Wind versus ocean waves

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I understand how to use noise and key tracking and arpeggios/lfos. But I'm curious if other than the rhythmic quality of ocean waves does anyone do anything different for wind as opposed to waves?

Wind can have resonance depending on what it may be passing through (for example, look up wind resonance through trees, as well as harmonic sculptures), and the gusts are more chaotic. Also depends if you're modelling microphone wind noise and/or want the wind sound a human ear would hear.

Wind probably modulates faster than waves, and with more variation in speed. Waves might be more regular with speed, but both will vary in depth of modulation and with amplitude variation.

I’d say waves sound ‘thicker’, and probably benefit from stacking of sounds, where wind can sometimes sound a lot thinner.

Thanks. I'm thinking a forest wind would need to be stretched out (without lowering the freq) as compared to the sound of river rapids. And ocean waves would have a lower pitch. Desert wind would be thinner. Maybe with long reverb.

reverb suggests some sort of surface to reverberate against to then refelect.
deserts by and large lack any reflective surface.

I suppose but you would want that sense of a large open space.

Return to “Sound Design”