FM Sound Design

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to recreate this bass sample, or even better, where it may come from. It sounds like an overlaid FM bass, but is pretty intricate.
I'm really not sure if it's directly from hardware, could be a VST or sample library.

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MH7Ev ... jXZyoBd8gN

Why repeat the post you already made here?
viewtopic.php?p=7361324

Its pointless.

It definitely sounds like FM. But pretty intricate?
Not sure what you mean by that, but I'd be surprised...

Sounds like a 2 (or 3) operator stack with some feedback.
Short decay on modulators env to some 80%/90% sustain (of say a second or so).
Guess there's no env on the carrier at all (since overall amplitude curve sounds like 0% --> 100% --> 0%)

Maybe I'll give it a quick try later today (using Dexed, a free DX7 emulation).
Sounds a bit Lo-Fi too. Might be the 10-bit DAC of a DX7.
Or even some 8-bit OPL chip.
But Dexed can emulate that too.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 pm Why repeat the post you already made here?
viewtopic.php?p=7361324

Its pointless.
yes, it seems this is the better place so I removed the other one
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Just had a quick try...with Dexed FM
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dexed- ... l-suburban

Ended op using 2 layers (2 x 3 operator stacks, algorithm 4).
Using operators 4, 5, 6 (with feedback from op4 back into op6 set to 4) for the attack to sustain transition.
I needed the extra layer (operators 1, 2, 3) to fill in the static lower spectrum (around the first partial)

Stack 1 (1,2,3), ratio/level 1 (99), 3 (68), 3 (0=off)
No envelope/modulation on carrier (op1) or modulator (op2).

Stack 2 (4,5,6), ratio/level 1 (100), 2 (88), 3 (73)
Envelope/modulation only to both modulators (op5 and op6)
Env5 decays to 88 at rate 41 (fast)
Env6 decays to 97 at rate 19 (slow)

It's not an exact replica, but already shares a lot of the characteristics from your example....

Hink wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:20 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 pm Why repeat the post you already made here?
viewtopic.php?p=7361324

Its pointless.
yes, it seems this is the better place so I removed the other one
I'm sorry, I thought I deleted the hardware section post as I hadn't seen the sound design forums before posting there

no problem, I picked the right one...in the future members can only lock their own threads not delete them but you can hit the report button and I'll delete it :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:11 pm no problem, I picked the right one...in the future members can only lock their own threads not delete them but you can hit the report button and I'll delete it :)
Good to know, thank you!

Return to “Sound Design”