How to take sound samples and modify/tweak/synthesize them into something completely different?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've read about Spectrasonics and how they made the sounds for their CDs/sound libraries (Distorted Reality, Bizzare Guitar, Atmosphere,etc).

I tried using the demo version of Zebrify ( comes with Zebra 2 demo and allows you to apply Zebra 2's filters/effects any of the channels in a DAW), but it seems to be a bit limited and I kind of get the feeling it's not really suited for what I'm asking for. Do you what would be the best software to use for this?

I have FL Studio 20, but please- let me know if there are certain features of the software I'm neglecting, and if so, let me know whether or not it's completely necessary to buy additional plugins/software is FL Studio good enough on its own?? (...to modify preexisting sound samples, in a similar way to how Spectrasonics did it)

Anytime you apply an effect (of any kind), with extreme settings there's the possibility to transform a sample into something that sounds entirely different. So... extreme distortion, extreme reverb, extreme filtering, etc. etc. etc. A few other examples:

- Granular re-synthesis - Various softsynths (Absynth, Falcon, Halion) can do this, as well as some Reaktor ensembles.
- Spectral re-synthesis - Again, various softsynths (Harmor, Falcon, etc.)
- Basic sample manipulation - Chop up and rearrange a sample, reverse it, resample it (change its sample rate, which affects its pitch and speed simultaneously), time-stretch/pitch-shift
A well-behaved signature.

Fruity Granulizer comes to mind. Not crazy powerful but It might Get the results you're looking for without you paying a cent.
Harmor can do some of that Fun stuff but Of course You have to Pay for Harmor (Unless you already Own it in that case Knock yourself out)

I really like UVI Falcon for anything to do with audio morphing BUT Its a Very Expensive and Dare I say Intimidating Program. But you can just Mess the Hell out of Audio with Falcon if you learn to Control it a bit.

Absynth5 is very Nice but do keep in Mind its Highly likely to Never be Updated again, Unfortunately.

Avenger also Does Granular (and...everything else) and Its on sale for 111$ RN.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Byome, SpecOps & Triad, Looperator and Turnado can do some extreme sample mangling. But, as already mentioned, any effect at extreme settings will change your samples significantly.

- PSOLA (formant? resynthesis) - NI Form, Rayblaster. This one is rare but very effective, as operates on speech audio pieces which are meaningful to human ear.
- Audio waveshaping (phase modulation?) - NI Skanner XT does that
- Resonator effects , such as Ableton Corpus / NI Prism
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Sound Design”