Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hadn't seen these around for at least 10 years. I will get it, have 30 days to decide. I have a cheap 12 string electric, well setup, but still cheap. It is a PITA to get the strings to stay in the tailpiece when changing strings, which is one reason why I want one these.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I might not get the control over which of the paired strings get played but I'll take my Variax over a 12 string guitar everyday.

I used to love my Ovation 12 string till everything went nuts on it. After that I had no desire for a 12 string guitar ever again.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I prefer the real deal. My €229 Harley Benton (Thomann house brand) is perfectly setup, intonation and action are as good as on any of my expensive guitars. The issues are, as stated above, and the pickups are not the best.

My acoustic 12 string is another matter. It is a €2,500 custom Lakewood that is probably an excessive indulgence, but is nevertheless a glorious instrument.

Hardest time I ever had with 12 strings was trying to tune them on acid without even a tuning fork, lol.

I've played and loved 12 strings from pretty early on, so I don't think I'll change now.

BTW, I canceled the XII. I am going to be looking at a 2nd hand Gretsch this week, I hope.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Beauty is in the hand/eye of the beholder.

My Samick Fastback plays pretty well most days. It's funny the upper register gets a little buzzy as heat and sweat combine. I had a few Les Pauls. Really can't afford them again and if I had the money I'd most likely spend it elsewhere. I think if I were on a buying spree for guitars it would start and end on jazz boxes with mostly jazz boxes in between.

With regards to pups on "lesser instruments" in general. I love my Modern Player Plus tele (CIC) It's almost perfect as it was the day I received it. Funny to me because many a reviewer panned the setup of it. An amazing player and looker with crappy pups.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

something about the tele shape. classic lines. have an archer st10 which has exceeded expectations.

tapper mike wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm Beauty is in the hand/eye of the beholder.

With regards to pups on "lesser instruments" in general. I love my Modern Player Plus tele (CIC) It's almost perfect as it was the day I received it. Funny to me because many a reviewer panned the setup of it. An amazing player and looker with crappy pups.
Nice looking Tele. I have a MiM CAR with DiMarzio Twang Kings in it. It's ok, but I've never warmed to the CAR colour. It was a forced choice (long story).

Now, regarding pups on 'lesser' guitars. You really can't get much 'lesser' than the ones on my €229 Harley Benton 12 string electric. Not at €229. I bought this guitar because I wanted the electric 12 string 'flavour,' which it will do well enough if used sparingly. It is as well setup as a €229 guitar can get. However, to just jam on the thing starts to grate on my ears after about 10 minutes. I decided I want a 12 string electric that made me happy to play, and was not just a 'flavour.'

I canceled the Fender XII because I think it was overpriced. I could only get the Olympic White model as well, and I don't particularly care for that look.

So, I did a LOT of online research. I made tentative agreements with 4 people on eBay classifieds, and have canceled the lot after further reading.

If I want the guitar that will suit me, I am going to have to spend around 2x what I'd hoped to spend. Ironically, this will be my most expensive electric guitar should I decide to keep it. Haven't read anything negative about these babies, with the exception of a bit of neck dive. I can live with that.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g5422 ... ImVuIn0%3D
-Martin Luther King Jr.

ooh nice, i like the sound of a gretsch too, i reckon that tone will work lovely with 12 strings :love:

It does look yummy, doesn't it? I am getting the walnut finish model, which I prefer to the black.

This will be my first Gretsch, should I decide to keep it.
I had a chance to get a Yamaha Pacifica 303-12 for €400. Nice, but.....no.
Eastwood: out of stock, and, it seems, out of production. Someone in town has one, but after reading more reviews, have decided against it.
Someone has the Gretsch up for sale, with a modded strap 'button' that sticks out about 3 inches from the body to stop neck dive. I can just see it snapping off, turning the wrong way. I was going to go look at it, but decided against it. I know my history of not catching faults or issues during a short, distracted audition at a shop, only to find them at home, but, not having bought online, I don't get the right of return. Same as an eBay classified sale.
This, I'll get 30 day no ? asked return. Suits me.
I am going to have to sell my Harley Benton, and an Artcore AS103NT to help pay for it, though.

And. I. Hate. Selling.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I was going to buy one of these "Jeff Beck" Stratocaster for about $1700. I talked myself out
of it deciding to look into eurorack. Looking into that, it seems like a bit of a pain. At this
point I have no idea what I want to do. I very likely don't need 'another' guitar. :D

Love to plug that into my VOX!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

That Strat is pretty sweet, hot noiseless pickups, locking tuners and a great tremolo
and $300 less than the elite series strats. So freeking light as compared to my les paul...

I really need to stop looking at it heh...

Re Strat:

I loved my 80's "upgraded" (pre-strat plus with gold lace pups and grease bucket tone) Strat. And while I'm sure I could get one "new" from Sigler / 920D custom shop the neck wouldn't be the same.

Re Cheap Pups.... No they don't get worse then OLP stock pups with the exception of "hondo"

Bombadil wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:30 pm
This will be my first Gretsch, should I decide to keep it.

never had one!
though i do love the sound, they imo, require a certain kind of player, that player doesn't have short stubby fingers that don't do as theyre told :hihi:

my playing style requires something a little more forgiving :lol:

but in the right hands :love: :phones:
especially when played clean, just on the edge of feeding back through the hollow body mmmmmmmmm

............ :(
Last edited by Bombadil on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

that's well worth falling off the wagon for 8)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”