How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks,

Here's a little tutorial on Nils Frahm's fantastic 'Says' using plugins:

https://youtu.be/QPT2AXoY7eE

Very cool - many thanks for sharing!

Liney wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 am Very cool - many thanks for sharing!
Glad you liked it :)

Thanks, some questions:

The pressed notes are C3, G3 and D#4 I guess?
Last edited by Chris-S on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For fun I re-created the Juno 60 patch on Synth1. :D

Settings:

Chris-S wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 pm Thanks, some questions:

The pressed notes are C3, G3 and D#4 I guess?
Hello. Next? Keyboard kombinacio.

The thing with "Says" is elusive. Of all of the covers on YT on any plugins or real ones, they seem to be a hit or miss, and they leave out a few things. They all seem to smother the Juno 60 sound with Chorus which should be turned off. The Delay (A+B head) of the Roland Re-201, or RE-555 is crucial in making it swing as well as the reverb, and delay+reverb is nothing that can be done to taste. No Chorus on those ones too.

I've been using TAL-UNO-LX Juno 60 plugin, and there's a combination waveform of square and sawtooth together. The ARP speed and delay times are supposed to gel, and those can't gel without miniscule and meticulous try and errors. The delays are what makes the track "swing" or the arpeggiator "swing". Dotted 8ths.

I don't know how to include print screens in my post but I'll try.
Synth TAL-UNO-LX.png
Juno 60 from TAL software. Note that the pic is deliberately showing the ARP rate settings,at the leftmost window screen, which must be set to 3.74 hz speed to align exactly with the delay settings below.
Delay RE-201.png
Roland RE-201 Delay from - lo and behold - Guitar Rig 4 (!?). Do not turn up the spring reverb too much, just a smidge.
Reverb PSP 2445.png
The DIGITAL PLATE reverb Nils Frahm is using for real. A rack mount unit. The only EMT 250 plate plugin that has comes close is this one from PSP Software, which works great. It's the one to use for the later piano melody too. I have not used ANY other reverb, since no one comes as close as this one. A very good no modulation plate reverb. Turn MOD off!! Set this one quite trebly, so that just the "ping" dotted 8ths (the Eb note at top) gets a little more reverberated than the lower notes. Works a charm for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sound Design”