FYI - new Studiologic SL series Editor is crap!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It doesn't save correctly, you cannot transfer to anything other than program 1 on the keyboard. It won't correctly save changes made on PC, it goes on. And with nothing but very basic editing on the SL88 the editor is critical!

Really nice keyboard to play, crap organisation and operation.

Been trying to get answers from Studiologic for a few days now, nothing! Pretty typical though of Studiologic PC programs...their editors in the past all had issues as well!

Thanks miden. Interesting. I usually don't use synth editor programs and haven't so far tried the SL editor.

My SL88 seems quite easy to edit just with the tiny screen, three buttons and a knob. Or at least my setups are simple enough to be fast and easy just with the front panel.

Maybe it helps that so far the default keyboard velocity map fits my fingers fine. All I need to adjust so far is programs, splits, layers, midi output port assignments, and pedal / joystick assignments to various splits or layers.

One thing I need to investigate, haven't needed it so far-- I've either forgotten reading about possible support for short sysex control messages, or maybe the keyboard doesn't have that ability? Not a deal-breaker but sometimes short sysex control messages can come in handy.

What features do you need the editor for? Custom velocity maps or something else?

For an example, one option is that on the keyboard you can only set the volume to 0, which of course STILL transmits this value when switching programs, It is only with the editor that you can actually set the CC 7 to OFF, so nothing in the laptop app (Cantabile) gets changed. Sadly though there is no MIDI filter available on either the keyboard or the editing app. Only filter available is for MIDI merge data.

Also it seems that the editor does work in a fashion, however the methodology is unique haha! After some back and forth with Studiologic, I have figured out the "system". And it is different to pretty much any other windows type app!

Yes, its a bit frustrating....I have to agree. Not only occur the above mentioned problems but how on earth do you edit the project data base on the ORGANIZE panel????

Agreed, the editor is very poorly documented.

I did solve one problem though: the editor will not write to the keyboard unless you go to the Global/Midi page, select SL Studio Port 2, and then click connect. Once you do that, voila, you finally have real-time read-write to the SL88.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”