List your current hardware instruments and/or FX and what you would add if anything is missing

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

D-Fusion wrote:I recently had a bunch of synths and romplers but trimmed it down to:

-Roland Jd-xi (2 digital synths + 1 Analog and drums)
-Nord Lead A1

I also use my Ipad as external synth + rompler if that counts :)
Didn't you have a minilogue?

D-Fusion wrote:I recently had a bunch of synths and romplers but trimmed it down to:

-Nord Lead A1

Great, i have those too :) Love them, were good VFM too imo.
Have you programmed any of your own patches with the synth section of JD and done any custom sounds with the A1?

Synths
Virus TI2 (full keyboard version)
Nord 4 Rack
Kurzweil PC3X

Controllers
Maschine mk2
Ableton Push 2

FX
Lexicon MX400

Interface
MOTU 828 mk3

Monitors
Yamaha HS80Ms w/HS8S subwoofer
JBL LSR305s

Monitoring Management/Headphone Amp
Drawmer MC2.1

Recording Front End
Focusrite ISA Two
Drawmer DL241
Mojave MA-200
Blue Baby Bottle

Headphones
BeyerDynamic DT880Pro
AKG K701
AKG K240
(2) Sennheiser HD280Pro

Guitars
G&L L-2000 bass
Yamaha A6R acoustic guitar
Yamaha NTX700 nylon-string acoustic guitar

I downsized my studio years ago and I've kept pretty much the same instruments ever since, the one exception being the Nord 4R that had a too-good-to-be-true price on it, so I added it a little over a year ago. Software covers the rest of my setup, so I don't feel that anything is missing, although I do occasionally consider swapping out my Nord 4R for a Prophet 12 module. I've had an OTB/ITB hybrid setup for 10 years or so and don't see myself ever going back to OTB only, or ever going fully ITB.
Last edited by cryophonik on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

TheoM wrote:Edit, wow some interesting synths there man.. never heard of most of them! Checking out the chiptune one now.. damn i wish there was still synths using sid chips.. i wish i had bought a sidstation way back when for example. Grrr

Edit2, just checked out the AY3.. unlike stuff using SID's, i am not finding the sound warm.. hmm not my sort of thing. I am sure it's a lot of fun though.
I do tend to go for odd stuff. :D

The therapSID I found awkward to use -- in theory with all its knobs the UI should be great, but its step sequencer kind of fought with the parameters. When everything came together it sounded pretty badass, but it was a bit of a struggle, less inspiring than I'd hoped. I actually prefer working with Plogue Chipsounds. I sold it to pay for the Atmegatron, and that's a box I love. It's a beast with any of its firmware.

The AY3 is just a big pile of squarewaves and really screwy amplitude "envelopes," no filter. It's the sound chip from the Intellivision. Definitely not warm. Fun stuff can happen with phase betwen the oscillators, though. Mine's gotten extremely flaky behavior-wise and I don't tend to pull it out that much.

I'm kind of thinking about getting a Pokey-based synth for other oddball chiptune weirdness. What's holding me back is the possibility that Chipsounds is really just as good and easier to control without referring to a MIDI CC chart... I'm going to have to play with that a bit.

Now I am here, I may as well list my humble and trimmed hardware studio just for...well...I don't know really but here we go.

Roland MC909
Roland JP8000
Roland JD-Xi
Korg Minilogue
Korg Volca Bass

Xenyx X1204usb for mixer
Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Behringer Denoiser snr2000
iPad Air 2 for recording in Cubasis or Auria Pro

Do not wish anything else for the moment and do not have space or money for it anyway.
All is good.

Cheers
Last edited by IncarnateX on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is there no way to just delete a post?
Last edited by zerocrossing on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:One man's Bugs is another man's Fudd.
:lol:

Well, some recent 'updates' have put me in a holding pattern waiting for support...
And I'm thanking the blessings of having hardware when the hosting software is farked.
To add to the mitigation of recording downtime... I'll play.

While I do have more, this seems to be the most current and relative to the topic:
Keys;Synths;Controllers:
Korg KronosX 88 with a PadKontrol
Roland V-Synth GT
Yamaha Montage 7
Korg Radias (rack)
StudioLogic VMK-188 plus
Native Instruments Maschine Studio
Roland R-70
Vocal Rack:
TC Helicon VoiceWorks +
Art MPA II Tube Preamp
For microphones I mostly use Sennheiser Dynamics and an AKG Condenser
(but I have others collecting in a box too -AKG/Peavey/Sony).
Interface:
MOTU 24IO
MOTU MIDI Express XT

I am planning on adding another controller also, but haven't made any final decision on which one.
Last edited by BBFG# on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cryophonik wrote:I do occasionally consider swapping out my Nord 4R for a Prophet 12 module.
I would not do that if I were you. The Prophet 12 has some flaws that are not commonly spoken of. The oscillators leak like sieves. It ends up lending to a sour kind of sound that's hard to dial out at the best, at the worst it sounds like a very audible drone. If you have any amount of oscillator gain turned up (the best way to get some beef out of the analog style oscillators) and some distortion it becomes unusable. According to DSI, this is "by design."

