Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

if its set up for metel, string buzz is less of an issue because distortion!
and palm muting.

In addition to action you might have issues with the neck being bowed (would need a truss rod adjustment) or possibly you might need to adjust the radius on the strings. Not sure if the NiteFly has a zero fret, but if it doesn't you could put a capo on the 1st fret and measure string heights at the 12th fret - that way you get nut issues out of the way (although if you find issues without the capo in place you should look to see if it is a nut issue).

nut issue :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:52 pm nut issue :hihi:

I always grease my nut for better action.

:o

You didn't think you were getting away with that one, did you?

reggie1979 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:42 am You didn't think you were getting away with that one, did you?
:lol:

That's the problem - it's so easy to not notice when you write something like that... :hihi:

Thanks for the good ideas. I'm ignorant of guitars enough that it is possible the neck could be warped without me being able to detect it. But so far as I can tell it seems straight with level frets. I have a little stainless 6 inch machinists straight edge and I can glide it all the way up and down the neck without "hitting any frets" with the end of the straight edge. Peering down the neck looks straight.

I have some feeler gauges somewhere but it was easier to find my calipers. Using digital calipers, I'm not expert at measuring (it does take some skill and calipers are not really the ideal measuring instrument for this job) I measure in this ballpark for all the strings across the neck. The numbers might not be "real accurate" but as close as I can get with the depth stub of digital calipers.

22nd fret string height above fret about 2.5 mm
12th fret string height above fret about 2.1 mm
5th fret string height above fret about 1.5 mm
1st fret string height above fret about 0.4 or 0.5 mm

Every fret on every string will play clean with no buzz if picked "gentler than I am easily able to control". Checked with a Strobotuner, every fret on every string is within a couple of cents where it ought to be all the way up and down.

Maybe something fundamental needs fixing, but I ignorantly think this is a case of a precision instrument in the hands of a very imprecise player. :) I went looking for "one good guitar for a keyboardist" back about 1998 and the nitefly was the closest adjusted one I played at any store. Guitar friends said I could have bought a cheap mexican strat and got an expert to set it up just as good, but the parker is like a "precision fat strat" that they put in the setup work at the factory and it outshone any other guitar I would just take off the wall and play at any of the local stores.

The crazy thing is that after a couple of decades so far as I can tell it is in just as good setup as when it was new.

The manual says it was factory calibrated for light strings, 0.009 to 0.042. That is the only size I've ever used on it.

It seems to be set up so precise, am reluctant to try heavier strings which would involve adjusting the tremolo spring tension and probably require the saddles adjusted for pitch. Same deal just raising the strings would require tremolo spring tension adjustment and possible saddle pitch adjustment.

I think maybe it could have fatter tone with slightly heavier strings. What string size, bigger than 0.009 - 0.042, would be likely to give fatter tone but maybe not knock out the neck tuning real bad?

But the tone is ok even with the skinny strings. Ideally if I could just figure out how to pick the guitar gentle enough not to buzz the strings on all the frets all the way up the neck....

Just thinking..perhaps the issue then is not not with the right hand (this could end badly...... :hihi: ) but with the left?

Are you fretting the shapes cleanly, or too close to the next fret, or not with enough pressure? Even after all these years I still probably only play an open A chord without some buzzing one time out of every 10.. :scared:

JCJR wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 am 12th fret string height above fret about 2.1 mm
For all strings, and with a zero fret or with a capo on (on, not behind) the first fret? Also you should hold the guitar in playing position when measuring - if you lay it down flat, then gravity will pull the strings downwards slightly and your reading will be a fraction lower than it should be.

That's not an extremely low action, but it's a little on the low side. You could probably raise each string at the bridge a little to remove the buzzing, but depending on how high you raise it, you might find it slightly more difficult to fret strings.

This thread is 539 pages and still in the wrong forum, it belongs into Guitars, shall I report it? :x :x :evil: :help:

We can ask Hink?
I have one of my threads moved there atm
-thanks with sugar on top to Ben

It would make sense to have this in the guitar forum now that there is one.

Maybe just merge the new thread with this one and move to one consolidated thread?

As a gigging bassist and guitarist, the Fender American Professional Telecaster guitar and Ibanez Prestige SR5005 bass are on my wish list. However, due to my present collection, another bass or guitar purchase is not a high priority at this time.

Silaris wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm As a gigging bassist and guitarist, the Fender American Professional Telecaster guitar and Ibanez Prestige SR5005 bass are on my wish list. However, due to my present collection, another bass or guitar purchase is not a high priority at this time.
A newer thread below.
Your next guitar revisited
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

so what do we want to do? Perhaps move this, lock it with the first and last page having a link to pt 2. This one will stay readily available for quite some time to come as the forum fills in...that's one thought anyhow...what do people want me to do?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”