V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I suspect it might be overheating problem (CPU/Motherboard overheat).
Thermal paste has dried (its been 10 years since the HW has been produced). You can get it in ANY computer store.
Heatsink is not touching CPU enough.

I'd say open up VM and change the thermal paste. Make sure heatsink touches CPU - it should blow out HOT air as soon as it starts. If air is not hot (or even cold) - not enough contact with CPU. When repairing the thing be extra carefull with heatsink/motherboard mounting. Its made of really fragile metal.

Думаю что проблема в процессоре. Если часто его выключать и включать снова после того как он завис, то он работает до зависания всё меньше и меньше времени. Видно от того что процессор с каждым разом всё больше нагревается и по тому всё меньше времени он работает до зависания. Но как решить эту проблему? Ведь процессор не заменишь сам.

I think that the problem is in the processor. If you turn it off frequently and turn it on again after it hangs, it works until it hangs up less and less. It can be seen from the fact that the processor every time more and more heated, and by that less and less time it works until it hangs. But how to solve this problem? You can not replace the processor yourself.

I also thought that heat is not transmitted to the radiator, but that's not the point. then there's no way to fix it if the problem is in the processor, right?

Hello everybody.
My V-Machine won't boot. The screen lights on and the V-Machine message is there, the progress bar goes on but ... at the end I get the timeout message. One more strange symptom is that the fan does not start at all.
There is no USB device connected and I have not made any other modifications.
Any suggestions?

I feel the need to contribute here to help out others that also may be facing the timeout message that forces you to boot from an USB Eras*stick.after having exchanged the default memory circuit for a (16 GB in my case) Compact Flash. I followed the recommended steps and formats for both the USB stick and the CF card, and still my V-machine was not booting unless it had the stick inserted.To isolate the issue was not easy, even following the instructions. In the end after multiple attempts I made it work.

So for me the culprit were

1- One of the USB sticks A generic no-brand 4GB seemed to do its job, but somehow once the files were transferred and the Compact Flash had its partitions ok, the device timed out and the V-machine had to have the USB stick inserted at boot . Another one (S*ndisk Cr*zer 16 GB) made it work.

2- *One of the CF cards * The Kingston 16 GB ultimate 600x didn't work. After the CF card was properly formatted the process of data transferring info from the EraseStick never finished. A S*ndisk 16 GB extreme 60 MB/seg worked ok. In other words, there are some devices that are incompatible but there's no way to know which one will work so, if it does not, try a different one until you find the right one. Another CF card also worked, for some time, but it was too small (Kingston 2 GB).

Hello there,
I purchased a used v-machine which worked fine. During an update through the VFX software, the v-machine was accidentally unplugged and, further to that, it is no longer recognised by the PC and VFX software neither does it boot as a standalone device.
Instead, when turning it on, it stays at the "v-machine" screen stage forever.
I tried erase stick but nothing happened.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?
Thanx!

Edit: apparently solved, it was finally seen by the VFX software and started updating (I suppose it will take several hours...) Thanx anyway!

Fan not starting = might be memory problems (ram). Try swapping ram for different one.

I'm using Kingston 2Gb CF card (233x i guess ) and I have nasty problem - I cannot copy banks into internal memory, and I cannot load Messiah bank after erasestick procedure. I can delete Messiah bank in 'panic mode' and it loads Amber piano, but I cannot write anything to 000 bank, in fact I cannot write anything on any bank - its just forever importing... So I suspect I either CF card not 100% compatible, or USB problems.

Hello,
I am German, I hope you can understand my english.
You wrote long time ago that you have a full version of B4 working on your V-Machine.

Please, would you be so kind to send me your wizardfile via email?
I'd be very grateful.. many thanks

With all timeout errors I've seen it's always been the USB cable (low to mid quality usb cable), or a faulty plugin (and/or settings of) that was loaded in.

Still use mine live from time to time, it has it's uses. I like it for sample playback, mellotron plugs, etc.

Tom Volante wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:33 pm Has anyone replaced the Noisy fan of the v machine ?
Yes...a bit too lat maybe...https://youtu.be/CtJdSPJBdBw

gmeredith wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 pm No, that's not what he was referring to - he was talking about the slowness of uploading VST banks and samples to the internal drive using the VFX software, with a direct USB connection to the computer - as compared to exporting the banks to USB stick and then importing them into the machine, which is much faster. The internal CF/SSD drive is still a faster drive for reading and playing the samples.

Just took my new V machine to band practice last night for the first time, to see how it would perform in a "real" situation. We had it doing all the drum machine parts, the bass, a solo synth, a string pad synth and a sampler - everything we had previously used 4 separate pieces of gear to do. It was great! Didn't even flinch, handled everything true and perfect. We now have 6 rack units of 80's synths, samplers and drum modules that have just been made redundant by something that fits in your pocket. Truly amazing. I'm going to buy another one! Anyone want to buy 6 rack units of 80's synth gear? :lol:
Yeah, that is correct! Just remember to export WITH PLUGINS and REPLACE EXISTING PLUGINS when SYNCing VFX to the USB stick, else for example newly added samples in Samplelord won't play when importing them on the V-machine. If you, like me, have a 4Gb sample library it may take some hours, but syncing directly to the V-machine will take forever.

Returning to VFX after a long absence, I find Soundflower no longer lets me get audio into the app - or rather I can't re-map ins and outs because Soundflowerbed won't load on my Mac. I've tried Loopback and Audio Hijack but I can't find a configuration that works; on the rare occasions when I have been able to get sound in, the VFX output is routed back into the input, with predictable results. If I load a vsti (eg. a drum machine) it runs fine and plays happily away through the built-in output, but I can't get audio into the damn thing anymore and so am unable to create effects banks that I can then load onto the V-Machine. Any help would be very welcome!

All sounds in this video from V-Machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHuNHO0ngI
This inspired me to pick one up for just over $100 - as the Youtuber mentions, if you resign to accepting the v-machine for what it is and treat it like an old windows XP machine, you'll get along just fine with it.

Planning on using mine alongside a digitakt to host sq8l,fm8, synth1, Mono/Fury and maybe a handful of others. Can't wait!

In the video Rephazer mentions MJ Roto delay is a great one to use, does anyone have any other suggestions for reverb/delays that work well on v-machine?

Hi all, I recently purchased a SM-PRO V-Machine and have managed to get sq8l, and mono/fury running fine on it. I'd really like to get Fm8 working as well as I have seen that it is possible, but for some reason every time I sync the presets from the VFX application to the V-Machine and load it, the patch is shown as "0:<disabled>"

I have made sure that in VFX the instace of FM8 that is loaded has the 'PC' button enabled and I can browse FM8's patches fine in VFX, but no dice once I try sync that to the V-Machine.

Probably a shot in the dark given the V-Machine is abandonware these days but Any tips / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”