V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nope, not powerful enough CPU.

dbl-post
Last edited by jojoB3 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi guys! I am new to the V-Machine. I had a need for a hardware VST box for basic keyboard stuff, because I didn't want to use my laptop & DAW/host when performing live with a group. I know that SM Pro got bought out by Harman and basically "dumped" their product line, but on the good side, I was able to get one of these boxes new through Gearstation for only $147 (...can't pass THAT up...).

I've had no problems so far with set-up and use of the V. I see the SM Pro Audio website is still up, and I was able to download manuals, and the latest version of the VXF software, and with that, was able to upgrade my box to the newest version of the firmware (no problem there).

I was however disappointed that even though my box says Version 2, the plugins from the New updated Sound Library (SonicProjects OBX, 4Front, Electrostudio, Superwave P8) were not pre-installed on the box. Problem is: the links on the SM Pro website to download the 1) New/updated Factory Library and the 2) Classic Keys Collection all lead to disabled pages when you click on them.

Simple question: does anyone have these additional VST plugin packages either downloaded prior from the SM Pro site or on CD that came with the machine? I would love to obtain them, even for a small fee, and ultimately cheaper than having to seek out and pay for these individually directly from the mftr's of them.
Chuck :violin:
All the world's a stage, …and everything's basically frequencies in one way or another. ~Nicolas Tesla Rachmaninoff~
Pieces of my brain keep falling out. No problem, I just keep picking them up and putting them back in.

I just got a 2nd hand one, it has the old OS and some instruments installed. The problem is, I can't seem to export the VSTs to USB stick - it recognises it but when I click Export it says "Not Enough Space!". It's 8GB and newly formatted so this can't be the case. I also can't export using VFX on Windows, as it says the VM's OS is outdated and won't work with the new version. So I am kind of stuck - anyone know a way out? I just want to export everything to keepo it safe, then update the OS, then reload all the plugins I want to use, including Elektrostudio if I can find it. Which brings me to...

...I have the same problem as Chuck, I need the file "new_factory_library.zip" which is available for free (Elektrostudio free plugins and others). However the link on the website opens dropbox and doesn't take you to the file. Anyone got it on a mirror or their dropbox?

EDIT: I tried another USB stick (4GB) and that works. Now got it updated, have installed a few new plugins. Seems to be working ok so far. I'm adding the Elektrostudio VSTi's individually without issues. I haven't figured out how to add the Rhino2 key file to VM yet, without exporting everything to USB stick and reimporting it. I still haven't quite understood the architecture of the file system but it looks like a bit of reading the FM and i'll get there. If anyone has any helpful tips please post them here!

Cheers

I've had my v machines (3 of them!) for a few years now, but just recently have loaded up and used the Kirnu arpeggiator plugin in my v machine. It works fine as a standalone setup; I can change the tempo of the arp and the synth plugin it triggers by changing the v machine internal master tempo. I would like it to be controlled externally though, so that it locks to the tempo of my MMT8 MIDI sequencer, which is also running drum machines and other tempo locked devices. I don't see a way to get it to sense and lock to an external MIDI clock anywhere in the v machine VST software.

Is this possible?

Cheers, graham

gmeredith wrote:I don't see a way to get it to sense and lock to an external MIDI clock anywhere in the v machine VST software.

Is this possible?
Not that I am aware of. The only possibility would be if the VST plugin would check for "real" MIDI clock messages instead of the host's (i.e. the V-Machine's) time info. But AFAIK most plugins don't do that.

Cheers Björn

You can learn tempo to midi cc. The problem is there's not enough resolution, so it skips odd numbers (60, 62, 64, 68, etc.).

I didn't read all 171 pages through to find that specific info - what's the difference between older version and "New V2.0" ?

Thanks.

Hi,
I'm new here, so maybe my question is already answered somewere on this forum, so I apoligise in advance if that's the case!

My question, or problem:
I just purchased a Vmachine, but I haven't been able to get sound of it yet.

Both headphone out and the two jacks left/right out don't yield anything.

I was told that the already installed Sountank should work right out of the box.

And I installed the VMbundle.

The display shows all of that, so I assume the Vmachine does recognize the lot.

But, as said, no sound from the outputs.

Anybody have a tip for me?
Thankx in advance

I get the impression that the Vmachine doesn't recognize my midi keyboard.

I was told that the display should show two light strips when receiving midi from the keyboard, or that the little light near the top left of the display should work. Is this true?

