How is this kick made?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having trouble making a kick that punches well in all of the frequency spectrum, ive got the low end, punch and click down but there's just something missing from the mids that i cant quite figure out what.

This is the sort of kick im aiming for, a vini vici commerical psytrance kick which is heard clearly at 4:40 in this track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_YBIeU7VSU

Ive tried layering closed hats and snares with my kick but cant get on the right path. I think its a low cut snare but im not sure.

Any ideas??

Thanks

I'm not that much into drummies, but could be a 909 kick with a bit of post processing.
https://youtu.be/LKiWt8IcMmM
A formant is a preferred resonating frequency of any acoustical system.

OK listen to the 2 kicks in the zip.
1st is the original.
2nd I made in Sytrus with zero post-processing
Kicks.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

FM tends to be nice for drum sounds and I tend to do my drum sounds with synths as well, but that's a rather non typical behaviour.
A formant is a preferred resonating frequency of any acoustical system.

Butcrush it and mix the two versions to taste.

sorry I forgot to add the sytrus preset.
let me know if you're interested in it at all. Or a WAV version of it etc?

Layering, layering, layering, some little compression, some EQ and bob is your kickdrum. With a FM synth like FM8 or probably Sytrus (like CHOOS did) you can essentially layer within one synth, since each operator can give you a kick. Only thing you need to keep an eye out of is phase cancellation when you layer.

My opinion about layering kicks is its unnecessary unless your talking about the attack.
you don't need a mid and a low kick when you cab use a vst like sytrus to create EXACTLY what you want from a kick. There's other kick vsts out there that do the same (sonic academy KICK)

Everyone has their own way. Even though Kick2 calls it’s 3 layers ‘attack 1-3’it’s often used to layer full kicks. Many in the harder styles use FM where each operator is essentially a layer. Yes, it’s possible to make a decent kick from just one layer. Often when wanting more thump in the chest, layering is one way to give you the results you need. Ask 5 people how to make a kick and you get 6 answers.

JoaquinAce wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm Layering, layering, layering, some little compression, some EQ and bob is your kickdrum.
i think this is definitely the best way, ive created some big kicks with about 5 layers all surgically warped into a perfect phase alignment which is very easy in ableton

But i still cant get the midrange crack / snare sound. I get really powerful sub, body and top but cant get the mids right

Sometimes you don't want perfect phase alignment, you just don't want phase cancellation.At least when I make hard dance kicks, I selectively have some areas out of alignment but with no phase cancellation.

JoaquinAce wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:26 pm Ask 5 people how to make a kick and you get 6 answers.
:tu:

JoaquinAce wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:04 pm Sometimes you don't want perfect phase alignment
for what reason would you not want a perfectly in phase kick?

Sk1nZ wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:57 pm
JoaquinAce wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:04 pm Sometimes you don't want perfect phase alignment
for what reason would you not want a perfectly in phase kick?
If you align every part of the waveform of kick 1 exactly/perfectly with the waveform of kick 2, you increase the amplitude, so your kick just becomes louder. If you use a plugin like Kick 2 from Sonic academy, you can zoom in 1000x in whatever part you select. This will illustrate my point the best... Most layered kicks have some (maybe small, but still some) part of the waveform not aligning perfectly with the second layer (or 3rd or 4th etc). This could be at the "click", sometimes its later in the waveform (body) etc, but the waveforms are not perfectly aligned. If you want to chat more about this, you can PM me and we can discuss this further over email. Edit... I went to show the waveform alignment of a layered kick in Kick 2. The image shows the zoom level in the bottom left. Kick 2 can zoom in till 5000%. Its not perfectly aligned. The sound of the kick changes depending on where these two waves align and where they don't.This illustrates my point of it not being perfectly in phase. Once you bounce this to a new wav file and you then zoom in, it wont be a perfect sinusoidal waveform, it looks more like it has small "mountain peaks" in between, but the kick still sounds full. You can see this in the bottom image, where I zoomed in on the newly bounced audio file of the layered kick.
Kick 2 layered.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Psy Kicks are done with a quick pitch envelope.
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

Return to “Sound Design”