I found that it could be great for distressed kinds of sounds, but for warm goodness you're better off in Omnisphere 2. You're better off with a PolyEvolver or Ambika for hybrid type sounds. Even a cheap SQ80. If you can, I'd definitely get my hands on one for a long demo session before you make that trade.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

0 hardware instruments or effects.
2 hardware controllers (+1 keyboard which doesn't fit on my desk)
1 DJ console (XDJ-RX).

Hoping to buy Korg Minilogue and electric guitar. Just to be able to play everything.
When I will be old and/or rich, I'll try eurorack.

In general, I don't see the reason to own many hardware synths. I still only have 2 hands to play them :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

zerocrossing wrote:
cryophonik wrote:I do occasionally consider swapping out my Nord 4R for a Prophet 12 module.
I would not do that if I were you. The Prophet 12 has some flaws that are not commonly spoken of. The oscillators leak like sieves. It ends up lending to a sour kind of sound that's hard to dial out at the best, at the worst it sounds like a very audible drone. If you have any amount of oscillator gain turned up (the best way to get some beef out of the analog style oscillators) and some distortion it becomes unusable. According to DSI, this is "by design."
Thanks for that input! I've always sorta lusted over the P12, but I really don't think I could actually talk myself into getting rid of the Nord anyway.
zerocrossing wrote:I found that it could be great for distressed kinds of sounds, but for warm goodness you're better off in Omnisphere 2. You're better off with a PolyEvolver or Ambika for hybrid type sounds.
Yeah, I've been using Omni since the day v1 was released (upgraded from Atmosphere), then upgraded to v2 immediately upon release, and it's my go-to for warm synth sounds. I'm pretty sure that some version of Omnisphere been used in every single track I've made since in was released.

My PolyEvolver was one of the synths I sold when I downsized my studio years ago. I had the rack version, which was really meant as more of an expander and was only realistically editable via the software editor, or via my MonoEvolver (which I also sold :( ). My plan at the time was to eventually buy the full keyboard version, but then the P12 was released and the Mono/Poly Evolvers were discontinued. I'd still love to have another PE, but the rack version just isn't worth it to me (and nearly impossible to find!) and I just don't have the space for another full-sized keyboard.
Last edited by cryophonik on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

edit..
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX wrote:

-Nord Lead A1

Didn't you have a minilogue?
Yes i had one but the sound was to tame for my taste.
I made hoover and other sounds on it but it still had that Minilogue Signature sound behind them that i didn't like.

Could be that i had to high expectations to begin with (Hoped for a more ballsy analog sound).
TheoM wrote:

-Nord Lead A1

Great, i have those too :) Love them, were good VFM too imo.
Have you programmed any of your own patches with the synth section of JD and done any custom sounds with the A1?
Yes they are excellent synths :tu:
I have programmed Many different sounds on my NL A1 (Basses, Leads, Plucked, Formant, FM, Hoovers and so on) :)

Haven't had much time to make something on the JD-Xi Yet since the A1 is so Addictive to play with that the hours fly once i start to tweak :)

I also forgot to mention:
-Roland System 1
-Roland sh101(Plugout)
-Roland SH2(Plugout)

DJ Warmonger wrote:In general, I don't see the reason to own many hardware synths. I still only have 2 hands to play them :shrug:
There's this wonderful thing called sequencers, you should check them out :D

I generally just use one or two hardware synths in any given track, but I do like the inspiration and different workflow they bring.

TheoM wrote:I also don't understand WHY someone won't mute me (or anyone) if they constantly seem to get into fights with that person.. doesn't that sort of suggest that they enjoy the conflict?
I wonder how many people in real life you told to just gag you, if they don't like what you're saying. :) It's your thing of course, but i usually try to act so i don't conflict with every second person i approach, online or in real life. It's also a matter of self-discipline, and that IS in the hand of the person making a statement. I have a few issues here and there, which is kind of normal, but if you really "leave a trace of mayhem" behind you, then there's surely something you should do, not the others.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”