Samson Graphite 49 and vst synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, i bought the Graphite 49 midi keyboard. I set it up to work with Presonus Studio One 3, control the mixer, transport etc. But i can't find a way to control the vst synths, everytime i press midi learn on the synth, it doesn't do anything, is there some button combo i have to press? Is there some kind of layering?
The way i set it is like a midi keyboard first and then as a mackie control on midi channel 5, in order to make the transport and fader control work.

If it is mackie control only you are out of luck. Its a way too complicated proprietary "standard" which should be banned and is ment to control mixers (also the mixer in a DAW). Basically its a bunch of sysex and needs two way communication.
I don't know this keyboard, but it might have a mode which is not makie or hui. You want straight midi controllers. If it isn't capable of delivering that, I would call that KB useless...

I have that keyboard that I use with Mulab no problem, no Mackie needed for Mulab but can't really say how it would work with Studio One. There is a PC editor for it that might help, also make sure you are running the latest driver for the Graphite. With the original drivers there was an issue regarding it not turning off properly.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Thanks guys. After a few days, i'm determined to return it.
Zero support from the company...
The keyboard works fine with the Presonus preset that comes with the midi kb,but doesn't work with vst's, meaning that when i open the vst and try to assing a knob to let's say filter cutoff in repro 1, it doesn't do it. The midi monitor in Studio One doesn't show activity, so i guess there would have to be a layer of midi when selecting and tweaking a vst and when i close it, it should work as a control for the DAW.

Is this correct? Are there any midi keyboards that work this way? Control the vsts' (after midi learn) and the transport/mixer at the same time?

This is from Uhe's Repro manual, not sure you should be expecting Studio One to be assigning the parameters or not.....

"8-2 MIDI LEARN
The MIDI LEARN page is where you can connect MIDI CC (see above) to almost any Repro-1
parameters. The MIDI data can be generated by adjusting the knobs or faders on a hardware
controller, for instance, or by a track in your sequencer.
Learnable elements appear as selectable outlines. Controls that are already connected appear
filled, while the outline of the control waiting to be MIDI-learned is highlighted white.
Try it: Click on the Cutoff knob (it is then highlighted) and send Repro-1 some MIDI CC data
by adjusting a knob or fader on your MIDI controller. Switch to the MIDI TABLE page to check
that the new connection has appeared in the list, then exit via the [X] button. To remove the
new assignment, go back into the MIDI Learn page and double-click on that control.
Note: You can access all parameters without exiting MIDI LEARN. Simply switch between the
SYNTH, TWEAKS and SEQUENCER pages, or between the KEYS and EFFECTS"
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

After messing around with the midi keyboard, i still cannot do what i want.
But i've found a workaround.
Preset 16 is for Presonus Studio One, works good and if i set the keyboard as a controller, i can control the mixer and transport controls in the DAW. I then load a different preset where i can assign midi learn functions to the keyboard. So in order to have both, i have to switch presets, not ideal...
The ideal would be, and I don't know if this can be done, is to have a button to change between the 2 presets, or some kind of layering. But again, Samson support is useless...

Try using the bank buttons.
You can switch between bank A/B so each control can be setup to send different MIDI CC Data.
It's like having 16 sliders, 16 knobs, 32 buttons and 8 pads.

Didn't work, returned the damn thing! :)

It worked fine on CalkWalk Sonar X3 using mackie control, it Controls the vsts and the transport/mixer at the same time. It's like having 16 sliders, 16 knobs, 32 buttons and 8 pads.
I loved this key Board.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”