List your current hardware instruments and/or FX and what you would add if anything is missing

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Analog
3x Moog Mother 32's
Korg Minilogue
Arturia Microbrute
Moog werkstatt
Blue Lantern Modular (Expanded Salamander Synth)

Virtual Analog
M-Audio Venom
Virus Ti2
Waldorf Blofeld
Novation KS4
Roland SH-32
Novation Circuit

Romplers
Mc-303
RM1X
JV1010

Samplers
Roland MV8800
Zoom Sampletrak ST-224
Gotharman's Little DeFormer II expanded

8-bit
Twisted Electrons AY3
Soulsby Odytron Special Edition

Various controllers:
Korg padKontrol (white and black versions)
MPC Element
M-Audio Radium 49
Korg Micro
Novation Launchpad MK1
Korg MS20ic

Ipad with many ipad synths on Griffin Studio Connect

Amps
Mahaffay HiLo Watt Plexi head
AMT Stonehead
Peavey ValveKing II micro head
Marshall 2/12 Vertical Slant cab
Peavey 1/12 Blue Thunder

Guitars
Ibanez Artist (circa 1999 - stop bar tail, Schaller locking tuners, SD Screamin Demon bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus - EMG 81/85 set
Jackson Soloist - Floyd Rose, EMG 81/85 set

A couple AMT preamps - SS20 and D2
Some boutique pedals

Alesis M1 MKII Active nearfields, 120W sub
2x Behringer 12 channel mixers with fx
Peavey Quad multifx
Moog Minifooger bucket brigade delay

Thats all I can think of now.

Some sits unused but gets swapped out occassionally

I mostly use the hardware stuff but like my music apps on ios like Bias Amp, softsynths, etc

Wishlist:

Its big and plentiful, but don't really need more
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

My hardware?

Waldorf Rocket :D

Made entire songs with it but it's really starting to annoy that lack of attack stage from envelope.

*edit*

Forgot that I also have other gear than just one tiny synth.

M-Audio oxygen61 silver
Korg Nanopad 2
Korg Nanokontrol 2
Steinberg UR22
Acoustic guitar
Electric guitar + amp
Acoustic bass
Electric 5 string bass + amp
Hercules dj controller
pile of different aboriginal instruments like hand drums, didgeridoo, mouth harp, bells n whistles..
Zoom multifx pedal for bass (makes that waldorf rocket real dirrrrrty ;) )
Last edited by Lejurai on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am not adding anything soon. i have to actually start using what I have to full potential

...and make some music

Roland A-90 (w/ the Verdi expansion)
Yamaha DX7
M-audio Venom
Waldorf Blofeld (Desktop)
Roland XV5080
Akai Advance 61 Controller
Akai LPD8 (budget drum pad thingie)

Cheap Behringer mixer - does the job for me.
Emu Tracker Pre

I'm just a hobbyist with a day job so I already have way too much :lol:

Wormhelmet wrote:Analog
3x Moog Mother 32's
Korg Minilogue
Arturia Microbrute
Moog werkstatt
Blue Lantern Modular (Expanded Salamander Synth)

Virtual Analog
M-Audio Venom
Virus Ti2
Waldorf Blofeld
Novation KS4
Roland SH-32
Novation Circuit

Romplers
Mc-303
RM1X
JV1010

Samplers
Roland MV8800
Zoom Sampletrak ST-224
Gotharman's Little DeFormer II expanded

8-bit
Twisted Electrons AY3
Soulsby Odytron Special Edition

Various controllers:
Korg padKontrol (white and black versions)
MPC Element
M-Audio Radium 49
Korg Micro
Novation Launchpad MK1
Korg MS20ic

Ipad with many ipad synths on Griffin Studio Connect

Amps
Mahaffay HiLo Watt Plexi head
AMT Stonehead
Peavey ValveKing II micro head
Marshall 2/12 Vertical Slant cab
Peavey 1/12 Blue Thunder

Guitars
Ibanez Artist (circa 1999 - stop bar tail, Schaller locking tuners, SD Screamin Demon bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus - EMG 81/85 set
Jackson Soloist - Floyd Rose, EMG 81/85 set

A couple AMT preamps - SS20 and D2
Some boutique pedals

Alesis M1 MKII Active nearfields, 120W sub
2x Behringer 12 channel mixers with fx
Peavey Quad multifx
Moog Minifooger bucket brigade delay

Thats all I can think of now.

