How to load sysex banks to my access virus B

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello , I have a Virus Indigo and I want to upload the Banks A, B and M to my Virus B ( file ABM.sysex) through sysex. I want to do , with MIDIOX , Elektron_C6 or some Midi editor

I do not know the parameters to be able to do it
Does anyone know how to charge the banks?

Thanks !

I've only done something similar to this with MIDI files
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote:I've only done something similar to this with MIDI files
And how do you do it ?...With a midi editor?

What steps must be followed?

hi, it was a while ago - I've done it with several synths..

so dumping

I created a MIDI track in my DAW (Cubase). Set it to record

then there would be some command on the synth and I set that off (with record still running on the DAW). After a short while the synth indicates it's done something. Stop record. I usally can't see much on the MIDI track but it's there.

import
just put the .MIDI file in the DAW. Set the synth to receive, hit play. Hopefully you will see the synth showing some activity. If it fails, try changing the speed of the MIDI playback, like maybe 60bpm rather than 120 bpm.

I've done this several times with the Virus B.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Some hosts will filter sysex by default. You'll need to ensure they record and play back sysex correctly.

Sysex messages are like any type of MIDI message such as CCs or aftertouch.

Sysex is MIDI event code F0 to FF. F7 is the "end of sysex" code. F0 is a standard sysex message and is immediately followed by an ID: one word (depending upon value) and optionally two more 7-bit words for a full 21-bit ID.

The data follows immediately after the ID code, 7 bits at a time (0ddddddd) followed by "end of sysex" (11110111 = F7). The length isn't specified at all other than by the "end of sysex" message, so a device must have a buffer long enough to receive the data pre-allocated. Software can just allocate several megs for this where most sysex dumps are only a few kb.

Codes F8 to FF are for sync messages including clock tick, start, continue, stop, active sense (FE) and reset (FF).

This means a tool can be constructed specifically for the job and it will know exactly how long the data is and will be able to deal with other sysex messages too. Such tools are generally much easier to use than simply recording the sysex in your host.

ChamomileShark wrote:
I created a MIDI track in my DAW (Cubase). Set it to record
the problem is that I do not have Cubase ,...I use Tracktion :(
for that reason, I wanted to know how it's done in a Midi editor
aciddose wrote:
This means a tool can be constructed specifically for the job and it will know exactly how long the data is and will be able to deal with other sysex messages too. Such tools are generally much easier to use than simply recording the sysex in your host.
That's the problem too, I do not understand MIDI :(
I do not know if you have to increase the buffer, lower the bpm or what parameters to use in the virus.

And also it seems strange to me that nobody knows the steps to follow, without Cubase
And with the program MIDIOX, if I could update the operating system

The only reasons why I even looked into this thread is, that I had a similar problem once with the Virus B, so I pretty much know how you must feel. :)

I just tried to receive a dump from my Virus and that's how I did it:

- open MIDI-OX
- in the menu under "View" click "SysEx..."
- a window opens -> set your focus to that
- in the menu "SysEx"click "Receive Manual Dump..."
- a message appears telling you to start you dump from the Virus -> do so
- when the dump is done, confirm in MIDI-OX (you'll see where; a window opens)
- in the lower part of the window - the "Display Window" -, you see the whole SysEx dump, which you can now save.

I did not send it back to the Virus. But there are several options in the SysEx window, which should do the trick:

- in the menu under "Display Window" you can save your dump to a file and then later:
-> in the menu under "File" - when you saved the SysEx dump to a file - you can send the file

- in the menu under "Display Window" I think you can now send the dump back via "Send Scratch Pad"

The last part is just a guess, but I'm pretty confident... And there are a few more option how to send SysEX in that window. I think, you'll figure it out, without doing any damage. I assume that you know how to set the MIDI ports in MIDI-OX. If not, I can try to write a little addendum later or tomorrow. Depends. :D

vegaron wrote:
The last part is just a guess, but I'm pretty confident... And there are a few more option how to send SysEX in that window. I think, you'll figure it out, without doing any damage. I assume that you know how to set the MIDI ports in MIDI-OX. If not, I can try to write a little addendum later or tomorrow. Depends. :D
Ummm,Tomorrow I try to do it, thanks :wink:

send or save sysex files, same no problem, but receiving new sysex to the Virus,It can also be the configuration of some virus parameters, that I do not know for now

For now ,Checksum Error is what it tells me

Such tools are usually called "sysex manager" or a "sysex librarian".