As it is, neither is the case, both with standard midi cable nor with usb midi cable.

What should I do to make the Vmachine receive midi from my keyboard?

Thanx

Hi all. I realize this is an old topic, an old, outdated, underpowered, unsupported machine... but... I have one, and it works pretty well for some old 32-bit freeware, and I would love to run VB3 on it in a live setting as I could really use an upgrade in the organ sounds department...

BUT... I have the "no valid certificate" problem, so I cannot license anything to the machine at all. And I know that SM is dead, gone, sold to Harman, no support, no nothing. I did find the helpful page at http://bahmi.com/vmachine/ which is great for everything it does but there is no help there for the certificate issue (or the Bad License, which is what my machine used to say before I tried a firmware update and it evolved to No valid certificate).

Is there any hope? Has anyone figured this out? If the certificate file is just a text file, and whatever magic it must contain to enable licensing relates to the serial number or some other such identifier... maybe someone very clever with a working version could reverse-engineer it somehow?

I guess I'm just an optimist at heart ;)
tobias tinker
sonic adventures and experiments at:
tobiastinker.com
----
music is easy; just start with complete silence and take away the parts you don't like!

It's all in the manual as far as I know.. Install VFX software and make sure the V-Machine is connected to your computer via USB, Install Plugin that needs registration/license and follow the registration process. It will ask you to license the plugin on the V-Machine if needed. You can also manually license plugins by loading a plugin in a slot and right-click on the plugin (License or Unlicense Plugin) after that either sync or export the stuff and go.

Good luck.

rephazer wrote:It's all in the manual as far as I know.. Install VFX software and make sure the V-Machine is connected to your computer via USB, Install Plugin that needs registration/license and follow the registration process. It will ask you to license the plugin on the V-Machine if needed. You can also manually license plugins by loading a plugin in a slot and right-click on the plugin (License or Unlicense Plugin) after that either sync or export the stuff and go.

Good luck.
Well, thanks, but in fact it's really not that simple... I truly wish it were! Unfortunately I know all that and have taken all those steps, but some of us have units that simply will not accept the licensing process... right now if I follow those steps the VFX software tells me that the V-Machine I have connected has 'no valid certificate - contact support' and will go no further. Previously, I was able to complete the licensing procedure and it would *say* it was licensed to the machine, but if I tried to load the plugin on the unit it would simply say 'Bad License'. Either way, it has never worked and trust me, I've tried pretty much everything.

If you haven't seen this, congratulations, you're one of the lucky ones, but if you have, you understand. Supposedly back when SM Pro existed as a company their support team would, if you were lucky and they replied to you at all, send a replacement certificate file which would, ideally, then allow the licensing process to proceed. But now that they're gone... for those of us stuck with a machine with an invalid certificate... it's a bit crappy. So I'm just asking if anyone knows of a solution...
tobias tinker
tobiastinker.com
----
music is easy; just start with complete silence and take away the parts you don't like!

So what did you do/changed if it used to work? Have you tried the erase stick method to get back to factory defaults?

Now that I think of it.. I think I did have the 'bad certificate' problem once when I tried running a usb stick on a unit that was made on/for a different V-Machine.. Any chance you had a different V-Machine before and tried running 'old files' on your current unit? Perhaps a reinstall (or an install on a different computer) of VFX helps?

I had around 4 V-Machines in total now (selling it/buying one back) and had some problems every once in a while, but I think it's solvable with the Erase Stick method.

Anyway, If you need the files 'Erase stick' files I can make you a dropbox link.
Last edited by rephazer on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It has never worked for anything but freeware. I used to be able to license plugins but they wouldn't work, the unit would say Bad License if I tried to load them, though the licenses were perfectly legal and valid. I heard years ago that SM support would send you a fix for this if you contacted them and I always intended to, but it fell through the cracks like so many things in life. So in my most recent bout of trying to get it to work I tried to update the firmware, hoping that might get it sorted, but it didn't, it just changed the nature of the non-functionality so that now it won't even let me create the license in VFX, saying the machine does not have a valid certificate.

I think I tried the Erase stick method years ago and have the file around here somewhere but if I can't find it I may ping you to set up a dropbox for it, can't hurt to give it a whirl, thanks for reminding me about that.

Meanwhile I've managed to create a little setup combining a couple of different freeware things to create, I think, a half-decent organ sound! Better than many I've heard anyway. But not better than VB3 which is what I'd ideally like to have running!
tobias tinker
tobiastinker.com
----

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”