Behringer UB-Xa Synthesizer (OB-Xa clone)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The past does not exist.

sqigls wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:00 pm Sorry Tom, but i'll be buying the desktop version for sure.
I'll be making my own UI sheet for it though, those Oberheim stripes have always wigged me out for some reason.
same here, not a good look

Agreed. Never liked those Obie stripes. They were stupid from the get-go and still are. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:37 pm Agreed. Never liked those Obie stripes. They were stupid from the get-go and still are. :)
They don’t even look good on the Hamburglar.

nobody?

tough crowd tough crowd

how much it will cost for the desktop ver?
Inside R&D Episode:
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/01/beh ... -ubxa.html

Amram wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 am how much it will cost for the desktop ver?
Inside R&D Episode:
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2018/01/beh ... -ubxa.html
I'm not an engineer, but would high resolution DAC mean digital oscillators? Also, he mentioned doing the envelopes in software, again, meaning those would be digital?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp-UmxMDXKQ
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:59 am I'm not an engineer, but would high resolution DAC mean digital oscillators? Also, he mentioned doing the envelopes in software, again, meaning those would be digital?
Not by necessity, it could just be digitally controlled envelopes of an analog path and on analog synths having presets - we would expect a lot of those anyway.

Knobs control a dac for a voltage that control the rest etc.

As I recall Deepmind have analog path all the way, if you want - but effect unit at end is digital and you can bypass it to keep true analog for your signal. So no effect and all is analog.

Neutron is analog all the way with at least delay as effect, since bucket brigade is analog technology. Noisier but works really well with that unit. But no presets of course.

Really impressed by Behringer on synth side and will look with interest on this OB-XA units arrival.

Slight correction, Neutron is not analogue all the way. At least the LFO is digital (hence it's capable of direct midi sync which is awesome and works perfectly).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

High-resolution DACs would replace trimmers from the original voice cards, basically giving you software control over what trimmers adjusted per voice, vs having to open up the board and deal with electronics physically.

Some of my fav synths of olden times had digital generated lfo and envelopes. Even the old primitive microcontrollers back then could do just as good slow stuff like lfo and envelopes, and much simpler and reliable than analog elements with digital control (for preset storage if nothing else).

A couple of old ones with digital lfo and envelopes I liked were rhodes chroma polaris and ensoniq esq-1. The polaris however used curtis chip oscillators and the esq-1 used dco short wavetables. Both used curtis filters. They were both quite fat and analoggy sounding if need be. The esq-1 a bit gritty on some waveforms because of the incredibly crude digital oscillators of the time, but still overall sounded great. Especially on the esq-1, having digital envelopes and lfos meant there were LOTS of envelopes and lfos available for a patch, compared to the all analog polysynths of the era.

The problem with software envs was never the slow stuff, it's the fast stuff. And old microcontrollers just couldn't do it. Plus resolution wasn't as great as these days, so you get steppy envelopes.

Maybe. The z80 in first generation polys were typically 8 mhz 8 bit and barely able to keep up scanning the front panel, the keyboard, and refreshing all those DAC multiplexed sample and holds to send control voltages everywhere.

But for instance the polaris had a TI 16 bit microprocessor running at more reasonable clock speed, and such as esq-1 ran motorola 68k as in pre-osx macs, which were quite capable (for that era) and a joy to program in asm. The lfos and envelopes were purt smooth.

Nowadays a cheap ARM would entirely leave such as 68k in the dirt, but OTOH 68k for some reason was just so much fun to do asm in. :)

Uli, in one of his updates, said they couldn't fit all the components into a desktop module without heat issues. I don't know if that entirely rules out them making a desktop version, but it's worth noting. I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it came in desktop or rack.

As for the timeline, Uli said it will take them much of 2019 to get the firmware right. The modulation matrix work, along with it being poly with many voices, makes it complex to my understanding. He said that they would likely start early production late 2019 and introduce to market early 2020… assuming no delays.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”