Help with kick and bass

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys Iv been away from studio for a year and time is always limited due to work and young family .
I’m feeling frustrated as I’m not getting the sounds I want quick enough

Any help with the kick and bass in the following track that can be heard at the start of the track would be much appreciated. both are low and subby

https://youtu.be/lDgk8To-QIs

Some pultec style eq'ing
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

When you mix Kick and Bass one of the better ways to do it is to play a "chord" with the kick/sub and the Bass

So the kick in this song is tuned to C# (the kick-sweep ends around that frequency) and it's made with a sine wave so there's no/little upper harmonics like with an 808.
The Bass is played on A# (9 semitones higher) (7 semitones works amazingly)
It's a saw + a sine 1 octave up and low-passed
This way you could (if you wanted) mix the 2 without ducking/sidechaining. A little will help to give room for the thumpy part of the kick though.

GL
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys much appreciated :tu:

CHOOS wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:22 pm When you mix Kick and Bass one of the better ways to do it is to play a "chord" with the kick/sub and the Bass

So the kick in this song is tuned to C# (the kick-sweep ends around that frequency) and it's made with a sine wave so there's no/little upper harmonics like with an 808.
The Bass is played on A# (9 semitones higher) (7 semitones works amazingly)
It's a saw + a sine 1 octave up and low-passed
This way you could (if you wanted) mix the 2 without ducking/sidechaining. A little will help to give room for the thumpy part of the kick though.

GL
Looking forward to trying this out , thank you

no problem. Let me/us know what you come up with and if you need any help... here's the place or shoot me a PM
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Note how that Kik is poking through the mix with that clicky front. The Bass doesn't have a lot "interfering" with it. The click is higher freq so moves fast and draws our attention to the slower parts underneath. The ear can track from a 2,000Hz click to a 40Hz "oof" if the sound is well connected.

Now the trick is to avoid the rookie error of EQing lots at 60Hz and below in hope it gets huge - but all you do is make the track quiet & muddy as you hide the higher freq "hooks". You want to do minimal boosting in the fundamental but put a peak of a few db at the 1st Harmonic or overtone of bassier sounds which in effects gives the ear a bigger draw to the fundamental so we perceive that sound to be bassier in a wonderfully smooth way as the brain "made up" the extra bass!

This also leaves less wasted energy in the lows which you can use to turn up the whole piece (or even better leave space for space - dynamics).

:-)

Return to “Sound Design”