Some sits unused but gets swapped out occassionally

I mostly use the hardware stuff but like my music apps on ios like Bias Amp, softsynths, etc

Wishlist:

Its big and plentiful, but don't really need more
You need help wormhelmet. That GAS is going to get you some day.

Yes. It has already. Have to creatively position equipment because of space constraints.

I had to work a little hard to get in a position to be able to buy, but now have to setup 2nd music area with stuff that is too much for first area. My son uses the gear too now. After seeing some of these other lists here, not so concerned about being the only GAS-aholic.

If I really want to feel better about it, I watch a youtube of Celldweller's studio or deadmou5.....not that bad yet

:lol:
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Better GAS for gear rather than being hooked on substances, gambling, etc., imo. At least you're doing something fun and creative, and as you say your son is able to use some things as well. Even if you're only doing it as a hobby, it's your hobby. Some people play golf, some people play bridge, some people have model trains, some people like to garden, some people like to go to see musicals, etc. A really good set of golf clubs can be expensive as well. One of my co workers just spent close to $300 for a single ticket. If you are selling your music on bandcamp, etc. more power to you. I wonder if the people who complain about GAS the most are the ones who really want to get things themselves but can't afford to get them, lol. But yeah, seeing some of the setups that people have makes me feel a little better about my own. :)

edit... someone on the Moog forums just posted their latest purchase, which was a Moog Modular System 15, which I see listed at Sweetwater as going for $10,000, and that's without the keyboard (the keyboard is extra). So, all of this stuff is relative.

Sequent wrote: edit... someone on the Moog forums just posted their latest purchase, which was a Moog Modular System 15, which I see listed at Sweetwater as going for $10,000, and that's without the keyboard (the keyboard is extra). So, all of this stuff is relative.
Someone on the Arturia forum was asking questions about the synclavier ... because he owns FOUR.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

If you add up the cost of my 80s gear was new my studio sounds much more impressive than the couple hundred bucks it really cost me all in...

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Sequent wrote: edit... someone on the Moog forums just posted their latest purchase, which was a Moog Modular System 15, which I see listed at Sweetwater as going for $10,000, and that's without the keyboard (the keyboard is extra). So, all of this stuff is relative.
Someone on the Arturia forum was asking questions about the synclavier ... because he owns FOUR.
After all these years, maybe he needs FOUR to have enough parts to keep ONE working. :) Keeping old synths working, as time goes by, might eventually get about as bad as collecting 100 year old classic cars and keeping them in drivable shape.

Interesting thread. I feel quite minimalist in my approach to gear..

Synths
Korg Triton Extreme
Roland JD990
Yamaha TX81z
Roland Alpha Juno 2

Effects
TC Electronic M1

Mixer
Edirol M-16DX

DAW for recording and final EQ/compression
Ableton Live 9

What I'd like to buy
Electribe ER-1
One of Roland's performance samplers
Eion Flow: Lush, cinematic electronica from the urban galaxy that is Tokyo, Japan. More on eionflow.com | Facebook | Soundcloud

2 Waldorf Blofeld keyboards (one white, one black)
1 Waldorf Blofeld module (white)
1 Studiologic Sledge II keyboard
1 MS-20K fullsize with 1/4" jacks
1 Monotribe set to Hz/V and controlled via CV from MS-20

1 Strymon Deco
1 Alesis Microverb IV

2 Roland KC-150 Amps (L and R)
1 Center Point Stereo Monitor (MS Stereo)
with Very Mini Tremor 10" Sub
Mackie 1202-VLZ4

Waldorf Rocket - Love it.
Roland SH-201- Ok. A bit thin and metallic.

Next synth will be a Korg Minilouge.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Am "growing more immune" to GAS in my dotage. Have a few old synths and keyboards, including a couple I should find time to repair one day.

Other than a few assorted rack devices, had pared down a home office system with yamaha kx88 controller and Roland FA06 stacked on top that is good enough for my needs.

But last fall got called to do a couple of spot gigs, and had to go to some trouble scraping up and tweaking assorted old junk to do the gig without tearing apart the home studio. It got to seeming a good idea that maybe it would be fun to do an occasional spot gig if doing them could be made "as little trouble possible".

