Waldorf Quantum - 8-voice hybrid synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wish Waldorf would be able to optimize their production and release a knobbier Blofeld for about the price of the Elektron Digitone. If they wanted to keep the nice metal knobs and display I can imagine it adding another $100, but at that point I’d still buy it.

It just seems like such a wasted opportunity that there’s nothing between the $1000-$4300 price range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyWTw9yIAm0

Really don't want to be negative, as i love Waldorf, but... really can't find much exciting about the sound. I mean, the filters sound ok, as do the oscillators, just miss some of the "sparkle" of the sound of their older synths, in lack of a better description.

The stuff at 19:00 sounds pretty good, but, apart from that. Bit "ordinary" for a $4000 synth.

I got to play one in person not long ago and to me, it sounds pretty awesome. It's the first synth which has made me consider selling my V-Synth GT. The modulation capabilities of the Quantum are just nuts.

The Resonator and Particle modes for the oscillators really stood out to me. I honestly didn't spend much time with the analog filters as I found the digital 'Former' much more interesting. I couldn't find a way to do audio rate filter FM, which I found surprising. It might be that the LFOs can key track and run at audio rate but I didn't have much time to explore. The effects section also sounded very good.

justin3am wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 pm I got to play one in person not long ago and to me, it sounds pretty awesome. It's the first synth which has made me consider selling my V-Synth GT. The modulation capabilities of the Quantum are just nuts.

The Resonator and Particle modes for the oscillators really stood out to me. I honestly didn't spend much time with the analog filters as I found the digital 'Former' much more interesting. I couldn't find a way to do audio rate filter FM, which I found surprising. It might be that the LFOs can key track and run at audio rate but I didn't have much time to explore. The effects section also sounded very good.

I have my Quantum coming end of October with the next batch, got the email from Waldorf yesterday, can't wait to get my hands on it.

justin3am wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 pm I got to play one in person not long ago and to me, it sounds pretty awesome. It's the first synth which has made me consider selling my V-Synth GT. The modulation capabilities of the Quantum are just nuts.

I was planning on getting the Quantum... (no filter FM afaik)... then along came the Moog One...

rob_lee wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm I have my Quantum coming end of October with the next batch, got the email from Waldorf yesterday, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Man, mine won't arrive until the end of November. :cry:
I'll be like this :hyper: until it arrives

justin3am wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 pm Man, mine won't arrive until the end of November. :cry:
lol, I may have my MO before you have your WQ
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 amI was planning on getting the Quantum... (no filter FM afaik)... then along came the Moog One...
That's right no filter FM on the Quantum but the LFOs do go into low-audio rate and they can be key scaled. I really need a flexible sampler/synth to replace my V-Synth, so that made my decision easy. I may get a Moog One next year but I'll have to figure out where to put it first. :lol:

pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 am I was planning on getting the Quantum... (no filter FM afaik)... then along came the Moog One...
It was on my hit parade as well, but I wanted to hear from the peanut gallery before jumping. then along came ... you know what you said.

justin3am wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:42 pm That's right no filter FM on the Quantum but the LFOs do go into low-audio rate and they can be key scaled. I really need a flexible sampler/synth to replace my V-Synth, so that made my decision easy. I may get a Moog One next year but I'll have to figure out where to put it first. :lol:
They are apples and oranges. I'll probably end up doing the other way round and getting the WQ next year .. only after a few of you bless it of course.

justin3am wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 pm
rob_lee wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm I have my Quantum coming end of October with the next batch, got the email from Waldorf yesterday, can't wait to get my hands on it.
Man, mine won't arrive until the end of November. :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: benefits of being this side of the pond haha, I'll post demos when I get mine

justin3am wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:42 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 amI was planning on getting the Quantum... (no filter FM afaik)... then along came the Moog One...
That's right no filter FM on the Quantum but the LFOs do go into low-audio rate and they can be key scaled. I really need a flexible sampler/synth to replace my V-Synth, so that made my decision easy. I may get a Moog One next year but I'll have to figure out where to put it first. :lol:
I'll likely end up getting the Quantum as well... The Moog One and Quantum next to each other... what a sight!

SJ_Digriz wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:44 am I was planning on getting the Quantum... (no filter FM afaik)... then along came the Moog One...
It was on my hit parade as well, but I wanted to hear from the peanut gallery before jumping. then along came ... you know what you said.
Yeah... the Quantum has a few growing pains... so I'm waiting... meanwhile, the Moog One should arrive on my doorstep in about 3 weeks

This guy posted a video over on the Elektronauts forum, nice video featuring the Waldorf Quantum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUXnB7wdOYU

My Quantum should be here end of this month, can't wait.

Rob

rob_lee wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 pm
My Quantum should be here end of this month, can't wait.

Rob
Lovely demo! How sure is the end of the month estimate?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”