BlueARP DM: hardware arpeggiator/sequencer (news & discussion)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Mc UB wrote:Wow, that is stunning!

I have Blue Arp in my arsenal for a long time, though I haven't used it that much as of yet, but am getting back into it again at the moment. That's why I discovered this thread. I always prefered it over Kirnu Cream.

Having it sit on my desk as a hardware unit would be so great. To have hands on control of the arp while playing gives so much creative freedom and workspeed. I would absolutely buy one.

What is the plan, can it also be fed back in a DAW (FL Studio user myself)? Could I hook my Oxygen controller's midi-out to Blue Arp and Blue arp to my DAW? Or is it only meant to drive hardware synths?

UI wise, do you have any plans lined? I would respectfully suggest a type of UI like Nektar Panorama P1 (see image). The sliders could be the sequencer step controls for instance. And if you make it not sliders like they are in the P1 but perhaps ribbon controllers they could change value with each selected function. Same goes for the knobs: make them endless controllers (P1 has those, and it's great to work with, I own one), so they can pick up on any point when switching functions. I hope I make sense?

I could see this becoming a huge hit with trance or techno producers and live performers worldwide!

Lot's of respect, you are a genius!

regards, Frank
Greetings Frank,

Thank you so much for the comments, which personally I really appreciate seeing and hearing :)

I realize you have some suggestions to propose, and i would personally invite you to join the BlueARP Implementers Forum. In other terms, the official team in charge of creating the prototype, or in more broad terms, Oleg's personal army of engineers ! Just kidding ;)

We are probably one of the few establishments to propose a more democratic way of being, as in that we usually ask the average members (who usually are music enthusiasts as well as average people like you and me. No huge businessmen running the place :D) for our key decisions, and therefore having a very active community and very accessible feedback.

If you are interested to join the Forum, we currently hold a Facebook Group with people interested in the project, who are willing to donate a few minutes (or even hours for the nutcases like me and Oleg :D) of their time towards making this dream come true. Check it out here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/313012915779860

In fact, I extend this invitation to anyone interested in the project, and/or are willing to help us. As for myself, i'm the guy in charge of making the PCB and Schematics for the board(s).

Anyways, very pleased to see some feedback on our project :)
DJ Daemonix

Founder of Blaze Studios
www.youtube.com/BlazeProdsOfficial

Brilliant! :tu:

I'm sure you'll get it right as BlueArp is also brilliant. Good luck! :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hi all. Sorry for long time silence. The project is alive and going on, but all my free time goes now into PCB design and this kind of stuff.
Now I have:
1. Top PCB design (buttons and LED's), near ready for manufacturing
2. Enclosure design, around 70% finished

Now I'm torn between several port configurations. The enclosure size is 265x175x35mm, and the back panel is just not big enough to place all the ports I wanted.
So there are several possible port configurations:
1. 2 MIDI IN, 4 MIDI Out, 1 CV/Gate
2. 2 MIDI IN, 3 MIDI Out, 2 CV/Gate
3. 2 MIDI IN, 2 MIDI Out, 3 CV/Gate

I want to keep 2 MIDI IN's anyway, for the case you need to connect both MIDI keyboard and Drum box (or hardware sequencer) which sends MIDI clock to BlueARP.

I'd personally go for option 2 (3 MIDI Out, 2 CV Gate), see attached screenshot.
BlueARP_back.jpg
The other options we consider are:
1. Making expansion board with plenty of CV/Gates and MIDI
2. Making another version of BlueARP in EuroRack format with plenty of CV/Gates and CV/Gate IN also

Please share your opinions, the design is not final yet and it can be altered.
Also here's a link to the post in facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/313012915779860/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rs232 with breakout cable or such
Duh

why not use those 1/8" midi ports ? supply the requisite amount of adaptors, or supply a few and sell the rest.

Does the hardware version also send note, gate and velocity, and only one arp/sequence at a time? If so, I'd opt for 3 cv to cover the three types of data and 2 MIDI out, since MIDI devices often feature a MIDI thru socket for chaining up synths... and I'd guess using more than two MIDI synths for just the arpeggios might be kinda rare situation considering the practical side of hauling up all the gear.

.jon wrote:Does the hardware version also send note, gate and velocity, and only one arp/sequence at a time? If so, I'd opt for 3 cv to cover the three types of data and 2 MIDI out, since MIDI devices often feature a MIDI thru socket for chaining up synths... and I'd guess using more than two MIDI synths for just the arpeggios might be kinda rare situation considering the practical side of hauling up all the gear.
It sends note, gate and velocity, and in can now run 8 bluearp instances in parallel.
Im not sure if its possible to send velocity via CV/Gate, maybe as a gate voltage.
But at least it will be pitch + gate.

