Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is another impressive demonstration of the Grand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSko8vHOf8g

audientronic wrote:Interesting. Keybed is shallower and made from a different material than the other Rolis. One question I have is if the new material is as durable as the other Rolis.
Both Keywave surfaces on the GRAND and RISE are made from a similar, durable silicone elastomer. The RISE also has a urethane coating which reduces friction to accommodate the Slide ("Y" axis) gesture.

The handful of patch demos for Equator, the wavetable synth these ROLI controllers come with, sound fantastic.
https://www.roli.com/equator

deastman wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I wanna know if they are going to do version with more octaves. I think the minimum I'd want is three. But 4 or 5 octave would be even better. If it's going to be in a keyboard layout, I'd want to be able to use 2 hands. Otherwise it seems like a linnstrument would be a better option.
These are my thoughts exactly. But if they make a 4 or 5 octave version, I wonder if the price will go right back up to the levels of their other products. I'm really torn between the Linnstrument, with its large octave range, and the Roli line, which at least lets me take advantage of my existing piano keyboard skills. I can see myself never actually practicing enough to become proficient with the Linnstrument, whereas the Roli should be a fairly quick adjustment. Decisions...
Don't you mean lumpboard skills?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'm really interested in one of those controllers. Still not sure if it can do really more like using my iPad for expressive midi playing.
The rise has more dimensions but it seem it's not really possible to use the x and y achis at the same time like on a flat screen.
The big plus is the polyphonic pressure you can add. But it seems very hard to use more than one dimension at the same time while it's easy on a synth like Animoog on my iPad.
I wished the flat parts would be bigger so that i could use it for continuous changes of the X,Y and Z achsis at the same time.
With Animoog f.e. i can bend notes independly but i can also use the y achis at the same time to change modulation independly. If i now could add the pressure here it would be perfect.
I don't know if this works with this seaboard rise. If yes.... i will def. buy one.

So my question is, could i also bend the notes when im playing in the middle on the keywaves or does that only works on the small flat parts on the top and below the keywaves.

Cinebient wrote:
So my question is, could i also bend the notes when im playing in the middle on the keywaves or does that only works on the small flat parts on the top and below the keywaves.
You can bend the note anywhere for vibrato type bending... but it is on the top and bottom areas that you can transpose a note up say an octave.

zerocrossing wrote:
deastman wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I wanna know if they are going to do version with more octaves. I think the minimum I'd want is three. But 4 or 5 octave would be even better. If it's going to be in a keyboard layout, I'd want to be able to use 2 hands. Otherwise it seems like a linnstrument would be a better option.
These are my thoughts exactly. But if they make a 4 or 5 octave version, I wonder if the price will go right back up to the levels of their other products. I'm really torn between the Linnstrument, with its large octave range, and the Roli line, which at least lets me take advantage of my existing piano keyboard skills. I can see myself never actually practicing enough to become proficient with the Linnstrument, whereas the Roli should be a fairly quick adjustment. Decisions...
Don't you mean lumpboard skills?
Exactly. My main trepidation about the Seaboard is that you're playing on top of these lumps. I suppose that isn't really any different than the black notes on a piano keyboard, but having to adjust to playing on top of lumps for the white notes is definitely going to be an adjustment. I was actually surprised that they didn't make the keys the indents, with ridges between them rather than the other way around.

I wish there was somewhere in the SF Bay Area where I could actually go and get my hands on it, just to see what the playing experience is really like. Its a lot of money to pay for something which is so foreign of an interface without ever getting to try one out first. Same thing with the Linnstrument, for that matter. Short of showing up at Roger Linn's house and banging on the door, I don't suppose there are any other options. I mean, I doubt Guitar Center has one on display...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
You can bend the note anywhere for vibrato type bending... but it is on the top and bottom areas that you can transpose a note up say an octave.
Thank's..... then sadly this is still too limited for me for what i'm searching :(
If i can't use the X,Y and Z achsis at the same time i can do still more expressive play with my iPad.

you can use x/y/z at the same time... what do you think you cannot do?
(Im not sure there is a limitation of sliding wave to wave, so much as its easier to do on the ribbons, watch the JR masterclass, he shows really well the technique)

why do you think your iPad is any where near as expressive?, it not only lacks any pressure support (let along poly pressure), but also velocity (and release velocity), and probably most importantly any tactile feedback.

I suggest you try to get your hands on a RISE, it'll become pretty clear the difference then.
also try the Linnstrument, if the keyboard layout is not an important element for you,
... or if you want a fully continuous surface a Haken Continuum or Madrona Labs Soundplane (be hard to find one to try!)

thetechnobear wrote:you can use x/y/z at the same time... what do you think you cannot do?
(Im not sure there is a limitation of sliding wave to wave, so much as its easier to do on the ribbons, watch the JR masterclass, he shows really well the technique)

why do you think your iPad is any where near as expressive?, it not only lacks any pressure support (let along poly pressure), but also velocity (and release velocity), and probably most importantly any tactile feedback.

