Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:haha! All I had to do was see the photo of the triplebucker and knew it was a hamer
That's where Burgerking got the idea from. :hihi:
Cheers,
susiwong

xtp wrote:This is my current Project. I guess it qualifies as my next Guitar.

I *hate* the positioning of the controls on a strat so that could well be my worst nightmare. But, I have to say, it looks really cool. :)

I think this is the wrong forum to talk about guitars. If you are a member of harmonycentral.com you'll probably get hundreds of replies :)

A Gibson but not sure yet which one of them. But one with 490R and 498T pick-ups. And new better bassguitar. Better than the crappy cheap yamahabass I got now. I want this one: http://www.thomann.de/se/warwick_corvette5_br.htm

For my next guitar, I would like to get something along the lines of a high quality Les Paul, although I'm not hung up on the name brand thing. If anyone has recommendations for a non-Gibson equivalent, I'd love to hear them. :)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

susiwong wrote:
surferman wrote:New guitar??? not really. old guitar but new to me.

1984 Hamer Prototype II.

Just got it.

surferman,
nice one !
Those old Hamers were something special.
How much did you pay for it ?
Cheers,
susiwong
Thanks!
$650 shipped. It's nearly perfect, all stock with an early Kahler with original case. wanted something that had a wide range of sounds.

Here is a short clip I made right after getting it. Not changing amp settings at all, One track going through doing the rhythm and switching through the pu combinations, then adding a lead track and switching through the pu combos again.

Prototype II jam

surferman wrote:Thanks!
$650 shipped. It's nearly perfect, all stock with an early Kahler with original case. wanted something that had a wide range of sounds.

Here is a short clip I made right after getting it. Not changing amp settings at all, One track going through doing the rhythm and switching through the pu combinations, then adding a lead track and switching through the pu combos again.

Prototype II jam
You're lucky I didn't see it first. :D
Good tones on that clip, too ! :tu:
Cheers,
susiwong

dubbelQ wrote:A Gibson but not sure yet which one of them. But one with 490R and 498T pick-ups.
If price is a concern let me recommend those.
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_les_pau ... d_wbcr.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_les_pau ... d_wccr.htm
Great, classic LP tone (early LP Customs didn't have a maple top either) and if you don't like the Burstbuckers (they are fine for bluesy low gain stuff but a bit sensitive to feedback with higher gain) you should be able to trade/sell them easily for a good price.
And for PUs, nothing beats Duncan Pearly Gates for all classic Gibson tones imho.
Everybody who ever played my 03 Standard
or Tokai ES
bought a set ... :D
Just saying, ymmv,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:
surferman wrote:Thanks!

Prototype II jam
You're lucky I didn't see it first. :D
Good tones on that clip, too ! :tu:
Cheers,
susiwong
I might know where a 82 prototype is. Doesn't have the neck pu.

surferman wrote:Image
Hey, thanks !
Unfortunately I can't realistically pick one up atm, first priority will probably be another amp, and then, maybe in a year, said PRS, if funds allow.
My comment was meant to say "wow, nice guitar, under the right circumstances I would not hesitate myself ..., in fact, a Prototype has been on my radar ever since the 80s, and yours is a really beautiful example (the other one, too !)."
That said, I appreciate your friendly heads-up a lot ! :)
Thank you and have fun with your new guitar,
susiwong

Oh I have and will. Just knew a guy trying hard to get rid of a nice prototype and took you literally. ;-)

I love me some Hamers and am always GASing for them.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

susiwong wrote:
dubbelQ wrote:A Gibson but not sure yet which one of them. But one with 490R and 498T pick-ups.
If price is a concern let me recommend those.
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_les_pau ... d_wbcr.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/gibson_les_pau ... d_wccr.htm
Great, classic LP tone (early LP Customs didn't have a maple top either) and if you don't like the Burstbuckers (they are fine for bluesy low gain stuff but a bit sensitive to feedback with higher gain) you should be able to trade/sell them easily for a good price.
Yep that's why I dont want any burstbuckers. I want a allround guitar from clean to high gain. Those two are quite cheap and alot of guitar for that amount of money. So sure if I can't afford a more expensive one I can allways replace with some nice Seymour Duncan pick ups and sell the others. .

GaryG wrote:
xtp wrote:This is my current Project. I guess it qualifies as my next Guitar.

I *hate* the positioning of the controls on a strat so that could well be my worst nightmare. But, I have to say, it looks really cool. :)
Its been a fun project so far. I had it for about a month with a cardboard pickguard and the pots/knobs and toggle switch attached to it while I decided the best way to fit it together.

Strats aren't really designed to have 4 pots, and the ones I purchased are quite a lot larger in physical size than the original ones. They only just fit.

I had to redraw the pickguard, its about 5mm higher overall to allow for the adjusting brackets for the neck P90.

I am a diehard fan of the P90, but I have always found both the SG, and the Les Paul quite uncomfortable to play, where as the Fender seems to suit my body shape.

So this is my compromise.

generalstargazer wrote:I think this is the wrong forum to talk about guitars.
I think it's definitely the right forum for guitars considering how many very experienced and knowledgeable guitarists are regulars here.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”