Daags wrote:why not use those 1/8" midi ports ? supply the requisite amount of adaptors, or supply a few and sell the rest.
I'm not a fan of this approach, but thanks for the hint. Will at least consider this as a possible option.

I think you only need two midi outs. With Midi Thru boxes (that most hardware guys use) you'll get plenty of control over external gear.

You'd probably do better adding more CV rather than MIDI outs anyway, as people are obsessed over that these days.

graywolf2004 wrote:
Daags wrote:why not use those 1/8" midi ports ? supply the requisite amount of adaptors, or supply a few and sell the rest.
I'm not a fan of this approach, but thanks for the hint. Will at least consider this as a possible option.

you could also consider a kind of compromise too. Use the number of normal size midi ports, as in your render, and also include the 'extra' midi ports as 1/8" format.

as a user, this would be my preference over costly breakout boxes etc.

graywolf2004 wrote:It sends note, gate and velocity, and in can now run 8 bluearp instances in parallel.
Im not sure if its possible to send velocity via CV/Gate, maybe as a gate voltage.
But at least it will be pitch + gate.
8 instances sounds great, and justifies multiple midi ports. Anything less than 8 means using channels anyway though... Velocity CV would just mean voltage level that changes on each new note, to be used as a modulation source for a VCA patched between an EG and the real VCA, or stuff like filter frequency for example.

Don't forget to make it possible to use one MIDI out as MIDI THRU. ;)

I agree people that will buy this will probably be more into CV/Gate I/Os than MIDI, though. Two MIDI outs is more than adequate, I think.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Don't forget to make it possible to use one MIDI out as MIDI THRU. ;)

I agree people that will buy this will probably be more into CV/Gate I/Os than MIDI, though. Two MIDI outs is more than adequate, I think.
Actually there is no use for such port, as MIDI Thru can and is already programmed as a feature for BlueARP in its core engine. Find it under the VST on program 2 or 3 i think ;)

So pointless making such a dedicated port for something already possible within the software :D
DJ Daemonix

Founder of Blaze Studios

While my PCBs are fabricated, I have some time to check the forums )
Thank you all for the opinions. I see all this fuss about CV\Gate and I take this into account, although for me it's still mostly a MIDI device. At first my idea was to have 4 midi outs and 2 CVs, but I'll keep at least 4 CVs in the first prototype.

The idea just came into my mind yesterday - maybe it's a good idea to combine CV and Gate signals in a single "stereo" 6.35mm jack?
Tip will be CV and ring will be gate. CV/Gate experts - maybe it's already implemented this way somewhere?
It will be possible to split combined CV/Gate jack to 2 mono jacks with a Y-splitter.
Still it will be possible to use it just as a CV and attach mono 6.35 jack cable.

Morover, in my current design CV/Gates are actually all CVs, they can produce continious voltage within 0..10V range.
It required 4 additional chips on the main board (2 dual DACs, 2 dual op.amps).
But gate is basically a digital signal (typically 0V/2V), right?
In this case it can be connected directly to MCU digital output pins via simple protection circuit like transistor + resistors or even diode + resistor. In this case almost at no cost it will give us 4 additional Gates, 4 CV/Gates in total, which will allow to connect up to 4 CV-controlled synths.

graywolf2004 wrote:While my PCBs are fabricated, I have some time to check the forums )
Thank you all for the opinions. I see all this fuss about CV\Gate and I take this into account, although for me it's still mostly a MIDI device. At first my idea was to have 4 midi outs and 2 CVs, but I'll keep at least 4 CVs in the first prototype.

The idea just came into my mind yesterday - maybe it's a good idea to combine CV and Gate signals in a single "stereo" 6.35mm jack?
Tip will be CV and ring will be gate. CV/Gate experts - maybe it's already implemented this way somewhere?
It will be possible to split combined CV/Gate jack to 2 mono jacks with a Y-splitter.
Still it will be possible to use it just as a CV and attach mono 6.35 jack cable.

Morover, in my current design CV/Gates are actually all CVs, they can produce continious voltage within 0..10V range.
It required 4 additional chips on the main board (2 dual DACs, 2 dual op.amps).
But gate is basically a digital signal (typically 0V/2V), right?
In this case it can be connected directly to MCU digital output pins via simple protection circuit like transistor + resistors or even diode + resistor. In this case almost at no cost it will give us 4 additional Gates, 4 CV/Gates in total, which will allow to connect up to 4 CV-controlled synths.
I like your thinking ! ;)

Double jacks would most certainly make the IO more space efficient, at the expense of miscompatibility. How to solve that one ? Just provide a few jack adapters in the box ;)

At least, the space can be used for more ports / power switch. Great compromise ! ;)
DJ Daemonix

Founder of Blaze Studios

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”