Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't really see but maybe you are effectively hitting two keys? A slight wobble on a key would cause it to trigger another note - remembit's effectively continuous pitch variation like a violin and the keywaves are only guides. It's showing two notes being played on the dashboard.

So I'd suggest turning off the glide and see if that makes a difference.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Thanks ChamomileShark for your reply.

I think the problem must be different since the note that sounds next to the A is not the Bb or B, it is the C.

Anyway, I have turning off the glide to see what happens the same. And I have uploaded this new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4VP0yBixoM

What do you think?

Thank you!!

ChamomileShark wrote:I can't really see but maybe you are effectively hitting two keys? A slight wobble on a key would cause it to trigger another note - remembit's effectively continuous pitch variation like a violin and the keywaves are only guides. It's showing two notes being played on the dashboard.

So I'd suggest turning off the glide and see if that makes a difference.

hmm, does look like a problem - Roli are usually fairly quick to respond so send a support request

nuki wrote:Thanks ChamomileShark for your reply.

I think the problem must be different since the note that sounds next to the A is not the Bb or B, it is the C
Maybe they accidentally gave you the newest model with inbuilt chord-helper :P

Definitely looks like some kind of fault, to me :(

Thanks ChamomileShar and el-bo

I have already contacted ROLI and after ruling out the firmware error, I have proposed activating the return.

Thanks for all

HI,

While I solve the incidence of Seaboard ... Is there a forum where you talk about configurations and setups to use different instruments (VSTs, KONTAKT ...)?

I found something on the Roli channel on Youtube, but I was looking for something more ...

Thanks!!! :tu:

nuki wrote:HI,

While I solve the incidence of Seaboard ... Is there a forum where you talk about configurations and setups to use different instruments (VSTs, KONTAKT ...)?

I found something on the Roli channel on Youtube, but I was looking for something more ...

While I do appreciate the 5D functionality of these 'boards, I am such an amateur with setting up stuff like this. I tend to stick with Equator for the more expressive stuff, and actually, most of the time I am happy to use my Rise in 'piano' mode (It's still the most expressive surface I've ever used).

I'd love to see a resource for configurations, mapping suggestions etc.

Why don't you start a thread within this sub-forum?

nuki wrote:HI,

Hi, go here https://support.roli.com/support/discussions

I tend to find their stuff all a bit scattered - some is in videos, some are in the help pages, some on the forum.

I'm waiting for the instructions for Halion 6 which they have just added to the MPE list. I know there is stuff on Kontakt, Falcon, Equator and I think Strobe2.

One thing to be aware of - by default I think slide (cc 74 filter cutoff) is set by default to about 60 - ie half way. That can give you 2 issues - if you want to bring something up from silence by opening up a filter it won't work. Similarly I have Mtron Pro which presumably for the same reason everytime I hit a key the filter half closes.

The work around for the first is to use some kind of MIDI manipulation in your DAW (I use Cubase and I have the instructions somewhere on how to do that). The second I guess I will need to fiddle with the slide curve I guess.

I think the learning I've seen from people is to be aware that just because you can modulate everything - it won't always sound musical or fit in your mix.

I'm really pleased that the new dashboard allows me to save set ups (something I asked for previously). When I get back to making music I'll start to create new modes for the modular, various odd bits of hardware and software here.

Thanks!!
el-bo, maybe someone with more experience in the forum can do it

Thanks ChamomileShark

I'll visit that roli forum
Thanks for your tips!!

I use cubase too with Kontakt. I think I use it correctly but I'm not sure:
(Little error: On Dashboard Pitch Bend Range=12)
DAW SCREEN.PNG
Thanks for you help!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So I've decided to stop purchasing synths, after I grab Chromaphone 2! and buy a Seaboard Rise 49 or Linnstrument(full sized). I'm leaning toward the Seaboard Rise due to the fact that there is only 1 Linnstrument dealer in Canada still, while I can find the Seaboard at virtually every major music store in my city.
My main concern with the Seaboard is the software is apparently very CPU hungry. Both Equator and the Dashboard seem on the heavy side.
I don't mind bouncing tracks down, if necessary, since I really do need an MPE controller for what I'm trying to do. I mostly use Kontakt and Sample Modeling/Swam Modeling instruments for production and would like to create full sections using the solo instruments, which from what I've been able to gather requires a lot of MIDI cc data.
I just want to know will this thing run on my PC which is getting a bit long in the tooth?

