Waldorf Quantum - 8-voice hybrid synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tehlord wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:13 pm
I really want to like it because of all the reasons you mentioned lol.

As soon as you have time, make sure you put up some meaningful demos :wink:
No problem I also forgot to mention the fantastic on board sequencer it has. Downside it's built like a tank and takes up way too much space, needs a new desk all for itself, would have liked a module version better.

Rob

It looks like my Quantum will ship early next week.
Looking forward to playtime... not looking forward to pulling out my patch bays to get everything hooked up. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 pm It looks like my Quantum will ship early next week.
Looking forward to playtime... not looking forward to pulling out my patch bays to get everything hooked up. :lol:
Great I hope you like the Quantum Justin it's some synth :) I haven't touched mine in 3 weeks but after this weekend I'm free for a month to play again.

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 pm It looks like my Quantum will ship early next week.
Not sure when mine is shipping. Could be a week, could be a month

Mine is coming direct from Waldorf, I'm not sure when stores in the US will get them.
I'm very excited. It may actually arrive on Monday. I've been pouring over the manual and videos for weeks, so it already feels pretty familiar. I have a ton of modular synth samples and field recordings ready to load into the thing.

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm Mine is coming direct from Waldorf, I'm not sure when stores in the US will get them.
I'm very excited. It may actually arrive on Monday. I've been pouring over the manual and videos for weeks, so it already feels pretty familiar. I have a ton of modular synth samples and field recordings ready to load into the thing.
Some people have already been receiving theirs from Sweetwater. There are a number of pre-orders before mine so I will receive one from the following shipment, whenever that arrives.

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:39 pm Mine is coming direct from Waldorf, I'm not sure when stores in the US will get them.
Hey Justin just a thought.. don't forget to have one of these on hand when you take delivery lol

Back breaker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ImageImage

Super Fresh!

Oh man... I played until I was bleary-eyed last night! This is such an incredible machine. The sound is amazing and I've only just started exploring.

I went trough most of the included patches just to get an idea of the character and it's clear that the sound palette is very diverse. I'm particularly fond of Howard Scarr's patches as most make great use of aftertouch and the mod wheel. They are just fun to play! I also have to mention patches from Maxime Dangles and Joerg Huettner. Fantastic stuff!

I've always wanted a knobby Waldorf wavetable synth and I'm so glad I waited for this one. The granular synthesis, physical modeling and analog filters just take this thing over the top, not to mention the vast modulation capabilities. Rob is right, the effects sound fantastic.

I have found a few quirks but so far nothing major. I'm having trouble using the internal arpeggiator when the keyboard is set to 'Local Off'. I commonly configure synths this way, so I can use the synth and it's keyboard independently. Occasionally, I also get some spurious notes from the arp when configured for external MIDI sync. I'm sure these issues will get ironed out in an update.

The verdict from me, after the first day is definitely positive.

Thanks for the info Justin!

Howards makes fantastic patches... his latest stuff using wavetables in Hive is great.

How are you finding working with the Quantum? Workflow I mean... have you imported any of your own samples yet?

I was able to load my own samples, to use with the Particle oscillators, without referencing the manual. On the Timbre page for a Particle oscillator, open the Actions menu to import from an SD card, then again to add the sample to a map. It appears the the USB sockets are just for MIDI communication, so you can't transfer samples via USB>Computer or thumb drives. Not a big deal, I have a ton of SD cards and readers.

I haven't tried analyzing samples, for use as wavetables, or anything fancy like that but I'll get their.

I've mostly been getting lost in all the modulation. The Komplex Modulator is just bonkers! I thought I had a grasp on how it worked from the description in the manual but it's much easier to get very complex results from it, than I had thought. It's like being able to morph between two MSEGs but then you are also able to manipulate the resulting modulation shape in a few different ways (Warp, Slew and Entropy).

justin3am wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:50 am I was able to load my own samples, to use with the Particle oscillators, without referencing the manual. On the Timbre page for a Particle oscillator, open the Actions menu to import from an SD card, then again to add the sample to a map. It appears the the USB sockets are just for MIDI communication, so you can't transfer samples via USB>Computer or thumb drives. Not a big deal, I have a ton of SD cards and readers.

I haven't tried analyzing samples, for use as wavetables, or anything fancy like that but I'll get their.

I've mostly been getting lost in all the modulation. The Komplex Modulator is just bonkers! I thought I had a grasp on how it worked from the description in the manual but it's much easier to get very complex results from it, than I had thought. It's like being able to morph between two MSEGs but then you are also able to manipulate the resulting modulation shape in a few different ways (Warp, Slew and Entropy).
Ahhh... the Komplex Modulator sounds sweet!

Can you import a group of samples? or is it one at a time?

I've only imported samples one at a time, so far. I'm not sure if you can import batches. It may be possible to load by folder or individual file. I'll have to try that. That would definitely make creating multi-sample maps easier. I'm actually surprised by the ease of file management. Much better than my V-Synth GT and even a bit easier than the Octatrack. Tasks like moving files to different folders are very easy.

I experimented with trying to load very large audio files but I encounter some problems. I was able to preview the file but I couldn't load it and it made the whole thing become sluggish and almost appear to be unresponsive. It never crashed and everything went back to normal after I cleared the preview but it had me a bit worried for a moment. The file was more than 10min long, and it didn't have any trouble with files >1min, so I'm not really bothered. I'm not actually sure whether or not the problem was with the file itself, but in any case, it would be nice if the Quantum would post a warning or some kind of status message, instead of struggling like that.

I need to win the lottery!

justin3am wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 am Much better than my V-Synth GT

An anal probe is better than sample import on one of those things. In fact, the way the thing looks and the front mounted USB made me feel I was performing open heart surgery during sample import. Which would have been simpler.....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”