Need recommendations for book(s) that`s all about sound synthesis

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right now I have lots of spare time on my job and I want to learn sound synthesis as much as possible. I know some super basic things but can`t make a sound from the scratch so I usually start every new sound with finding a similar preset and edit it. I want somewhat to fix it :P
So I`d like to get a book or several that would teach me most of it. Thanks in advance!

How To Make a Noise is a good place to start ... https://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make- ... ogramming/

Thanks! :)

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 pm How To Make a Noise is a good place to start ... https://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make- ... ogramming/
Yes, all Simon's collection is excellent. A bit dated now because the synth plugins he used as demos of the principles, but all the collection remains excellent.

An advice for those who don't know : he still sends by email (and for free, always) the files which came with the book. Simon is very kind.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I have other suggestions, as excellent alternatives (or as excellent complements):

Free:

Music and Computers, from Phil Burk & Larry Polansky & Douglas Repetto & Mary Roberts & Dan Rockmore (it is the authors' website, they now distributes this ebook for free as PDF file on this page)

Advanced programming techniques for modular synthesizers, from James Clark (this one, based on the Nord Modular, is also a very good free PDF ebook to learn in depth the synthesis for any hard or soft synth)

Programming Analogue Synths, from Howard Scarr (this one, based on the Access Virus, is again a very good free PDF ebook to learn in depth the synthesis for any hard or soft synth)

Not free (but amazing for the price !)

The Synthesizer - A comprehensive guide to understanding, programming, playing, and recording the ultimate electronic music instrument
From Mark Vail
In paperback and in Kindle ebook

Analog Synthesizers: Understanding, Performing, Buying--From the Legacy of Moog to Software Synthesis
From Mark Jenkins
The new edition (July 2019) in paperback and in Kindle ebook

Creating Sounds from Scratch - A Practical Guide to Music Synthesis for Producers and Composers
From Andrea Pejrolo & Scott B. Metcalfe

Sound synthesis and sampling
From Martin Russ

Refining sound - A practical guide to synthesis and synthesizers
From Brian K. Shepard

A few years ago there was also a very good book made by Rob Papen himself, and which came with several DVDs to watch in parallel of the pages for the lessons. I have it also... but it is now discontinued. But a new edition is planned (but I don't know for when).

A last one for free (and to read absolutely !)

I can't finish without this AWESOME free source :
Synth Secrets Complete
A 340 pages PDF file ! It is the totality of the course published for free by SoundOnSound along the years.

I have all these ebooks above (including all those from Simon Cann who wrote the book which mentioned by thecontrolcentre, and including also the book from Rob Papen). And I can tell you that they all are awesome to learn the synthesis !
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Noted! Thanks a lot!

A book? You need to hear what's the sound you're making, I suggest you to get one of the popular synths and get video courses on that specific synth, first learn about every knob/feature and then learn how to make specific sounds.

thank you for the input

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:15 am Programming Analogue Synths, from Howard Scarr (this one, based on the Access Virus, is again a very good free PDF ebook to learn in depth the synthesis for any hard or soft synth)
I wanted to recommend that one too. I'm sure it's great. Although I never read it. :scared:

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:15 am Programming Analogue Synths, from Howard Scarr (this one, based on the Access Virus, is again a very good free PDF ebook to learn in depth the synthesis for any hard or soft synth)
I wanted to recommend that one too. I'm sure it's great. Although I never read it. :scared:
:D :D

So I`ve got already 4 books
Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Martin Russ)
How To Make a Noise
Synth Secrets Complete
Programming Analogue Synths

the only thing left is to decide in which order should I read`em :ud:
or maybe some of them might be too similar to each other

anti_phase wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 pm
:D :D

So I`ve got already 4 books
Sound Synthesis and Sampling (Martin Russ)
How To Make a Noise
Synth Secrets Complete
Programming Analogue Synths

the only thing left is to decide in which order should I read`em :ud:
or maybe some of them might be too similar to each other
For that... hard to say, because it depends several things as:
  • how each one of us feels good or less good with the writing style of an author,
  • the level of understanding of each one of us on each aspect of the synthesis techniques,
  • the need or not for each one of us of pictures for some aspects of the techniques,
  • the personal knowledge in mathematics or electronics, making that some of us will prefer books with very deep explanations with graphics of physics, maths, etc. while others will prefer books without these deep academic aspects.
  • the personal need to make experiments suggested by an author on some techniques or aspects of the synthesis techniques,
  • etc.
What is important as first step... is to be driven to really excellent books and above all not to humdrum books. Having myself read all those I mentioned (and many others, I am a great reader, and I love learning, and I myself have taught but in a completely different field than music) I was hence sure to advise the best ones that I know. After... the rest is how each one of us feels personally at ease with this book or that one among them.
:)

But I can finish with another good advice : whether you start only one or several books in parallel, it is strongly recommended to go very seriously on to the end of each book started. It is a guarantee of success.
:tu:

thanks!

You're welcome !
:)

I’d recommend the Synthesizer Cookbook. It shows you how to make some nice sounding patches, mainly brass, woodwinds, strings, and band instruments.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

What sort of music/sounds do you like? That would be a good way to recommend you something that you'd benefit from the most.

but I personally like How To Make A Noise by Simon Cann

Return to “Sound Design”