My PC uses a AMD Phenom x 4 2.8 Ghz. Ram=12GB DDR3.

I've never had any issues running any synths, though I may have had to adjust the buffer for the demo of Diva. Do you guys think it will be fine for the Seaboard and it's software?
I was hoping to use this system for another 2 years before finally upgrading.

No love for the Seaboard for a while, which reflects my own situation. Since re-organising my studio, mine has been where I tend not to use it, so it's remained untouched now for four months or more. I'd actually been thinking of selling it, as it's worth a lot of money. But last weekend I re-organised everything again and it ended up front-and-centre so I've been using it non-stop this week.

Coming back to it after a long break I have come to realise that I absolutely love it! I find it so much more rewarding to play than anything else. Somehow it suits my un-co fingers and allows me to play faster with good accuracy/timing than I can on a normal keyboard (or mini-keys). I also find it much easier to add expression to my claw-handed playing because I rest my fat sausage fingers on the "waves", which makes it much easier to control "strike" (velocity) and "pressure" (after-touch) very precisely. Add in a bit of "slide" and it makes for the best playing I've ever managed.

When I first got it, I tried to play it like a normal keyboard but since I've changed my style to take better advantage of it's unique features, I have really powered ahead with it. I can imagine better piano players than I am (i.e. actual piano players) might never adjust but I've never had any technique to speak of, so I didn't have much of a problem changing things to get the best out of it.

When I installed all the latest versions of the software last night, I noticed they've made changes to the GUIs to make the fonts look better and made some subtle colour adjustments that make it all look a little slicker. I'd forgotten how much I like Equator, too, so it's good to have that back in my arsenal.

Another interesting thing I noticed last night was that the standalone Equator defaults to "Windows Audio". It also has options for Direct Sound and ASIO (of course). My first thought was to change it to ASIO but then I realised that Windows Audio was playing with very little latency (it says 10ms). I switched to Direct Sound and the latency was 720ms!! ASIO was fine but if I use it for Equator it means I can't also run ORION, which would be a problem. So running it with Windows Audio and leaving ASIO for ORION means I can do everything at once (for maximum fun).

Does anyone know anything about "Windows Audio"? Is it the new audio system Ms made for their Universal platform (UWP)? I remember seeing a realtime drumming demo for that a few years ago. That would make Equator an "app", not a desktop application, which is fine by me. Whatever it is, more developers need to get onto it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

hey Bones, I don't have an answer to your question but like you I'm not really a keyboard player but I find the Roli great for more delicate orchestral samples - you can just caress the keyboard and it sounds wonderful.

Yeah, exactly! Another thing I realise I've been doing is turning my hand and hitting keys at an angle so that i can get better/harder strike when I need it (I don't have to stretch my fingers as far). That's something I'd never have thought to do on a normal keyboard (and I imagine it is something a piano teacher would give you a rap on the knuckles for doing).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So what other sounds is seaboard suited to? From what I've seen on youtube (and there aren't many) it seems more suited to mono/lead patches and exotic lead instruments. I take it the controller settings like pressure can be assigned to any parameter like filter, is that right? If so have you had any encouraging results doing electronic music, especially polyphonic stuff?

I'm seriously looking at investing in this (even switching daws just to use it) cause on the surface it seems like an all round real-time modulator for electronic music but I'm not sure if the electronic community have either looked at this or currently use it for that purpose. As I said, there's few videos on this subject, everyone seems to be using it for lead guitar sounds.

Ive seen no youtube videos on people using it for rhode keys or piano sounds either.

I think the Seaboard is definitely most suited to mono/load patches and solo instruments such as woodwinds. The intricate expression you can get in solo vibrato, plus all the other dimensions of touch, is really a perfect match. In fact, I've found that I tend to prefer simpler patches, leaving pitch and timbral variation to modulation by the Seaboard.

I suppose it also works well for complex pad sounds, where every dimension of touch can modulate multiple aspects of the sound. For those kinds of patches, I find I generally prefer using a traditional keyboard alongside an Expressive E Touche. However, you can get some pretty interesting sounds where you have LFO frequency being modulated per note on the Seaboard.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”