Waldorf Quantum - 8-voice hybrid synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do you think Waldorf Quantum compares with Access Virus Ti2 - 61 Keys ?

I am not talking dismissing one purely based on spec-sheet:
like Analog vs VA vs Digital vs Hybrid or number of voices of polyphony, or bi vs multi-timbral
but rather the overall product/experience, ie. holistic view, and the "value" it brings to your studio/project

let me ask it in a different way,

let say you have barely the budget for only one "versatile" top-of-the-line hardware synth,
which of the "Waldorf Quantum" or "Access Virus Ti2 61-key" is more enticing to you?

now factor in the possibility that Waldorf Quantum might be ~500 Euro more expensive, in 3000 Euro territory

which one would you go for?

for me the criteria is:

- a knobby synth with an engine that supports different synthesis methods, like subtractive, wavetable, granular, FM

- tons of modulation capabilities

- bonus: a nice 5-Octave quality keys with aftertouch to use as the main master keyboard

both these synths meet my criteria, but I don't have experience with any of the high-end synths, so was wondering what you guys think about these two. I believe Nord Lead 4 maybe within the same category

I was set on going with Access Virus Ti2, but now that I came across Waldorf Quantum, I am not sure

It depends on how you want to use the synths. To me, having 16 part multitimbrality (or potential for it) is highly important for at least one synth with great sound. Specializing with an 8 voice bitimbral synth would come later. If I used synth sounds sparsely or had a blofeld or other multitimbral synth already, I would get the Waldorf. The Nord Lead 4 is still 4 part multitimbral. Which is great considering you won't get much more than that practically with a blofeld if using multiple sounds that use up several voices each and playing chords.

To me, the Ti and Ti2 have been staple synths since I got them. I'm always using multiple midi channels with them and several different sounds out of them. I add on mono or low polyphony synths after that for some unique character the synth has.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

The Blofeld gets called a multi-timbral synth, which it is, but
I think as a Monotimbral syth is where it really shines.
Besides, with unisono=3, 4 modifiers and all 16 slots used per
performance patch, it is only able to offer up 4-6 notes of
polyphony.

I am slowly building up on my collection.
3 Blokeys and 1 module.
So if I had a controller with splits and different midi channels,
I guess I could test in function, what 1 Blofeld per midi channel could do
(in a limited way)

....rolls off to find another Blofeld...lol

Thomann already has it listed BTW: https://www.thomann.de/de/waldorf_quant ... gLinvD_BwE

Supposedly available January 2018. 4.000 €. :party: Someone wants to buy my car? :lol:

What do you guys think about the new video demos which have been posted on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2JEfzF2tWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysaB3Hk31o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_2Oq95b1U

I'm a Waldorf fan really, but, can't help it, sounds a bit too clean, sterile, cold and unspectacular to my liking. Rather according to the way they already took with Nave. A bit lacking character, bit too neutral sounding.

I think Nave has bags of character.

Fair enough. :) Maybe it just hasn't the character i want from it. Anyway, don't want to sound too negative, it's still a nice synth, i just think that the former synths have the edge over it a bit.

Impressive, crystal-clear sounds.

Why am I ever watching the video, will never afford this synth :help: Still, I'm absoluely impressed by this most advanced and fully-featured monster on a market :tu:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

reviews are coming in now. I don't speak german, but maybe somebody can give us anything important we don't already know. has a definite price come in yet?

https://www.amazona.de/test-waldorf-qua ... hesizer/7/

I don't want to translate the whole article, but, they write in the conclusion that Quantum lays the foundation for a new technology of synthesizer hardware which pushes it into new areas, sound and operational wise. And the writer of the article considers it THE synthesizer of 2018, and can't imagine any other synthesizer knocking it off that position. He considers the visual user guidance an idea which is unrivaled, although it could have been a bit more consequent here and there. And he criticizes that real time modulations and changes to the waveform are not made visible in the display, and argues that other synthesizers do a better job with that.

He also says, though, that stuff like that is not necessarily excluded from ever happening, because Waldorf obviously have plans with the Quantum's software after the intial release, and he also says that Waldorf is very communicative, and open to suggestions. Also, the Quantum is worthy represented by the 1000 sounds from "renowned" sound designers in his eyes, but he also says that it's a lot of fun to tweak the synth with the possibilities it has, and that it invites to do so.

Pros

+ Outstanding combination of the oscillator modules
+ Very performance orientated synthesizer
+ Import and processing of custom samples possible, hassle-free
+ The complex modulator is outstanding and invites to experiment
+ The LFO's go beyond normal standards
+ Intuitive visualization of the workflow

Cons

- The display of the signal processing is not consequently implemented on the touchscreen
- The analog filter doesn't have enough bite, and there should be more filter modes

The sound examples are actually not that bad. They're at least better as the usual sound examples Amazona offer in their articles. ;)

Oh, and shop price is 3.995 € according to them.

so, in sum, if you want a quantum/prophetX/modal 008 rack, after extras and monitoring, and a room to house it in... talking $30,000 US. these people are out of their minds but I wish them the best.

Far too expensive for what he can. Plugins can do that as well. Why did not Waldorf reissue the Microwave? In a box as big as the Valkyrie with buttons on it. The Curtischips are also available again. Sales price € 1500. That's it. In addition a decent editor and good.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

I must admit that i'm also not very stunned about the sound, or the features. I'd probably never consider a 4.000 € hardware synth anyway, but, i don't find the sound to be much different, or superior to their Nave plugin, at least judging from the sound demos shown, so...

What is surely unique is the complex software on the thing. I haven't really seen that anywhere else.

chk071 wrote:I must admit that i'm also not very stunned about the sound, or the features. I'd probably never consider a 4.000 € hardware synth anyway, but, i don't find the sound to be much different, or superior to their Nave plugin, at least judging from the sound demos shown, so...

What is surely unique is the complex software on the thing. I haven't really seen that anywhere else.
i would want more analog in the mix if I were to get one, so I would look at a modal 008 to mix with it. it IS lovely tho! it seems aimed mostly at studio guys and sponsored musicians. honestly, I’ve been doing the same stuff with wavetables, a resonator, and a grain filter for years so. it’s just a really pretty and reliable piece of kit for the pros to play I guess. not like the old days when we could plop down 1200$ on the used market for a high end board and be happy is it?

PietW. wrote:Plugins can do that as well.
Not with that sort of interface they don't. You're missing the point. :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”