I suggest you try to get your hands on a RISE, it'll become pretty clear the difference then.
also try the Linnstrument, if the keyboard layout is not an important element for you,
... or if you want a fully continuous surface a Haken Continuum or Madrona Labs Soundplane (be hard to find one to try!)
True but on my iPad i can use X, Y achsis at the same time (polyphonic). Also i can use the accelerometer, the gyroscope etc. in some apps. Then i also can use the amount of finger (polyphonic) on the screen. So here are even more than 3 dimensions possible in theory. Then it seems that the new iPhones 3D touch can use polyphonic pressure as well, also in a high resolution of 128 f.e. (an iOS developer talked about it). Could be interesting for an iPad Pro 2 ;)
But you are right and i must test it myself. Especially the synth parts in the rise videos are still too static and i can get more out of some of my iPad synths. How could i ever play one note and change the X, Y and Z achsis parameter. That seems not possible with this keywaves layout.

The Seaboard is going to be way more expressive than what you can get out of an iPad. For one thing, it has polyphonic aftertouch, where the iPad doesn't have any pressure at all. And from what I understand, the force touch on the iPhone is monophonic. The other big advantage of all the new expressive controllers is that they provide an actual tactile surface to interact with. If you think rubbing your fingers across a smooth sheet of glass makes for a better musical instrument, more power to you, but I'm pretty sure that most people prefer something with a little more three dimensional definition. I'm not sure why you think it would be difficult to control three dimensions of control on the Seaboard- the videos clearly demonstrate how easy that is. As for the demo synth parts, I wouldn't be buying a controller based on the sonic qualities of the demo sounds... I have my own synths to control.

deastman wrote:The Seaboard is going to be way more expressive than what you can get out of an iPad. For one thing, it has polyphonic aftertouch, where the iPad doesn't have any pressure at all. And from what I understand, the force touch on the iPhone is monophonic. The other big advantage of all the new expressive controllers is that they provide an actual tactile surface to interact with. If you think rubbing your fingers across a smooth sheet of glass makes for a better musical instrument, more power to you, but I'm pretty sure that most people prefer something with a little more three dimensional definition. I'm not sure why you think it would be difficult to control three dimensions of control on the Seaboard- the videos clearly demonstrate how easy that is. As for the demo synth parts, I wouldn't be buying a controller based on the sonic qualities of the demo sounds... I have my own synths to control.
I agree here, especially about tactile feedback of course.
You can do polyphonic aftertouch on iPads... like i said. It just works different. Also the 3D touch is polyphonic like i said. Of course developers must do the best out of it.
Booth things have their pro and contra.
I find it just still a bit expensive.... booth ;)

So please show me a video where someone hit a note on the rise, bend this note while changing the modulation vis the Y achsis. Since i only can bend the notes on top and on the botton this can't work or?

Cinebient wrote:
deastman wrote:The Seaboard is going to be way more expressive than what you can get out of an iPad. For one thing, it has polyphonic aftertouch, where the iPad doesn't have any pressure at all. And from what I understand, the force touch on the iPhone is monophonic. The other big advantage of all the new expressive controllers is that they provide an actual tactile surface to interact with. If you think rubbing your fingers across a smooth sheet of glass makes for a better musical instrument, more power to you, but I'm pretty sure that most people prefer something with a little more three dimensional definition. I'm not sure why you think it would be difficult to control three dimensions of control on the Seaboard- the videos clearly demonstrate how easy that is. As for the demo synth parts, I wouldn't be buying a controller based on the sonic qualities of the demo sounds... I have my own synths to control.
I agree here, especially about tactile feedback of course.
You can do polyphonic aftertouch on iPads... like i said. It just works different. Also the 3D touch is polyphonic like i said. Of course developers must do the best out of it.
Booth things have their pro and contra.
I find it just still a bit expensive.... booth ;)

So please show me a video where someone hit a note on the rise, bend this note while changing the modulation vis the Y achsis. Since i only can bend the notes on top and on the botton this can't work or?
No, I think you misunderstood an earlier
comment about the note bending. You can bend any note continuously. There are also touch strips at the top and bottom which don't have the wave lumps, making it an easier area to do wide, dramatic pitch sweeps. But if you want to add vibrato or the like to individual notes, that is easily accomplished anywhere on the keyboard.

And not to quibble, but the iPad does not do pressure. Yes, you can look at the surface area of a touch and more or less derive something similar to pressure from it, but that isn't remotely the same thing when it comes to detailed expressive performance control. It's more like the conductive surface area of my Make Noise eurorack modules- yes, I can kind of mash my finger down to alter a CV out, but the experience isn't at all the same as using a proper force sensing module.

Cinebient wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Thank's..... then sadly this is still too limited for me for what i'm searching :(
If i can't use the X,Y and Z achsis at the same time i can do still more expressive play with my iPad.
like technobear said, the RISE will be far more expressive than an iPad... and you can use X, Y and Z at the same time and with a lot more nuance.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”