Waldorf Quantum - 8-voice hybrid synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, you can import whole folders of files at once and you can add whole folders to a map.

The Mod button below the display makes most modulation routings very easy. You press the Mod button and all the LEDs for controls which can be modulated turn blue (all other lads turn off). You turn a knob for a parameter you want to modulate and then the modulation sources light yellow. Turn the amount control for a modulation source and then it's controlling just the amount for the source you just selected. You access the modulation matrix with the Mod button above the display, for deeper modulation routing.

A new firmware update was recently released which fixes the external MIDI sync issues I encountered. It also adds tools for custom tunings and the ability to import single cycle wave forms as wavetables. When you do that, it makes and an 8 stage wavetable that morphs between a sine and the imported waveform.

I hope to get some video recorded next weekend.

I'm so excited about the new 1.2.3 firmware version. Feels like a Christmas present to me. They fixed
Fixing clicks at release end while other notes in sustain
which rendered a few of my patches unusable because you had this annoying click sound in pad sounds.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Quantum tomorrow :D

Did you contribute sounds to the Factory Sound bank?
Yeah, I noticed some issues with clicking, when using long release times or when voice stealing occurs. It seems to be much better after the update but I have still had some clicks when using the Resontator.

I've been making wavetables with WaveEdit but I'm not getting the results I expect when importing them. I'll have to experiment more. The single cycle import works well but I wish I could choose two or more waveforms to morph, rather than having to use a Sine wave.

I still haven't touched the sequencer. I'll get into that this weekend.

Would love to see Rob post a video doing some sound design on this beast of a synth :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Here's a quick sound demo that Gearslutz user Genshi posted on GS. He also made a couple videos with some of his presets.

https://soundcloud.com/genshi/waldorf-quantum-demo-jam

Here is one of the videos from Genshi... 7 of his own presets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJwQMvwuE8M

F***ing great!

Shame it doesn't come with a vsti editor like virus snow.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

How many soundset releases would it take to cover the cost of the quantum?

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:16 am How many soundset releases would it take to cover the cost of the quantum?
really?

work it it out....

how much would you sell them for?

how many ppl actually own the hardware?

don't forget to add the cost of your time....

should be a simple equation

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:16 am How many soundset releases would it take to cover the cost of the quantum?
Sell your sound expansions at €55 and you'll soon pay for the Quantum. I haven't played mine for a few days, Christmas and beer n stuff but next week I'll be in to it deep.

I have some good fun sampling the outputs of Quantum to make entirely new patches, too much to mention about Quantum, so many features, in the new year maybe some demos.

SD card is cool for importing your own samples etc, my Quantum is totally initialised empty unit ready for my own creations.

Anyways back to the festive beer sessions, enjoy :party:

Rob

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:13 am F***ing great!

Shame it doesn't come with a vsti editor like virus snow.
IMO editors are bullshit mate.. you get the hardware for hands on control and programming IMO.. the whole point is to get rid of the mouse for me.

Still sounds pretty flat and un-3D to me :shrug:

You can hear the scope of possibility with the actual sound design, but the resulting soundscapes just aren't tickling the ears like they do with (say) an old Roland digital monster or (dare I say) a Montage.

TBH, none of the Quantum demos really "wow'd" me so far. I think Waldorf used to make better synths before Wolfram Franke left the boat. Just my opinion.

It sounds very much 3D and non-flat when you actually play it IRL. :D

tehlord wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:26 pm Still sounds pretty flat and un-3D to me :shrug:

You can hear the scope of possibility with the actual sound design, but the resulting soundscapes just aren't tickling the ears like they do with (say) an old Roland digital monster or (dare I say) a Montage.
I don’t know, those last two demos from Genshi sound pretty great to me, though I’m still not hearing those analog filters adding much of anything. Seems to me that they could have done this synth all digital and sold it for half the price.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”