Best route for getting into drum design

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've gone through most of Syntorial and some other synthesis tutorials, but I'd love some direction for how to take the next step with drum design.

I prefer to make sounds from scratch - so recently I created some drum sounds using the Modular Engine of Arturia's Spark and wired them module by module. I kept it simple, mostly based on this article (https://www.emusician.com/how-to/master ... rum-design), also some ideas from Welch's book and some other resources.

What would be a direction to go in for the next step up?
not really a martian - not really from here. tryin to learn everything I can about how humans make music.

FL20 and Live 10

Maybe explore this (excellent) free Drum synthesizer. Its (sub)architecture(s) can be emulated in (almost) any modular environment.

e-phonic - Drumatic 3 (last free version, 32-bit only)
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/drumatic-3-by-e-phonic

Thanks man! That's a really cool vst, definitely seems like exploring there would enhance my understanding. I like that it's all subtractive too, I haven't strayed much beyond subtractive at this point.

It reminds me of being a kid and taking my toys apart to see how they work/if I can put them back together again. There's a lot of useful knowledge to be gained from that kind of experience.
not really a martian - not really from here. tryin to learn everything I can about how humans make music.

FL20 and Live 10

Don´t dig too deep, Drum Design is treacherous. You can spend years on it - my opinion after years ...

But anyway - Zebra2 delivers excellent Drums/Percussions. The Comb-Filter is awesome and the rest of it anyway.
And never underestimate the power of the Sampler :D

btw: Pudie rules! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1j1_aeK6WA

I agree with GRUMP in the sense that I have spent a lot of time trying to get 'the perfect kick drum sound', but then I find that what sounds good in isolation may sound very different in the context of a track. And vice versa, a kick that sounds dull playing on the beat on its own may be perfectly adequate in the context of the track you want to use it for.

I don't consider the time I spent wasted, because I learned a lot about how to use a compressor, an EQ, etc...but ultimately I needed to say 'enough' and get on with making actual music.

Thanks for the initial link about recreating 808 & 909 sounds though, I am still fascinated by that stuff. I have found, though, that (as I think the article says) the same settings can sound different on different synths, even in the digital world. I use Absynth 5 for drum design (I think any synth where you can bend the envelope curves will do), and I spent some time recreating Kick 2 envelopes in Absynth 5, by copying across the settings of the amp and pitch envelope break points (as a learning tool). Often the results would be very different. Some of this would be due to a sine wave in Kick 2 not actually being a sine wave, but some of it just seemed to be down to different envelope responses.

Return to “Sound Design”