In the old days I kept separate studio rigs and live rigs, so the studio doesn't have to be cannibalized to do a gig. So lately have been acquiring a few thangs for a dedicated gig rig, though it may not get used a whole lot. Been fun putting it together anyway.

I prefer to have exactly two keyboards, a 61 stacked on an 88. Got a Studiologic SL88 which seems nice so far. After tweaking on the FA06 a good bit, it turns out the FA06 has an excellent feature set for what I want to do live.

So if the FA06 is part of the gig rig then "ideally" would like to get another modern rompler to take its place in the home studio. That isn't mission-critical because the FA06 is so light it feels like an empty plastic box, but still, moving in and out the FA06 to the studio, crawling around on the floor to connect wallwart, pedals and cables, is still a little extra effort for a lazy procrastinator.

Don't need another Roland box. Already got several. Was thinking if I come across a spare $1200 then maybe a Yammyhaw MOXF6 to put in the home studio. Or even less probable if I was to come across a spare $3000, a Montage 6.

On the gig rig, it would be nice to find some kind of small module with "as realistic possible" ac piano and rhodes. For stage use, the specs are looser for "realism" compared to something like a solo piano recording. Some instruments that don't sound so great on studio monitors can sound purt good on stage. Still, it would be a luxury which the audience might likely never notice or care, if it happened to be a good sounding ac piano, rhodes and wurlie.

Many of the FA06 ac piano tones do not have (to my taste) quite enough sustain in the middle registers, though I've been tweaking on them. Some of the rhodes and wurlie tones are "pretty good" but would like a little better. Was experimentally tweaking various old rack synths to see if I could get something better.

In theory, with two keyboards and only the FA06 as sound generator, polyphony ought to be adequate to do piano, synth, and keybass all out of the FA06. Also sequenced drums should I need that. FA has plenty of mixing and EQ features easy enough to use. But in previous tweaking, sometimes it was time-consuming to balance all of those things only coming out of 4 outputs on the FA06 (the third output jack is ring-tip-sleeve stereo output so far as I know). The FA is eminently tweakable, but every instrument has its limits. If I dedicate piano duties to a separate synth it would most likely be easier to get a good balance.

Would rather have a half-rack than full-width rack module. Googling and youtube videos, "possibly inexpensive" modules with possibly pretty good piano tone include GeneralMusic RP-X, Kurzweil ME-1, Kurzweil PC2R. MAYBE Ketron Klavipro or SD1000 (can't find enough hifi-recorded demos to try to judge). There is a new V3 Sound module "Vienna Grand Piano 3 GB" which sounds really good on the two demo recordings I could find. But only found a couple of demo recordings, and apparently as of now I'd have to direct order from Germany to get one. It seems the Motif Rack XS might have purt good piano sounds, but is fairly expensive and is a rather deep and heavy single-space rack module.

All except the SD1000, Motif Rack XS, and V3 Sound module are long-discontinued and apparently don't come up used for sale real often in USA. Am not in a hurry, might eventually run across something used and cheap. Might decide to gamble on that V3 Sound "Vienna Grand Piano 3 GB" if I can find any more feedback about it.

Synths:
Access Virus TI, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg M3m, Alesis Fusion 8HD & QS8, Korg Poly 800 (junk), Yamaha TX802 (pointless with FM8 on my computers), and Yamaha VL70m. Does my rarely used Akai S6000 count as a synth? How about my kiddy synths (Yamaha PSS-something, Casio MT-540/CT-460)?

FX:
TC Electronic Fireworx, TC Helicon VoiceWorks Plus, Line 6 Pod XT Pro, Peavey TransTubeFEX.

I would add a truly analog and knob-laden synth to my setup if I had money to spend. Probably the newer MS-20. I can hypothetically afford one of those if I stop eating for a few months. It would sort of double as an FX unit, right? :-)

If I could afford something really extravagant (hahahahaha), I'd get a Moog Voyager XL (drool), but I'm poor, they're discontinued and super expensive, so it'll never happen. But damn...

All my stuff is digital or modeled analog (still digital), except for my used and abused Korg Poly 800 (which I don't even use because its controls suck). I don't know what it's like to have smooth/step-less controls and filter sweeps.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”