantizer, a sample and hold and a glide into it. Push and hold down a knob/encoder on the right for two seconds or so and you enter three pages to edit individual scales for each output, select a CV input for S&H and dial in a glide time. Again, you do this twice, you know how it works. It's still dead simple. Also, you normally set this up once per performance and forget about it. All the action is on the main page above.

Furthermore, hold the mode button on the top, push any of the encoders to load one out of 8 presets per mode. The same, but long press an encoder to save a preset. Very simple.

I made this module for myself. It'll be at the heart of the systems I use, simply because I can control up to 4 tonal voices in a very small space and with a lot of convenience. It can do many things, but this thing alone is going to change how I do modular, and some feedback we got indicates that a few people might feel the same. All we need is a set of really good videos which demonstrate just how plain simple this works.

(it does have drawbacks of course... the size comes with tradeoffs, such as accidentally pushing a button while editing another, or simply forgetting what was where. I didn't have any bad accidents though in using it every day for a week)

Ok, i get that, thanks for the info :tu:

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, that's utility module. Might be little dissapointing for fans of analog-modelled synths :hihi:

Impressive design tho, I wonder how many people will be able to memorize all the functions :P
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:Well, that's utility module. Might be little dissapointing for fans of analog-modelled synths :hihi:
Doing an anologue modelled synth for Eurorack would be a bit... odd? :clown:
Impressive design tho, I wonder how many people will be able to memorize all the functions :P
I've seen people use Tempi :hihi:

With the quantiser only full scales can be selected? I found when doing generative patches that it's super useful to be able to define arbitrary scales.

So if you random modulate pitch cv, you can alternate between, say, scales of only three or four notes to get melodic movement.

Maybe if there was an editor, then in an performance this could work even without a full UI?

Taika-Kim wrote:With the quantiser only full scales can be selected? I found when doing generative patches that it's super useful to be able to define arbitrary scales.

So if you random modulate pitch cv, you can alternate between, say, scales of only three or four notes to get melodic movement.

Maybe if there was an editor, then in an performance this could work even without a full UI?
User defined scales will be a common request. So we'll try to add this. We do not have a concept yet on how to do that. An external editor may be an option, but is considerably time consuming. A built-in editor would be great, but it will be very hard to accomplish with the goals we have (ease of use).

I do have an idea though... similar to Marbles, how about this:

4 user defined scales, which would be recorded directly into the device.

- Go to quantization page

- Select chromatic scale, or any scale you wish to create a subset of on output 1

- Use an 8-step sequencer or a keyboard to find the notes you want on output 1

- Hold down Output button 1-4 while playing the notes you want - this records the scale into memory 1-4, release button when done

This way, set up 4 user defined scales which are available on any output.

Something like this should be easy to implement and is maybe not too difficult to use.

that sounds pretty cool, so you could have a different seq on each out put too?

vurt wrote:that sounds pretty cool, so you could have a different seq on each out put too?
Sure. Different mix = different seq. Or, in Mode 2, a different seq on each out.

It's pretty cool to have one seq here and the same seq inverted there. If you then use different rhythms to clock the S&H, it's like a bunch of different seqs. I'd always keep one input to transpose though.

it sounds like a very useful little module, ill make sure to keep some hp available :)

I can't say about that since I haven't read the whole thread and am not completely clear on the whole operation of the module and the rest of the workflow.

But 4 scales is plenty, especially if that's in addition to the normal available full scales.

Taika-Kim wrote:I can't say about that since I haven't read the whole thread and am not completely clear on the whole operation of the module and the rest of the workflow.

But 4 scales is plenty, especially if that's in addition to the normal available full scales.
Cool!

Additionally, we will need to add a root note selector anyway, so there'll be a lot of mileage from a limited number of scales.

Right, as long as that is before the final quantisation. Then again, I guess having the root modulation after could also have some use?

Taika-Kim wrote:Right, as long as that is before the final quantisation. Then again, I guess having the root modulation after could also have some use?
I don't know yet. Would love to keep it simple, not sure how to add "everything" into the two CV inputs.

I think pre-scale transposition is the most interesting feature, before post-scale transposition and root note shift.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”