Martin Garrix - Virus sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, how do I create a sound like Martin used in Virus at 0:13 and various other parts of the song?
Thanks

https://youtu.be/iXIDtf1wP0g

Hey,

First of all, you don't mean the main lead sound, but the effect that comes at the and of the "melody" right?

To make the effect sound you need to create a plug, with to my opinion a little pitch shift from negative to zero at the beginning of the pluck. ( so automate it ). Than there is a shit load of reverb on it, some chorus with low rate and set the attack to like about 55ms or something like that. You can try a saw wave, that will bring you pretty close.

If you want I could try and make you a preset for serum. But than someone has to help me out how I can share the preset properly.

Let me know

Greats

Tried to re-create the sound with Sylenth1, but the "flavor" doesn't sound like one in this song.
https://srv-file7.gofile.io/download/SZ ... -virus.mp3

Do this
Capture1.PNG
Mix: All the way left (only osc 1) which is a saw
I put pitch all the way up (24) but you could simply play a higher note on your keyboard

Volume:
Attack at around 30 so you take away the clicky attack
Sustain all the way up and a little release

Filter Amount = 0 so the Attack Decay, Sustain, Release don't matter
Cut off at 100 and filter 24LP

Unison I have it set to 2 but play around to get what you like. Spread full and detune around 35

Here's what gives it it's texture: LFO
affecting osc1 & 2 (cant select only 1)
Click on tempo, Speed full and amount to 3

Capture2.PNG
The automation starts half way through the 2nd note and goes down 2 semitones
Capture3.PNG
Whatever reverb you use is fine but I used default FL studio's and add an OTT which compresses the sound and "ducks" the reverb while the note is playing but then boosts it when the note is over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

My advice iz..try ta get into tha habit of creatin' ya own sounds. Dats wha-ya-gosta do man.
Ya dont wanna sound like others. Wha-iz fashionable todayz wont be tommorowz, you dig?
Shit, dat's the whole freakin' point. You feelin'?

Kinh wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:46 pm My advice iz..try ta get into tha habit of creatin' ya own sounds. Dats wha-ya-gosta do man.
Ya dont wanna sound like others. Wha-iz fashionable todayz wont be tommorowz, you dig?
Shit, dat's the whole freakin' point. You feelin'?
you ok man? should we send paramedics?
face
arm
speech
telephone..

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:50 pm
you ok man? should we send paramedics?
face
arm
speech
telephone..

:hihi:

very cool,seriously

It's just portamento over a large range of notes that give that sound. The sound itself is not that special or unique. You just set the portamento very high and play two notes far away from each other.

currentsound wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:46 pm It's just portamento over a large range of notes that give that sound. The sound itself is not that special or unique. You just set the portamento very high and play two notes far away from each other.
Just no

it was about the tambe.
and the portamento in only in part of the note

CHOOS wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:32 pm
currentsound wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:46 pm It's just portamento over a large range of notes that give that sound. The sound itself is not that special or unique. You just set the portamento very high and play two notes far away from each other.
Just no

it was about the tambe.
and the portamento in only in part of the note
The patch itself has very little to do with 'the sound'. It's more about the portamento. The sound itself is very generic and common. Most cheap Trance leads sound like this. You might be confusing it with the main trance pluck sound. He's talking about the bendy note in the background that comes in and out.

[quote=currentsoundThe patch itself has very little to do with 'the sound'. It's more about the portamento. The sound itself is very generic and common. Most cheap Trance leads sound like this. You might be confusing it with the main trance pluck sound. He's talking about the bendy note in the background that comes in and out.
[/quote]

Sorry dude but it has everything to do with it.
the reason one sound is different from another = the difference.

The LFO added to it or unison for that matter change a lot

how you post-process it changes it a lot

the portamento in the 2nd note and NOT in the first make a big difference

without any of these differences and just a simple saw wave even with the portamento PROPERLY applied will sound really different.

The question was about how to make that sound from the Virus song.

If you do it like show it will sound very close to the original
if not... then not.

Not trying to be a dick here by the way. I'm helping someone achieve a specific sound. That's the goal of this thread.
it's subtle differences sometimes that makes/brakes a sound.

Return to “Sound Design”