LastSystem wrote:For now ,Checksum Error is what it tells me
Who tells you that? The Virus B?

And may be that this is already the problem, but is the Indigo really 1:1 compatible to the Virus B? One parameter more on the Indigo's side and the Virus B doesn't know how to handle the data anymore.

vegaron wrote: - in the menu under "Display Window" I think you can now send the dump back via "Send Scratch Pad"
transmitting, it does it perfectly and then, I have sent it back (but with"send sysex") , and everything is correct
Nothing happened with "Send Scratch Pad"
vegaron wrote:
LastSystem wrote:For now ,Checksum Error is what it tells me
Who tells you that? The Virus B?

And may be that this is already the problem, but is the Indigo really 1:1 compatible to the Virus B? One parameter more on the Indigo's side and the Virus B doesn't know how to handle the data anymore.
then can that be?... Indigo , Is not compatible with B virus?

But the OS, yes ?? I updated it with the

I have tried to load other sysex files, downloaded from the access virus website, but I get "Checksum Error" again

I think the problem is in the parameters, that I do not put them correctly

As it seems the Indigo is the Virus B in another package, so at least that should not be the problem.

What OS do you have on both Viruses? The one I have is OS 4.9. Maybe the sounds you want to use require a newer OS.

You could try to reset your Virus B by holding both "SHAPE" buttons while switching it on. I (again) think this will also give you the possibility to check all buttons and potentiometers. The Virus will tell you then what to do.

Next thing I would do, is checking the settings. The right setting for receiving a dump is in the Virus' "CTRL" menu. There go to "MIDI DUMP RX" and set is to "ForceToBankA". This will store a single sound bank from your computer to bank A. I would try sending a single bank first, not the global dump. If you want, I can send you a working sound bank for the Virus to test if that gives you an error too.

Another setting I just found in the manual could be the cause of your problem. It says that both Viruses must have the same "MIDI DEVICE ID", which you can also set in the "CTRL" menu. Both must have the same ID or the receiving Virus can be set to "OMNI". Both is possible.

Then, check if in the "CTRL" menu under "MIDI CONTROL" the "LoPage" is set to "Contr" and the "HiPage" is set to "PolyPrs". I don't think this is related to SysEx dumps, but do it anyway. (;

After you have done all that, you can try to send a SysEx dump to your Virus.

Hope it helps... :-?

I have only one Virus Indigo , I'm sorry if I expressed myself badly
I have OS 4.9 , I was able to update it with MIDIOX
I did the "shape" thing ,.. but, I do not solve anything

vegaron wrote: Next thing I would do, is checking the settings. The right setting for receiving a dump is in the Virus' "CTRL" menu. There go to "MIDI DUMP RX" and set is to "ForceToBankA". This will store a single sound bank from your computer to bank A. I would try sending a single bank first, not the global dump. If you want, I can send you a working sound bank for the Virus to test if that gives you an error too.
Where can you get that bank A?
If you give it to me, thank you :tu:
vegaron wrote: Then, check if in the "CTRL" menu under "MIDI CONTROL" the "LoPage" is set to "Contr" and the "HiPage" is set to "PolyPrs". I don't think this is related to SysEx dumps, but do it anyway. (;
I already did it too, but still giving error :?
Anyway, thank you very much for your help

Already done many combinations, I should have written them :roll:

the right thing would be like that, I think :

MIDI DUMP TX = singlebuff or Total
MIDI DUMP RX = Ena
MIDI globalchan = 1
MIDI Panel = int+midi
CLOCKRX = Auto
MIDI progchange = Ena
MIDI Multiprogchf = Ena
MIDI deviceid = 1
MIDI CONTROL loadpage = contr
MIDI CONTROL hipage = polyprs
SYSTEM menprotect = WARN

...but still giving error :(

To update the OS was this and it worked correctly: :tu:

MIDI DUMP TX = Total
MIDI DUMP RX = Ena
MIDI globalchan = 1
MIDI Panel = int+midi
CLOCKRX = DISABLE (the manual recommends it)
MIDI CONTROL loadpage = sysex
MIDI CONTROL hipage = sysex
SYSTEM menprotect = WARN

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”