How to make this trentemoller bass sound?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

i'm trying to make a bass sound that producers like Trentemoller and Lulu Rouge use a lot but I'm stuck. I'm talking about the gnarly 'knarz' sound that starts e.g. in this track around 2:43 and he keeps playing around with it.

I think the basis is a saw wave and I tried in Sylenth1 and Diva to reproduce it but I'm stuck. I wonder if it actually is a sample that he heavily edits rather than a synthesised sound.

Anyone has any ideas?

Following

Sounds like it has additional sub osc with square wave.

Try a mix of saw+square(sub octave) and add Filter FM.
Last edited by hoshigoshi on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

To me, it sounds like electric bass guitar (or a sampled bass) that's been heavily compressed and had all the treble and mids filtered away. All higher frequencies seem to be coming from other instruments. There's several layers happening at once here.

Also, the very first few low notes of the recording sound similar to a percussive Hammond organ voice that's been sampled and transposed down a few octaves, making it a bass sound. I don't think that's the bass sound you're referring to though. It can be heard in other places too, but it's more of a softer background element.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

There is an interview with Trentemoller in Future Music magazine (June 2017) where he tells that he used «Virus over the top to bring in another element» in that track.

Hoshihoshi pretty much nailed it, just needs some HP on it for win.

Hi all, sorry for the late reply - I'm new to the forum and not familiar with how it works, so the entire time was waiting for an email notification about replies, which I didn't get so I thought that no one had replied. Just found all the replies only now...

Anyway, thanks a lot for all these ideas! Really helpful, I'm playing with the low-octave square and that really helps with generating the 'percussive' texture of the sound that makes it sound so crisp. Using a highly processed recorded sample is also a good idea, I also experimented with transposing a recorded bass and looping a tiny snippet of the sample, and the transients also created some of the harsh texture I'm after, but not all the way. Will experiment with it more over the coming days, just wanted to say thanks already for the help, much appreciated!

Return to “Sound Design”