humanize sounds trough imperfections (vynil noise, analog emulators etc)

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i am a big fan of adding slight imperfections to my mixes like vynil noise, or weird types distortions.. i also try to make my synths sound as analog as possible..

now my question: can some of you throw in some more ideas than the above to add that little bit of imperfection to your mix? are there fx plugins i really need, or mixing tips & tricks regarding that topic?

izotope vynil has a flutter setting which really help.
other than that it's all about imperfections so hooking up LFO's to pitch and volume, even filters but only in small amounts as to create instabilities in the sound.
100% accuracy sounds digital
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CHOOS wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 pm izotope vynil has a flutter setting which really help.
other than that it's all about imperfections so hooking up LFO's to pitch and volume, even filters but only in small amounts as to create instabilities in the sound.
100% accuracy sounds digital
Thanks for the suggestion. Anybody else?

Generally "analog" is associated with "instable" and "noisy". And "digital" is often associated with "stable" and "clean".

I guess that's what you mean by "as analog as possible?"

Many digital synths offer all sorts of ways insert all sorts of "imperfections" into the control- an signalpath. Like oscillator pitch instability, noise, filter (over)drive and/or filter noise.

When talking distortion (a very general term) ....there gazillions of varieties out there. Free and commercial. All sorts of different algorithms, principles and controls. Just try some.
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/instru ... sts/newest

If you like high quality stuff of the more adventurous kind, check out some of Airwindows more unusual plugins.
https://www.airwindows.com/category/free/

+1 to everything said above.

Softube Tape is very good at this kind of thing (open the side panel for the instability settings) and its saturation is pleasing to the ear. Also AudioThing Reels.
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Sound Design”