Where's aftertouch on most keyboards? Don't you guys use it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree that it should and it was part of the purchase criteria but I don't notice it like I do on my jx8p

A) I'm glad that this got back to a rational conversation :clap:

B) I don't understand aftertouch :lol:

I just don't. In really expensive/well built self-synths I think it can be cool. In my little realm of cheesy controllers and hosts, it's awful.

My mind (limited as it were) can think of fantastic applications of it, but w/o the killer controller, it simply doesn't work (unless you automate it, and that isn't musical to me)

Wait, yes it does work!

Kill da aftertouch with Launchpad Pro :D

Fingerdrumming bliss activated.

As i got myself a new controller now (Novation Impulse 49, had an Axiom 49 2nd gen before that), i tried out the aftertouch yesterday, and must say that i'm a bit disapointed about it. Not only do you have to press so hard to get aftertouch that the keys, and i mean all of them, move a bit down, and it seems like you break they key, but, the aftertouch itself doesn't really work well either. On some keys, you can sometimes make it work, meaning that you're able to do a controlled "sweep", but it's pretty different from key to key, and on some it's simply impossible to control the amount of aftertouch. As i don't really use aftertouch though, and they key feel in general better than on the Axiom (more synth action, while on the Axiom, they were kinda stiff, and harder to press), and the knobs are way better, i'll stick to the Impulse though. But, i don't expect to get good aftertouch in such "entry level" keyboards anymore. The one in the Axiom was better though, but, still not really what i'd call "good".

BTW, in general, the build quality of the Impulse doesn't seem very good. The keys are a bit loose too (and the gap between them is inconsistent), and some are higher than the others. Same with the knobs, there's one which is higher, and one which is lower than the others. And the faders feel a bit different to each other too. The Axiom, IMO, was of better build quality. Surprising, because the Impulse is more expensive. Anyway, keys feel good, so do the knobs, and the menu operation is miles better than on the Axiom (pretty much sucked big time there).

No polyphonic aftertouch / per-note pressure = shit controller. Unfortunately I have yet to find a modern controller that claims to have it and actually has it implemented in a truly expressive way. But I haven't tried them all (and they get far too pricey).

Codestation wrote:No polyphonic aftertouch / per-note pressure = shit controller. Unfortunately I have yet to find a modern controller that claims to have it and actually has it implemented in a truly expressive way. But I haven't tried them all (and they get far too pricey).
What about Rise?

pdxindy wrote: What about Rise?
I should have specified - keyboard controller.
I haven't tried anything from ROLI, though they do look interesting. Too expensive tho. :lol:

Good Morning World!
Start your day LIT AS f**k!

Yeah the ROLI stuff - man it's damn nice looking. GASing for it bad.

f**k it. I'm getting a Linnstrument. Tired of breaking keyboards (I don't pound on them, they're all simply fragile and cheap). Just f**ked up my damn Novation 61SL again. Just playing it. FFS. D5 again. Already cleaned it. There's no dirt in there. FFS.

I play both guitar and keys, (better guitar player anyway), so might as well stop fighting it.

POLY AT FTW BABY YEAH YEAH!

I had some fun on mine until it died. The computer recognizes that the USB is connected but nothing works. It doesn't light up it doesn't transmit midi. I've tried to jump start it with a 9 volt adaptor. Nothing, nada.

If you play guitar and tap the right hand will be easy. The left everything is backwards and upside down to conventional playing. I found slides require more pressure then was natural. Yes I did adjust all the controls. No, it's not ideal for conventional guitar standing playing. I'd think about getting another one but really if you don't need that much range try an apitron instrument one.

Honestly I would suggest anyone wanting to invest in a linnstrument try a artiphon instrument 1 first.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

It died?

That sucks. Linn can't fix it?

I have one on the way.

Will be selling a 8-string Keisel Vader-8 guitar 10 months old, custom, barely used. Anybody interested? It'll be on the ebay.

If companies would make keybeds that don't break with the slightest bit of use I'd still be using them. Tired of it. Tired of keys that break. Tired of the horizontal layout.

I don't dare press my keys down that hard I'll get an expression pedal for it.

Jax Pok wrote:I don't dare press my keys down that hard I'll get an expression pedal for it.
You know what's hilarious - I broke my nearly 12 year-old M-Audio expression pedal the other day. Honestly I'm not rough with this stuff. Got to give it credit. 12 years is a good run. :lol:

For our 10 year anniversary my wife got me a Roli Rise 49. It changed my life. All keyboard should be this.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

That's... that's a good wife.

That's a damn good wife.

Wish the Roli stuff wasn't so expensive. I can't stand less than 61 keys, it's a form claustrophobia.

Codestation wrote:That's... that's a good wife.

That's a damn good wife.

Wish the Roli stuff wasn't so expensive. I can't stand less than 61 keys, it's a form claustrophobia.
But it's really build like a tank!
And you also get Equator, Strobe 2 and Bitwig 8-track on top.
I just still wish the custom configuration via the dashboard would be not so limited.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”