How to make this sound (I am 90% there, just need that final bit of advice! ) ...?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is a Moog-type saw I am trying to emulate in Vps Avenger.
I am almost there. The Moog one seems a bit cleaner, I dont know how to describe it.
At first I thought it was lacking some Chorus, but its not quite that.

I attach an audio file of the Saw preset I am trying to reproduce, and then my attempt straight afterwards.

Any tips on how to get closer ?
The audio file goes, Moogsaw, pause, my attempt, etc.

Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/user-955379286/saws-comparison
Last edited by MasterTuner on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

What DAW do you use?

I have it pretty close in FL Studio but I used the free Charlatan vst with 3 layers
1 Saws detuned but not much with a little volume envelope
2nd layer is the same patch really but played more as a pad so attack is up a little but sustain is fully open
3rd is the lowest note played again as a "bass" reinforcement in mono with a filtered saw

I'm going to bed now but if you need a hand tomorrow let me know

Do you have the chords right?
Capture.PNG

1st is from your sample 2nd is mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks. Yours is good. But did you add some Phaser / Flanger in there ?
Thanks for the tip on Detune. Maybe thats the key... I was thinking Chorus,but it does seem like detune.
(I use Reaper)
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

funny in my comment I was gonna say that I think i hear a phasey type of effect. You notice it especially around the 2k when it switches from the first chord to the 2nd but I didn't put one in.
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Phasing occurs when....well...signals run "out of phase". More precise, it occurs on a "per partial" level.

Due to phase differences, partials cancel each outer in and out. Actually resulting in a comb filter effect. Since there are usually more partials per octave in the higher octaves, the effect occurs sooner/faster in the higher frequencies. Not only are there usually less partials in the lower octaves,their amplitudes are usually higher. And the lower partials take longer to phase in and out. This means it can get pretty quite in the lower regions due to phase cancellation. Especially if the 1st partial gets cancelled out.

Any detuning will lead to phase differences. Since signals will run at different frequencies/speeds. Detuning at a fixed interval will result in a periodic phase cancellation/comb filter effect (at the rate of the difference in frequency).

Obviously, if oscillators do not restart their cycles when a note is triggerd (free running) and oscillator are not running in phase and/or are not running at the exact same frequency and/or not at a stable frequency (which is pretty common in analog gear) there will be phase issues.

Not said that phase is a problem. It adds life to a sound and each note is a bit different. Phasing can be either at a predictable fixed rate, or more erratic/random depending on the differences in phase and frequency of the oscillators/signals involved.

For stuff like tight and clean basses, avoid phase cancellation. E.g. since FM (actually moreoften Phase Modulation) needs very stable frequencies and phases it is known for it's tight basses.

Generally be careful with phase cancellation on bass (since you don't wanna be left with a bass with no bass content). A solution can be to create a amplitude (volume) difference between the oscillators, so full cancellation can not occur. Or add a separate non-detuned sine or triangle (like the Yamaha CS80 offered) to retain a (more) stable first partial. Also you can control the detuning range by using an LFO to detune just a bit, so you do get phasing, full cancellation is never achieved.

Return to “Sound Design”