Hi everyone! New hear and I want some advice on a sub bass sound!

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want some good advice on how to make the sub bass (that also functions as the primary bass) that comes in at :30.

It kind of sounds like a normal sine sub bass, but I can't get it to sound that clean, or shake rooms quite like that! Any pro tips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0E7guz01w

ac19 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 pm I want some good advice on how to make the sub bass (that also functions as the primary bass) that comes in at :30.

It kind of sounds like a normal sine sub bass, but I can't get it to sound that clean, or shake rooms quite like that! Any pro tips?
Not a pro...

But...

Sounds like a "generic" Saw through Low pass filter (steep slope, e.g. 4-pole, 24dB/oct).

Unusual is the width. Generally Bass tends to live in the middle (often even mono). Sounds like that is done with (lowpass filtered) reverb. Which is also unusual, since bass is usually kept pretty dry.

Don't know what you mean by clean. Since it's not so tight and detailed. Or what you mean by shake the room. Since (on a neutral headphone) it's not bass heavy.

Maybe we are listening to different sounds. Or just using different listening gear.

in this case it's definitely just reverb.
Use reverb as a send. shape the sound with EQ (Low-Pass)
Maybe use some distortion after that. and maybe if you get to many harmonics use another EQ

Let me know if you get it.
If not let me know what you're not getting and I can help you out some more

GL
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

For my money you'll get a cleaner result leaving reverb out of the equation and using a synth with unison capabilities instead - osc phase reset turned off/randomised, detune and number of voices to taste.

cron wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:32 am For my money you'll get a cleaner result leaving reverb out of the equation and using a synth with unison capabilities instead - osc phase reset turned off/randomised, detune and number of voices to taste.
It's not a guess. It's reverb. I can show you with 95+% accuracy whats going on

CHOOS wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 am in this case it's definitely just reverb.
Use reverb as a send. shape the sound with EQ (Low-Pass)
Maybe use some distortion after that. and maybe if you get to many harmonics use another EQ

Let me know if you get it.
If not let me know what you're not getting and I can help you out some more

GL

Wow great response, I'll definitely try it out!

Yes, that really loose, flubby sound is most likely reverb based. The Q is simply what was used to "excite" the reverb: Kik or a Bass. Either way, you appear to hear more reverb than signal.

Also, note that the mix thins a bit to allow for the intro of that sound. The bass in the drums etc may come back later once the listener has defined the perceived size of the bass. Simple but clever mixing as clearly the mix engineer knows the role of illusion in recorded music.

:-)

Benedict wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:07 am Yes, that really loose, flubby sound is most likely reverb based. The Q is simply what was used to "excite" the reverb: Kik or a Bass. Either way, you appear to hear more reverb than signal.

Also, note that the mix thins a bit to allow for the intro of that sound. The bass in the drums etc may come back later once the listener has defined the perceived size of the bass. Simple but clever mixing as clearly the mix engineer knows the role of illusion in recorded music.

:-)
All you need to do to make room for the reverbed sound is sidechain it from the kick to get a clear kick and then the full "blast" of the reverb bass

P.S. Let me know if you got it

Return to “Sound Design”