Help for 7th Grade Science Fair Project - How to Generate Sound Waves

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ScienceFairMom wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 amHe did succeed in blowing out a smaller fire by funneling the sound waves down...at any frequency
I am so unsurprised that our genius blog posts result in an excess of success!
:clap:
However, it's probably best to tell your son's teacher that it "isn't proving the hypothesis" and get her expert advice on ways you can use The Scientific Method to solve your problem of blowing out too.many.fires.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:55 pm
ScienceFairMom wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 amHe did succeed in blowing out a smaller fire by funneling the sound waves down...at any frequency
However, it's probably best to tell your son's teacher that it "isn't proving the hypothesis" and get her expert advice on ways you can use The Scientific Method to solve your problem of blowing out too.many.fires.
I am not sure what causes your slightly nasty and condescending tone but... the professor from George Mason responded to my son's email (I allowed him to email a professor directly) and they are now in correspondence... the two engineers in the video are also now in touch with him and very kindly explaining and providing advice. The physics involved at low frequencies has to do with the vacuum created by the waves... my son only succeeded in the obvious high frequency, high volume blowing out the fire by the waves (which was still cool to be honest) ... he either can give up and say "I couldn't prove my hypothesis" or he can try a few more times to fine tune his experiment setup with help from kind experts. Thanks all! Sine-ing out...

ScienceFairMom wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm
Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:55 pm
I am not sure what causes your slightly nasty and condescending tone but... the professor from George Mason responded to my son's email (I allowed him to email a professor directly) and they are now in correspondence... the two engineers in the video are also now in touch with him and very kindly explaining and providing advice. The physics involved at low frequencies has to do with the vacuum created by the waves... my son only succeeded in the obvious high frequency, high volume blowing out the fire by the waves (which was still cool to be honest) ... he either can give up and say "I couldn't prove my hypothesis" or he can try a few more times to fine tune his experiment setup with help from kind experts. Thanks all! Sine-ing out...
im glad your son is getting better help.
wish i could have aided more, but im an artist not a brain :)

pretty sure with the professor and engineers from the video your son will ace it :tu:

@vurt, yes i agree

@TigerMom, I was being playful, recognising that your son expected to only blow out fires with low frequencies but was actually succeeding at all frequencies!
I call that an "excess of success!" :party:

And calling ourselves "blog-post geniuses" was a joke! :lol:

It's nice you can network your son to email the engineers of the original device to explain the science, but he'd learn more if he asked his teacher how to use the scientific method to design his own experiments.

In this Forum we often discuss a similar topic: Presets or Roll-your-own?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:58 pm @vurt, yes i agree

@TigerMom, I was being playful, recognising that your son expected to only blow out fires with low frequencies but was actually succeeding at all frequencies!
I call that an "excess of success!" :party:

And calling ourselves "blog-post geniuses" was a joke! :lol:

It's nice you can network your son to email the engineers of the original device to explain the science, but he'd learn more if he asked his teacher how to use the scientific method to design his own experiments.

In this Forum we often discuss a similar topic: Presets or Roll-your-own?
@rudedude You make a lot of assumptions and throw insults easily without having a clue about the people you are insulting.

If we must know your family better than you before we make any critical or funny observations, we might as well say nothing!
:zzz:
Thus, we can either say things that are generally helpful (being a public forum), or try to read between the lines of what you write:
ScienceFairMom wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 amcan't believe we didn't think of that for him!
I stand by my general comment from the beginning that it's better that young people think for themselves -- partly because they engage more deeply with the phenomena, and partly because they might actually discover something new! :o

Our 'artistic' insights and offbeat humour are some of the benefits you gain from posting on a Sound Design forum, rather than on an engineering or a 'science-fair-parent' forum (where experts generally agree on a hands-off approach) :D

Apropos of nothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkzPBm-WznU
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:34 am If we must know your family better than you before we make any critical or funny observations, we might as well say nothing!
:zzz:
Thus, we can either say things that are generally helpful (being a public forum), or try to read between the lines of what you write:
ScienceFairMom wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 amcan't believe we didn't think of that for him!
I stand by my general comment from the beginning that it's better that young people think for themselves -- partly because they engage more deeply with the phenomena, and partly because they might actually discover something new! :o

Our 'artistic' insights and offbeat humour are some of the benefits you gain from posting on a Sound Design forum, rather than on an engineering or a 'science-fair-parent' forum (where experts generally agree on a hands-off approach) :D

Apropos of nothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkzPBm-WznU
Once again self-inflated arrogance!
You have missed the point but can have whatever opinion makes you feel superior...

ad hominem
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Sound Design”