Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cinebient wrote:My seaboard rise will ship tomorrow :clap:
cool, did you manage to get to try one beforehand?
will be interested to hear what you think of it... I hope you enjoy it :party:

aMUSEd wrote:How easy is it to transpose octaves on the Rise?
the +/- buttons are octave transpose.
(I think someone on MW said they wished they were a little bigger)

Look forward to hearing your report on it! :wink:

thetechnobear wrote:
cool, did you manage to get to try one beforehand?
will be interested to hear what you think of it... I hope you enjoy it :party:

aMUSEd wrote:How easy is it to transpose octaves on the Rise?
the +/- buttons are octave transpose.
(I think someone on MW said they wished they were a little bigger)
No, i had no chance to test it before. It´s now here.... but i´m tired and feel sick from work, so i will open it tomorrow. I know when i try it today i will get no sleep tonight :D

O.k. i couldn´t resist and unboxed it. The build quality is amazing and it looks and feels very good. I just wanted to try it as "normal" midi keyboard to start. Mmmhhh, it don´t want to play well yet. I got silent notes and also a few stuck notes when trying to use it just as plug´n play device.
When i play notes fast, many of them won´t play (i hit them hard). Even slow changes will not work always. I play a note, hit another while holding the first but i only hear the first still.
Not sure why it´s not working like expected.
I will try to figure out what i´m doing wrong (i must do something wrong).
So at least plug in and play (like with my samson graphite 49) doesn´t work here.

Edit: Now it seems to work after i made a hard reset of my system.
So, now i can start to test it further. It feels like an extraterrestrial keyboard :borg:
So far i like it.....

O.k. the hardware and software is absolut awesome and i love it so much!
The only downside, it seems i can´t use my own samples inside the equator synth (or i just didn´t found a way yet).
However, the synth has fantastic presets (at the moment 127) and the UI is very good and even in Logic scalable up to full screen!
Roli did really a fantastic job and the hardware and software together is such an awesome thing for me!
Absolutly worth the money for me!! :tu: :clap: :phones: :love:

I've got to try this in the shop - the small octave range is the only thing putting me off.

Here is my first play with it. I used 13 from the default patches and made just a short experimental kind of soundtrack. I added one bus in Logic to send it trough one Aether and B2.
This combination is great!! Next i will try to see how it connect to some iOS apps :)

https://soundcloud.com/cinebient/equato ... first-play

Cinebient wrote:O.k. i couldn´t resist and unboxed it. The build quality is amazing and it looks and feels very good. I just wanted to try it as "normal" midi keyboard to start. Mmmhhh, it don´t want to play well yet. I got silent notes and also a few stuck notes when trying to use it just as plug´n play device.
When i play notes fast, many of them won´t play (i hit them hard). Even slow changes will not work always. I play a note, hit another while holding the first but i only hear the first still.
Not sure why it´s not working like expected.
I will try to figure out what i´m doing wrong (i must do something wrong).
So at least plug in and play (like with my samson graphite 49) doesn´t work here.

Edit: Now it seems to work after i made a hard reset of my system.
So, now i can start to test it further. It feels like an extraterrestrial keyboard :borg:
So far i like it.....
Hi there,
The RISE can be used as a "normal" MIDI controller but you must open ROLI Dashboard for RISE and set the RISE to "Single Channel" mode (in this mode you will not have independent expression on a note per note basis).

For independent expression on a note per note basis you should set the RISE to "Multi-Channel"mode. Use the "Range From" to determine the number of channels that you want to transmit on (this directly affects polyphony, as the number of channels in the range will determine the number of notes that you can play simultaneously, each with independent expressivity).

If you are playing notes and not hearing them, it is likely that the RISE is transmitting on more channels than your host synth is receiving on. Please make sure that the "Range From" matches the number of independent channels that your synth is receiving.

When notes don't trigger it may be because you are in "Multi" mode and transmitting on more channels than your host synth is set to receive on. As long as the RISE is in "Multi-Channel" mode, using it with Equator will be very "plug-n-play". Third party synths need a little setup first.

Cinebient wrote:O.k. the hardware and software is absolut awesome and i love it so much!
The only downside, it seems i can´t use my own samples inside the equator synth (or i just didn´t found a way yet).
However, the synth has fantastic presets (at the moment 127) and the UI is very good and even in Logic scalable up to full screen!
Roli did really a fantastic job and the hardware and software together is such an awesome thing for me!
Thanks for the kind words. The ability for users to import their own samples into Equator is something our team is working hard on making a reality in the not-too-distant future. It's a feature that's coming in an update!

Great. Another expensive piece of equipment I want. I have so many basic controllers already and barely use them because they're either too big, not located conveniently, or just plain not special. I wish this thing existed years ago when I had money (or when I was wrecking my credit). There are several pieces of gear I wasted money on that I'd have not bought back then if this controller existed at the time. Anyone want to buy an expensive master word clock?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Great. Another expensive piece of equipment I want. Anyone want to buy an expensive master word clock?
Yeah but... Seems like this one might be a step up. I mean setting it up to work with each parameter of a sound might kind of suck... but... But...

Dammit I want one too. Already have a Novation SL MKII61, so... Right now can't justify it. Dammit though looks like less sustain-pedal-and-reach-for-a-knob twiddly and more control with the fingers... :party:

I thought also it´s a bit expensive but the build quality is so superb, no plastics! Dark metal and high quality silicon interface. It´s build like a tank....and even looks like a stealthbomber. I´m sure they extract it out of an alien ship :borg:
Finally also someone who knows how to make a nearly perfect UI for a software. It´s simple, beautiful and very well layed out.
of course it´s a personal opinion but for me it´s the best UI inside a music production software i ever used including everything from iOS to desktop tools.
Sure i miss a few things but they know what they do!
Call me a fan-boy now :D

....now i just will buy synths and tools with MPE midi support. This is the way to go :tu:

I really hope they come out with a RISE model that has more octaves soon. A four or five octave model in a price range comparable to the Linnstrument would be fantastic.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Roli Team wrote:
Cinebient wrote:O.k. the hardware and software is absolut awesome and i love it so much!
Thanks for the kind words. The ability for users to import their own samples into Equator is something our team is working hard on making a reality in the not-too-distant future. It's a feature that's coming in an update!
That sounds very good! I hope there will be an easy way to share patch banks as well.

Great to hear that your enjoying it Cinebient, it's hard to explain with words the 'freedom' these controllers give you ... best to try them, but just be prepared to be smitten :)

On the MPE VST front, if you haven't already, then try Madrona Labs Aalto and UVI Falcon - Aalto is my go to, and Falcon is new, but has potential to be a new workhorse synth for me.

( I've made a list somewhere here on KVR for someone else not too long ago who wanted to know MPE enabled synths , possibly related to bitwig)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”