Behringer Neutron

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJ Warmonger wrote:Neutron IS an eurorack module as well, isn't it? 84 HP for 300 USD... that's less than some custom modules on the market. Many of those are hand-made, so the costs go up high.
Yes, and in one of the videos by someone sent a test unit, he takes it apart and sticks it straight into his rackbrute setup.

And that red panel just 'pops' in his rack.
Can't wait to get my hands on one for a demo.

So is there a release date yet? I don’t even see pre-order options yet. Looks like the Behringer D 2nd run won’t be until May? I think I’d prefer the Nuetron though....more flexible, less Moogy.
Logic Pro X : Prophet Rev2, Blofeld, Toraiz-AS1, Model D, Minibrute, MOTU 828x, Presonus Eris E7's, dozens of pedals

Synth Anatomy 30 minute first look & impressions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00e17rJ645A

Gianni Grisanzio aka SynthGuru versus Behringer Neutron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzRbOZaDHg

I'm having second thoughts, and have come to the point where I will have to play one in person, or see a REALLY good demo that aligns at least partially with the way I would be likely to use it, before I decide to buy.

Nothing has made me doubt that it's a decent synth, and the price is fantastic.

It's more about my needs and wants. I'm not going to buy it on features because I have all those features (minus a BBD, which I could get easily enough). I'm not going to get it just based on price, because I prefer a lean and mean setup and I've already stripped that down somewhat recently; I don't consider anything in my rack replaceable by the Neutron except maybe one filter and envelope. So it's got to be the synth's overall character that convinces me. Can I love it as much as my Microbrute?

And apparently I'm a horrible backseat driver with synth demos. I keep finding them frustrating, for this synth at least. I couldn't watch the whole "synth guru" thing; I started skipping around and then gave up and fired up my Microbrute and immediately felt relief. (It proved I'm not just being cranky and depressed and hate everything right now, which, well, maybe a little.)

Something that bugs me about this is the few Dreadbox Erebus demos I've heard seemed pretty nice to my ears and I'm mostly not getting that vibe. Some of what Behringer themselves did in their first couple of videos sounded good but there's been a lot of meh since then.

Anyway, let's hear some fat triangle bass with just the right saturation but minimal resonance. Let's hear FM, and filter FM, and phase modulation using that delay, and other things modulated at audio rates. Do some chorus with the BBD. Repatch it so the filter -- or the slew limiter, because it's a filter too -- is in the BBD feedback path and let's have some nice dark dubby echoes. Repatch so the overdrive comes before the filter. Run those nice VCOs through a good Euro LPG. Crossfade between the VCOs. Patch a square VCO into the envelope or LFO retrigger and use it as a waveshaper. And so on. It's a frickin' modular, treat it like one. ::shakes fist at demo people::

Do we know how big the BBD is? That is going to dictate whether it is better for long delays or Karplus Strong, for example.

Honestly, judging Neutron on its own merits, this is a great monosynth. Really, it is quite remarkable what they've been able to pack in for so little money. And for people just starting out without much hardware, it seems like a no brainer. That isn't me, however, and it isn't some of the other folks posting here either. For those of us who already have a few monosynths and a bunch of eurorack, there just isn't much new or interesting on offer here.

My advice? Wait a while and pick one up on the used market for $225.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Gaz Williams from Sonic State brings us an in depth look at the Behringer Neutron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BHp4sJreU

doesn't seem that big, I think it can be placed next to a modelD on a desk comfortably. It has everything the ModelD misses : sync, pwm, S&H, 12 db etc.
they complete each other perfectly and combined make one super mono synth.

The Gaz Williams video was helpful -- he might not have the modular mindset (yet), and still has some things to learn about it. But it was a nice clear demo of each section and with the high audio quality I hoped for. I have a better opinion of the filter now, and the synth overall, and some confidence that patching it in more involved ways will be rewarding.

I'm pleased to hear a lot less whine from the BBD than on the earlier units. (8192 stages I believe.) Nicely dirty when he pushes it, and just the right amount of dark.

And just like that, it's back on as a planned purchase :hihi:

I feel harsh saying this, because he seems like the loveliest bloke going, but Gaz Williams' tendency to faff with things really irritates me.

Nonetheless I agree a good demonstration and I too am thinking about a Model D/Neutron combo.

Here's a pretty good video showing off its capabilities...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6xXaQcHHc

transmetropolitan wrote:I feel harsh saying this, because he seems like the loveliest bloke going, but Gaz Williams' tendency to faff with things really irritates me.

Nonetheless I agree a good demonstration and I too am thinking about a Model D/Neutron combo.
I skipped through and got nothing out of it, he doesnt really know what hes doing. But yeah, nice enough bloke.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

He was out of his depth, and didn't come off as organized and prepared... but we got to hear parts of the synth in isolation much more clearly than in any of the other demos so far. That was enough for me to get an idea of the character of the synth.

Was the price ever confirmed on this one? I really like the sound and usability of this thing. Definitely going to pick one up if the rumoured 299 is true.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”