BlueARP DM: hardware arpeggiator/sequencer (news & discussion)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

THis is cool. Bookmarked

Small update. For some reason before I overlooked another option for enclosure manufacturing - laser cut acryllic glass. For example, mutable instruments use it and their enclosures look good. There's a choice of options - transparent, semi-transparent, different colours. So I adjusted my design and ordered a first try at ponoko (shipping from US is expensive, but they have good reputation and I hope they will make it high quality). If it works well, I will look for local alternatives.
Still waiting for silicon casted examples from local fab. But I have mixed feelings about it - they already had several tries and fails with the master model.

Perfect, mutable instruments chassis look always elegant and carefully cut, hopefully the result will look good. Looking forward for upcoming update :) Best of luck

I can imagine this in a Eurorack Module, uhh!
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

There's a new little arp box out (competitor) - I'm linking to the news about it, not the manufacturer or store: https://www.gearnews.com/arpeggio-the-c ... struments/

Several days ago I received laser-cut enclosure from ponoko. The quality is amazing, I am really impressed. And it is not only enclosure, but also laser engraving on top, which is pretty accurate and readable.
Still I have some flaws in the design I will correct. But it is OK for the 1st try , I expected that.
I won't yet post the photos - will wail until I assemble the whole thing.
Still waiting for silicon casted enclosure. Bat as far as I've seen, acrylic will be my primary option.
Cheaper, looking gorgeous, no need for separate silkscreen printing, various colour options, including transparent and semi-transparent.

Meanwhile I was working on control interface for the hardware unit. The idea was the following - use the same GUI to make control interface, which will synchronize with the unit via sysex midi messages over USB, basically the same way all other synths do. It took me quite a long time, but it finally works! I think it will be one of the coolest features. You can use convenient software interface to program patterns\chains, then leave computer and play with hardware only.

PS. Euro rack is one thing I consider in the future, but now it is too far away to think about. I have to finalize the desktop unit first and ship at least several dozens of them (hopefully).

If someone is tracking this thread, there is my current status on hardware bluearp.
There are delays due to pandemic, but I keep working on it.
I finally choose laser-cut arcyllic as a prinary option. Finalized the design. Currently ordering from ponoko.com, but looking for local alternatives, mostly because of expensive shipping and customs restrictions. I'm going to post a video in a few weeks.
So now I'm in the process of making several pre-production units which should go to first beta-testers. It will take couple of months to get feedback, and if it is all good, I'll be ready to take first orders.
Overall hardware design seems to be OK, but I have concerns on the reliability of the tactile buttons.
I ordered the same buttons from several sources (digikey, local distributors), and some of them appeared to be faulty from the beginning. Hopefully these were just defect and others will keep working fine, we'll see.
Other that that everything seems to be good (USB-MIDI, SD card, CV-gate outputs, analog input). DIN5 midi was rock-solid from the beginning.

Good luck with this. :tu: Really seems like a nice project.

graywolf2004 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 am ... but I have concerns on the reliability of the tactile buttons.
Excellent news :)
Regarding the buttons, could be replaced by mechanical switches like these

phreaque wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 pm
graywolf2004 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 am ... but I have concerns on the reliability of the tactile buttons.
Excellent news :)
Regarding the buttons, could be replaced by mechanical switches like these
I know these switches. They won't fit into current size of the unit. They are like 15x15mm, while I have step buttons spacing around 11mm. So using them will require to make unit like 1,5x bigger. Which I don't want to do cause current design can be possibly squeezed into eurorack, which I have as a next big thing. If these buttons turn out to bee unreliable, I'll look at silicon keypads as an alternative option.

Live cover for "Emotions and Energy" by Saif Sameer (aka phreaque) with BlueARP DM pre-production unit.
Showing primary enclosure made from acrylic glass.
https://youtu.be/KbUlXI96Ajs

Wow that's wonderful! Thanks. The BlueARP h/w looks amazing

A quick update, yesterday I assembled the next revision of main board with the brain chip soldered directly on the board (I use dev board from a Chinese fab in my current revision). This is the finest soldering work I performed to this day.
IMG_20200809_162309.jpg
IMG_20200809_162242.jpg
Almost everything works, which is great. Except Realtime clock, I think I just have the wrong capacitors on the crystal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wonderful build, looks perfect & so clean.

This is a very special moment for me, this is the 1st time someone else except me uses BlueARP DM to perform live. Check this great performance by Marshal Arnold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEBfCwTzDg
This is a pre-production unit, Marshal does a great job with testing it and giving me a lot of valuable feedback

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”