Genre and sound design

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think is the genre where sound design is important?
I mean designing synth from scratch, for example. In these days where presets and samples are so good in quality, I'm just wondering.

Your unique genre. There are endless variations of junk music made from same sound packs, and when you're using packs for your music it just becomes another junk tune that no one cares about who made it, because it all sounds the same.

i suppose "ambient"
as the sound design is the track, no melody, no rhythm just timbre and motion, live sound designing so to speak?

but as said above, any really if you want what you are doing to be unique. yeah use some basic sounds for the bulk of a work, but i personally would be looking to at least do pads and lead myself for example, using presets for the rest :shrug:

Anything experimental or ambient I suppose ... but there's more to sound design than synths. Some people like to make music with found sounds they record themselves for example. Effects sound design is important too.

So it is ambient.. What about drum n bass? And do you think processing or tweaking presets/samples to the point it sounding different can be called sound design?

roman.i wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 pm Your unique genre. There are endless variations of junk music made from same sound packs, and when you're using packs for your music it just becomes another junk tune that no one cares about who made it, because it all sounds the same.
There are gazillions of people who are obviously enjoying similar sounding 'junk' tunes all day long and care more about who made it rather than how those tracks had been made.
Once we're at it ... I'd really love to see what would happen to the market if music would be presented/sold as just that - plain, anonymous acoustic vibes - without any personality BS, fancy videos, etc...
(I still don't know anything about who performed some of my alltime favorite tracks and somehow couldn't care less - YMMV).

What do you think is the genre where sound design is important?
Psytrance, dubstep, electro. You want to get wildest, unheard sounds that will also shake the dancefloor.
I'd really love to see what would happen to the market if music would be presented/sold as just that - plain, anonymous acoustic vibes - without any personality BS, fancy videos, etc
Market would collapse, as very few people are actually melomaniacs, the majority just wants to know the story of their fan, or watch shaking booties in the video.
There are gazillions of people who are obviously enjoying similar sounding 'junk' tunes all day long and care more about who made it rather than how those tracks had been made.
This. A circle of "sound designers" is very narrow and mostly just covers some KVR nerds :hihi: When on the radio, no one gives a **** if a track was made with state-of-art synths or just drunk cat playing with a rompler.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

every sound in a track is important to me, doesnt matter what genre it is (I very rarely put a label on it anyway)

eluherlu wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:19 am So it is ambient.. What about drum n bass? And do you think processing or tweaking presets/samples to the point it sounding different can be called sound design?
Sound design is very important in Neurofunk Drum and Bass. Most of the sound design starts with the creation of a reese bass, you could get away with using samples for the drums but you would need to design the bass from scratch in order to make the variations.
There's also the evolving pads, which could be from samples but work alot better as automated synths.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Return to “Sound Design”