Ghost of the mp3

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I was trying to use a technique Ryan Maguire used to create what he called the ghost of the mp3:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5997/b ... 876cad.pdf (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5997/b358206f894f3a1571e1c4a8af68f9876cad.pdf)

Basically you can take a loseless audio file and subtract (phase invert) the compressed file (mp3) render that to a new file and your left with the frequencies that usually get lost during compression.
There are two methods he used to achieve this:

1.Take a wav and a mp3 (same file), phase invert the mp3 and render to a new file.
2. And "zero the corresponding bins in the original uncompressed file where the difference is null or near-null, i.e.- using the MP3 as a mask on the original file".

The First method is very easy to recreate with any daw, but I want to try the second one for different sonical results. But I have absolutely no idea how to achieve this and almost no coding experience at all (except visual programming).
He mentioned python and some libs for that, but sadly I have no details of that process
Anyone got an idea?

you should watch out for delay
this probably strongly depends on the mp3 encoder, but i have noticed that many times the stuff i encode to mp3 get some delay added before the start
so if you expect them to "null-out" with the input - they won't even if they were sonically perfect

as for the second method, it smells like instructions for FFT (i haven't read the pdf)
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

LoHI by Goodhertz seems like it can do things like this. It does more than mp3 imitations, I’m pretty sure it has a setting to only pass on the residue of its pseudo-mp3 imitation. Whatever it’s doing I can tell you it can easily sound ghostly on some settings

@antto you're right they have to perfectly align. but that's no so hard to accomplish, but the results are not as interesting as i hoped.
but i think the second method might produce a more echoy ghostly sound.
@andrewbrewer
Do you mean Lossy? Thank you for the hint. I'm gonna try that, I've also noticed that specops by unfiltered audio seems to have a mp3fiy setting.

But I'm still really interested in the 2nd process, and yes it's some kind of fft method but with coding in python :I

Edit: O wow, Lossy has a preset called "ghost in the mp3" I think it's not exactly the same as the fft method but sounds kinda similar.

crackinkid wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:39 pm @andrewbrewer
Do you mean Lossy?
Oops! Yes Lossy! SpecOps is also great and just flat out cool and over the top with features.

Return to “Sound Design”