TB-303-like with general synth and SeqCollection2

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Playing around with SeqCollection2's acid sequencer has me thinking about trying some more TB-303 kind of sounds. I don't have any specific 303 emulation plugins, though,and I'm reluctant to get so specific a synth for something I'm likely to be working with only on occasion.

Over the years, though, I have acquired a whole slew of different workstation synths that handle a bunch of different synthesis methods (the ones in Komplete 12, VPS Avenger, Rapid, Dune, Pigments, SynthMaster, Sektor, etc. - kind of overkill, and another reason I'm not eager to add in yet another synth). And since I've heard that the sequencer is a good chunk of the sound, and I've already got that in hand, it shouldn't be that hard to create something akin to that 303 sound in a powerful workstation synth, right? Well, maybe for some it isn't, but as for my attempt...

http://mvpke.com/filesandsuch/303attempt.mp3

I mean, it's got a certain... character to it, but it's also missing a lot, and I'm not sure what. So what I'm looking for is:

-Are there general synths (preferably the ones mentioned above) that would be a good choice for creating that sound and/or have useful starting points or patches?
-Any tips on what factors/settings are important for creating that kind of sound besides the obvious ones I've attempted in the sound clip

I'm not looking for something that's an absolutely perfect emulation (otherwise I probably would have just broken down and bought one of the dedicated plugins), just something that passably has that sound without seeming too off of it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I've have the D16 Phoscyon and the Audiorealism ABL3 (or ABL2) and they are both brilliant.

Have you got Sylenth by any chance? Because that has a couple of pretty-good presets out of the gate.

In general, unless you absolutely want the clean 303 sound, stick some kind of diode clipper distortion on it (actually in Sylenth, the foldback tends to work better for me for low levels of distortion). For one thing, it knocks out the whistly effect you get on the filter. The Teebee preset in Dune has triode distortion already set up.

The pitch slide on the 303 is also a bit unusual and one of the things that makes it sound different. It's a constant-time glide but I think the profile is exponential, so might take some pitch-bend trickery to nail in a specific synth.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 am Have you got Sylenth by any chance? Because that has a couple of pretty-good presets out of the gate.

In general, unless you absolutely want the clean 303 sound, stick some kind of diode clipper distortion on it (actually in Sylenth, the foldback tends to work better for me for low levels of distortion). For one thing, it knocks out the whistly effect you get on the filter. The Teebee preset in Dune has triode distortion already set up.

The pitch slide on the 303 is also a bit unusual and one of the things that makes it sound different. It's a constant-time glide but I think the profile is exponential, so might take some pitch-bend trickery to nail in a specific synth.
Thanks for the tips. I know Avenger has some good distortion options so I'll definitely play around with that, and also the Dune preset. Been listening to some more 303 tracks and I think I see what you mean about the pitch slide... maybe an envelope mod or MSEG on the pitch in the right combination, I'll give it a try and see what I come up with.

You might get more mileage out of using an external distortion effect: D16's Devastor, for example, was pretty much created to do that classic 303-through-a-Mackie-desk distortion. But a waveshaping-type saturator will give you more fine-tuning.

You could also try Bass Station vsti or Tal BassLine. Though you can have fun with almost every synth that has a nice (preferably 18db/oct) non-self-oscillating filter. 303 has a peculiar filter, though (you can read all about it in this thread), so no filter will sound exactly like that. Also, overdrive.

itanever wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 am You could also try Bass Station vsti or Tal BassLine. Though you can have fun with almost every synth that has a nice (preferably 18db/oct) non-self-oscillating filter. 303 has a peculiar filter, though (you can read all about it in this thread), so no filter will sound exactly like that. Also, overdrive.
Though the TB303 filter has 18 dB/Oct characteristics it is a 4-pole 24 dB/Oct filter (Diode Ladder). That being said...it is not easy to emulate. Not the filter and definitely not the whole machine.

Among other things there is a High Pass filter in the feedback loop. Also, the oscillator shapes are not the same over the octaves. And off course the sequencer with accent and glide is unusual. All making good emulation harder.

Anyway...sure some TB303 sounds and patterns can be emulated on other synths. But if you want it all in a plugin ABL seems to be the best way.

And then there is the often applied distortions. So many options.

Check out Acid Voice for all things TB303 (including distortions)
https://www.acidvoice.com/

Synthmaster One and Sylenth1 for alternatives,but if need nice free 303 vst check this:
http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/tb4005/

Return to “Sound Design”