What's the Best Software Editor For Pulse 2 ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone have any experience with any of the software editors for Waldorf's Pulse 2? I just bought the unit and the Monstrum one seems to be the most used but my experience with their Rocket Editor has not been great and they haven't responded to my request for tech support, so I'd prefer to find something else if possible. Any suggestions?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

No experience because I don't own the synth, but here is a thread at GS questioning the editors available:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... oices.html

Here is one about the monstrumPulze editor:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ditor.html

Not much info in either though, so I don't know whether they help at all.

Thanks. Yeah, I've seen them but my own experience with Monstrum leads me to think they are somewhat less than reliable. I paid for and downloaded one yesterday but the download failed and it won't let me try again. I've emailed the dev but heard nothing back. I think I might be out 6 euros. The guy also does a Minilogue editor. I tried the demo of that yesterday and it doesn't work at all, so I may have done my 6 euros anyway, even if I can eventually download it. I found a new one for $25 but the UI is absolutely disgusting. The functionality seems good, though. It's not really a big deal, most of it's not that hard to program from the front panel.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I use the editor made by synthmania.de.

It lacks 2 features: patch saving on the hardware (anyway but it's not a big deal doing that directly from the hardware panel) and arpeggiator editing (again, not a big deal for me, I can do that on the hardware or just use an arpeggiator in my daw). Other than that, it does the job in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't use the editor often, and I use it mostly to manage automation (for me it's easier using a vst plugin for this task), so I don't have big expectations in this case, other than handling midi cc and automation without mistakes.

There are just two thing to be aware about synthmania.de: the software is sold "as is" (as far as I know, I can be wrong), so it's a very good idea to take some serious time with the demo version, and the developer speaks very very very little english (and that could be a problem if you need to get in touch with him - unless you speak german - so it's best to spend some more time with the demo).
I have absolutely no issue with those things (even if I don't speak german!) but it's something to be aware of, in order to keep the experience as smooth as possible.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Thanks for the reply. I finally managed to download the one I've paid for but I won't know how good it is until I get the unit, which is still about 12 days away.

May GAS not be with you in this quest, Bones. As far as I can count and remember you got Orion as base, then you have Novation Ultra Nova, A minilogue and a monologue, a rocket and now Pulze is on its way. Hope you are not contaminated.

Which will be among your live set up btw? You won't be touring with Ultranova but minilogue, right? Is there room for more?

It's OK, I have no intention of keeping everything. I'd have sold the Minilogue already if it wasn't the perfect size for carry-on luggage. (The Ultranova is too big and I don't trust airlines not to be pedantic about it.) As it turns out, though, we're not going to take the Minilogue now, either. I bought a controller with mini-keys yesterday, an Arturia KeyStep in limited edition black, and it makes the Rocket a much better alternative to the Ultranova than the Minilogue. So we'll just have the Monologue and Rocket on stage this time around, although if I get time to play with the Pulse 2 before the gig, it might also get a cameo (the KeyStep makes that a simple thing to do).

Once we get back I'll have to decide if I need both the Pulse 2 and the Rocket. I might even think about the future of the Monologue. As much as it has been the catalyst for all this renewed interest in hardware, it is probably the most easily replaceable of the instruments I have and I sure as hell don't need four hardware synths. I'll be very happy if I can get it down to just two - the Ultranova is definite and I assume the Pulse 2 will be the other but who knows, I might not like it as much as the Rocket once I get it and I won't hesitate to put it back up on eBay if that's the case. If I end up keeping all four, I know that at least two of them will hardly get any use because I just don't have room for the Ultranova on my boat and even two keyboards is hard to organise. So I can see my home set up being the Pulse 2 and Rocket, plus the KeyStep, with the Monologue and Ultranova sitting unloved in my garage until we have another gig.

BONES wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 10:24 am Thanks for the reply. I finally managed to download the one I've paid for but I won't know how good it is until I get the unit, which is still about 12 days away.

Hey Bones, I'm now looking for an editor for my Pulse 2 and I've seen both monstrumpulse and the synthmania´s editor. Just wondering how is going with the one you have, I reckon is the monstrumpulse right?

Cheers

I don't use it, it's more hassle than it's worth. I've been doing everything in the unit for ages now.

Bumping this old thread because I just picked up a Pulse 2 and I’m looking at the editors listed above and the newer Mystery Islands editor ($30).

https://www.mysteryislands-music.com/pr ... f-pulse2x/

My two main requirements for editors are usually AU and standalone (primarily for the librarian features), but it looks like the Mystery Islands editor is the only one that is available as an AU, but doesn’t appear to work in standalone. Anybody using the Mystery Islands editor? Thoughts or other considerations?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”